PDA

View Full Version : No more 'podium girls' for Tour de France

Tony T
08-20-2020, 08:56 AM
No more 'podium girls' for Tour de France (https://is.gd/zygWNy)

The Tour de France will no longer use two 'podium girls' to assist – and kiss – stage winners and jersey winners after each stage of the race, instead using just one female and one male host to participate in the podium protocols, while the number of other guests on stage will also be reduced.

"We've been used to having the riders on the podium assisted by two hostesses," said Tour director Christian Prudhomme on Wednesday, according to Europe 1. "Now, things are going to be different, using only one élu [local dignitary] and one jersey partner, as well as one hostess and one host, for the first time."

For some years, the practice of two women presenting flowers and sponsors' soft toys to the riders at races like the Tour de France, and then both women simultaneously kissing the riders on both cheeks, has been denounced as sexist and old-fashioned, and Europe 1 reported that a petition in 2019 raised 38,000 signatures agreeing that women "are not objects or rewards". The practice of using 'grid girls' in Formula 1 motor racing was also stopped in 2018, the French radio station pointed out.

It would appear that Tour organisers ASO have listened to what had become the opinion of many, and will instead use one man and one woman to assist the riders with the podium protocol for the stage winners and the classification-jersey holders, while the numbers of local dignitaries and sponsor representatives will also be reduced from five each to just one élu and one partner, Prudhomme said, which also serves to reduce the number of people on the podium while there is a continued coronavirus risk.

"Yes, it's new, but we've already been doing it this way at some of our other races, like Liège-Bastogne-Liège, for 20 years," Prudhomme said, referring to the Belgian Monument, which is also organised by ASO.

Another ASO event, the one-day Flèche Wallonne, used both one male host and one female hostess on the podium at the 2018 edition of the event, and it appeared then that the change at the Tour would, eventually, finally, be inevitable.

josephr
08-20-2020, 09:06 AM
about time.

jkbrwn
08-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Thank god.

XXtwindad
08-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Relic of the past.

makoti
08-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Now, instead of not being able to get on the podium because I'm old and slow, I can't get on it because I'm old and ugly. I guess that's an improvement.

Black Dog
08-20-2020, 09:27 AM
The right call.

FriarQuade
08-20-2020, 09:27 AM
I think replacing the podium girl/grid girl with children would be a great path forward. Nothing would stoke a kid out on bike racing more than sending them up on stage at a major race. Seems like a solid way to build the future of the sport. Could also be a good opportunity to bring people of color into the sport.

Curious when the Giro will follow suite?

Mark McM
08-20-2020, 09:42 AM
[URL="https://is.gd/zygWNy"]
The Tour de France will no longer use two 'podium girls' to assist – and kiss – stage winners and jersey winners after each stage of the race, instead using just one female and one male host to participate in the podium protocols, while the number of other guests on stage will also be reduced.

"We've been used to having the riders on the podium assisted by two hostesses," said Tour director Christian Prudhomme on Wednesday, according to Europe 1. "Now, things are going to be different, using only one élu [local dignitary] and one jersey partner, as well as one hostess and one host, for the first time."

For some years, the practice of two women presenting flowers and sponsors' soft toys to the riders at races like the Tour de France, and then both women simultaneously kissing the riders on both cheeks, has been denounced as sexist and old-fashioned, and Europe 1 reported that a petition in 2019 raised 38,000 signatures agreeing that women "are not objects or rewards". The practice of using 'grid girls' in Formula 1 motor racing was also stopped in 2018, the French radio station pointed out.

It would appear that Tour organisers ASO have listened to what had become the opinion of many, and will instead use one man and one woman to assist the riders with the podium protocol for the stage winners and the classification-jersey holders, while the numbers of local dignitaries and sponsor representatives will also be reduced from five each to just one élu and one partner, Prudhomme said, which also serves to reduce the number of people on the podium while there is a continued coronavirus risk.

"Yes, it's new, but we've already been doing it this way at some of our other races, like Liège-Bastogne-Liège, for 20 years," Prudhomme said, referring to the Belgian Monument, which is also organised by ASO.

Another ASO event, the one-day Flèche Wallonne, used both one male host and one female hostess on the podium at the 2018 edition of the event, and it appeared then that the change at the Tour would, eventually, finally, be inevitable.

The title of the article is misleading. They are not eliminating podiums girls, they are simply reducing the number, and renaming them "Hostesses".

fijichf
08-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Podium people.

cludowici
08-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Good

Mark McM
08-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Podium people.

Or "podium host" for both males and females. The term "hostess" is sexist and paternalistic, just like "actress" and "co-ed".

Onno
08-20-2020, 10:15 AM
This from CyclingNews: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-more-podium-girls-for-tour-de-france/

About time. Always found this deeply cringe-worthy, although it was interesting to see how many of the riders themselves seemed to find it really awkward.

OtayBW
08-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Not even an elbow bump?

Keith A
08-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Merged two threads.

Skenry
08-20-2020, 11:03 AM
I'll be the dissenter I guess. I see nothing wrong with it, they signed up for it and are nice to look at.

Hopefully the one that's left will be hot enough to make up for it.

Onno
08-20-2020, 11:11 AM
I'll be the dissenter I guess. I see nothing wrong with it, they signed up for it and are nice to look at.

And this is why it's good they are no longer having them.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Yep, I'm with you. I'm sure there was never an issue finding woman that wanted to do this. By the time we get done with all the PC crap there will be nothing of personal choice left. I bet people would be a lot happier is they quite trying so hard to be offended by everything in life.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 11:15 AM
And this is why it's good they are no longer having them.

Why, because someone is honest enough to admit to being attracted to women? Animal attraction in humans just happens to be a very natural thing despite the popular silly notion now to try and say it isn't. Let the flames roll!
:banana::banana:

Big Dan
08-20-2020, 11:15 AM
Some people are just predictable.

dddd
08-20-2020, 11:35 AM
Mark my words, this won't bring stasis, and if it does then it will just prime the pump for some extreme swing in the opposite direction.

Just as prohibition put traditional elements of the business out of business, setting the stage for the corporate side of the industry to move in and establish a stronghold.

So in this case, what keeps the pendulum from swinging wildly in a few years, with, say, the corporate "adult"-leaning entertainment industry from swooping in to "save" the declining tradition-based sport from irrelevance?

Might the corporate sponsors perhaps not even object? Times change, count on it.

Picturing the poor sod on the podium, wearing lycra, with bikini-clad voluptuous dancers keeping the crowd interested.

Forgot my medication this am, be right back...

Black Dog
08-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Why, because someone is honest enough to admit to being attracted to women? Animal attraction in humans just happens to be a very natural thing despite the popular silly notion now to try and say it isn't. Let the flames roll!
:banana::banana:

Nothing wrong with being attracted to another human. The bigger issue here is that their role is to act as attractions. This is what reduces women to objects and from complex beings. We have truly objectified women enough. The consequences of objectification are real and destructive.

No one is losing their freedom, in fact we are giving women freedom when we do these things. Freedom from objectification, harassment, assault, and having to live in fear. Freedoms and rights are not unlimited. No one lives in a vacuum, we all interact.

Mike V
08-20-2020, 11:55 AM
IBTL it's going to get political :banana:

dddd
08-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Nothing wrong with being attracted to another human. The bigger issue here is that their role is to act as attractions. This is what reduces women to objects and from complex beings. We have truly objectified women enough. The consequences of objectification are real and destructive.

No one is losing their freedom, in fact we are giving women freedom when we do these things. Freedom from objectification, harassment, assault, and having to live in fear. Freedoms and rights are not unlimited. No one lives in a vacuum, we all interact.

^^^Pretty well describes the situation imo.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 12:03 PM

LOL, ask the ladies seeking to do this if anything you said is even their reality.

Sometimes I wonder if the ones that scream the loudest about stuff like this are really just afraid of themselves?

d_douglas
08-20-2020, 12:08 PM

I equate this role to women being like a piece of meat being dangled in front of mostly lazy, but hormonally interested lions. Whats the point - eye candy? Gross.
Lets just skip it.

Nothing wrong with being attracted to other people, but the animal side of things is a tradition that is best left to die (IMO). Ive not been to many races (and not once on a podium :)!! ) but the few times that I have seen 'podium girls' onstage, I cant help but think they'd rather be doing something else. Theyre in it for the paycheque, but I bet they'd rather not be in stupid outfits being stared at by people.

I hope my daughter never asks to do it!

jtakeda
08-20-2020, 12:16 PM
I'm sure there was never an issue finding woman that wanted to do this.

So by your logic should workers be given minimum wage protections? Or healthcare? Or any labor rights at that?

there was never an issue finding people that "wanted" to do the work so whats the problem?

dddd
08-20-2020, 12:18 PM
There are surely people who like the limelight of being on stage for a prestigious public event like a podium ceremony.

Perhaps then the podium gal position should be purely voluntary?

I guarantee you that they would fill that position.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 12:27 PM
So by your logic should workers be given minimum wage protections? Or healthcare? Or any labor rights at that?

there was never an issue finding people that "wanted" to do the work so whats the problem?

LOL, what's really funny is I'm defending this and I honestly can't think of a single time I've watched any podium presentation from a race. Just sick of this trend in society to be offended by everything. And if you don't agree with the PC crowd look out, LOL! :):):)

Jaybee
08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
If you have an overwhelming need to treat women as sexual objects, I assure there are still many places, real and virtual, for you to do so. A bike racing podium doesn't need to be one of them.

gdw
08-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Meh, nobody cares about pro cycling anyways. They never have the Tour on any of the big screens at Hooters.

Matthew
08-20-2020, 12:43 PM
Just have that transgender world champion do it. He's used to stealing podium spots from real women. He'll have the same size legs as the race winner so no one's offended right? And then there's no need to have two podium people.

Plum Hill
08-20-2020, 12:43 PM
I’ve heard more than a few women checking out the winner’s “package” while on the podium.
Should we wrap the winner in a burlap sack?

jtbadge
08-20-2020, 12:47 PM
This thread is rife with Paceline "no politics" greatest hits:
-misogyny
-whining about "PC culture"
-transphobia
-whataboutism

I'm impressed!

Bruce K
08-20-2020, 01:00 PM
Once again we have missed an opportunity for civil discussion about a current topic.

BK