PDA

View Full Version : Aged Tubulars

VanBikeGuy
08-20-2020, 02:48 PM
I have some new old stock performance tubulars (Vittoria's) that I planned to use years old, but never got around to. They have been sitting with tags folded in a box in my garage for likely 5+ years. The garage isn't heated and the weather in the garage can vary between between 35 and 90 degrees fahrenheit.

The tires look as the new as when I bought and I don't see any visible cracks. I just found myself a nice used tubulars and thinking of gluing up these tires.

Should I be concerned?

I've heard of aging tires before, but I probably should have had them in a dark basement at a consistent temperature. I'd like to use them if I can, but don't want to go through the gluing hassle if they won't perform.

paredown
08-20-2020, 03:04 PM
Inside a box = no UV, so likely no cracks. I'd say put 'em on rims dry and pump them up to stretch and get ready for gluing. You'll know soon enough if they are good, but I expect they are fine.

I just pumped up the tires today on my old racing bike--the tubs are from probably the mid '80s--it has been stored inside on display and not ridden, and they pumped up fine and are holding air...

redir
08-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Nah. You will be fine. I've had tubulars that were probably 30 years old and used them. In fact in many circles aged is desirable.

VanBikeGuy
08-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Awesome! Thanks very much!

tmf
08-20-2020, 10:08 PM
I’ve had some very old tubulars fail with latex tubes. There are some options for retubing a tire if it’s nice enough.

ddtn
08-21-2020, 03:37 AM
Not sure if it's still exercised but race team mechanics used to age tubs for racing. Not 5+ years but the idea is the rubber would harden, making the tires less prone to road debris punctures.

rustychisel
08-21-2020, 04:06 AM
Not sure if it's still exercised but race team mechanics used to age tubs for racing. Not 5+ years but the idea is the rubber would harden, making the tires less prone to road debris punctures.

True. Old Belgian mechanics used to swear by it, nearly everyone else thought it was BS (if you're old enough to buy into the debates).

Now, Shimano or Campagnolo?

martl
08-21-2020, 04:28 AM
True. Old Belgian mechanics used to swear by it, nearly everyone else thought it was BS (if you're old enough to buy into the debates).

Yep i remember when Zabel and Klier were battling for Roubaix, word was the mechanics gave them handbuilt wheels (handbuilt by 80 year old virgins in a cave under the Oude Kvaremont of course) with lovingly aged tubulars (12 year, single rubber tree). It never helped, though :D

oldpotatoe
08-21-2020, 05:49 AM
I have some new old stock performance tubulars (Vittoria's) that I planned to use years old, but never got around to. They have been sitting with tags folded in a box in my garage for likely 5+ years. The garage isn't heated and the weather in the garage can vary between between 35 and 90 degrees fahrenheit.

The tires look as the new as when I bought and I don't see any visible cracks. I just found myself a nice used tubulars and thinking of gluing up these tires.

Should I be concerned?

I've heard of aging tires before, but I probably should have had them in a dark basement at a consistent temperature. I'd like to use them if I can, but don't want to go through the gluing hassle if they won't perform.

'With Italian opera gently playing in the background, next to an unopened bottle of grappa..
No, don't be concerned..the whole gig of aging tires is mostly for older, mostly silk tires and is the stuff of 'old Italian's tale'..glue up and rediscover what a sublime ride tubulars are.

FriarQuade
08-21-2020, 09:15 AM

Now, Shimano or Campagnolo?

Lance "won" 7 tours on tires aged in Julians damp Belgian basement and didn't get a single flat.

Mikej
08-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Sorry folks, the aged tubulars used by pros were not available to the general public. These used an actual cold vulcanized real rubber that benefited from aging. The tubulars available to the general public do not improve with age. I think Hutchinson last released a special batch of pro level tubulars several years ago. The only benefit to modern tubies would be if they were mounted and glued for a couple months before use.

evo111@comcast.net
08-21-2020, 10:17 PM
https://proownedcycling.com/blogs/news/continental-competition-pro-ltd-best-tire-in-the-world

Hindmost
08-22-2020, 04:40 PM
'...the whole gig of aging tires is mostly for older, mostly silk tires and is the stuff of 'old Italian's tale'...

But aging makes everything Italian better: prosciutto, Parmigiano-Reggiano, brunello de montepulciano...

sw3759
08-22-2020, 09:22 PM
https://proownedcycling.com/blogs/news/continental-competition-pro-ltd-best-tire-in-the-world

Continental Pro ltd,interesting,certainly never heard of those.wonder how long they have been around?
curious anyone here ever seen or used these?

Etienne
08-23-2020, 12:29 AM
Continental Pro ltd,interesting,certainly never heard of those.wonder how long they have been around?
curious anyone here ever seen or used these?

The reason why you don't see them often is that they are only sold to pro teams, so you can only buy them NOS or used through pro teams or team-linked resellers.

In fact, Continental ProLtd tubs are the reference in the pro teams since a long long time ... they are just a latex tubed version of the Continental Competition tubular.

Very good RR, superb grip even in the wet and good puncture resistance ... a pure race tubular.

But they lack the road feel and confort of more supple tubulars, like Veloflex and they are scarce, hence very expensive.