PDA

View Full Version : eBay Kirk

Ken Robb
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
The bike was built for a guy who is nearly my clone so the fit is good. He is a really nice guy with lots of experience building bikes and a tool collection to die for. I'd still be struggling with the build were it not for Damon. One of the stumpers for me: one tooth on the inner cog (13 tooth) hit the brazing on the chain stay and I couldn't find it. A little Dremel magic and a 1mm reduction and all was good.

I rode it a few miles today and it's a good ride with good gearing for an old geezer in hilly country: 48-38-28 with 13-29 cassette. Hey Dave, didn't these Zephyr Cranks spend some time on your Kirk? Yo Frank, didn't this triple front derailer spend some time on yours?

The handling is quicker than my Rambouillet and probably close to the Hampsten--a tiny bit slower than the Legend.

More impressions to follow after more riding.

Jeff N.
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a winner, Ken. Congrats! Jeff N.

Ken Robb
02-02-2007, 11:59 PM
it is a lot better looking in person with the wet JB paint, grey windows in the fork, smoooth fillets and grey Brooks Pro.

palincss
02-03-2007, 07:06 AM
it is a lot better looking in person with the wet JB paint, grey windows in the fork, smoooth fillets and grey Brooks Pro.

Pictures...?

Ken Robb
02-03-2007, 07:08 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that I posted a photo in the gallery. I've had a couple of questions about how I found it. A forumite posted a link to an auction for a "56cm" Kirk. That would be too small for me but I like Kirks so I looked anyway and also clicked "Sellers Other Items" and here was a 62cm listed for $995 or make an offer. One offer had been turned down. The bike was in San Diego so I sent a request to the seller to let me see the bike thinking I'd offer him $900 in green crispies if it checked out, saving him the bother of dealing with checks and shipping/packing.

Then, and this is difficult for someone with two Scottish parents, I decided that I'd just pay the list price. It was very fair and I would have felt stupid if someone else had bought it while I was trying to save $100.

Here comes the moral to the story: The seller threw in a Chris King headset and did more work on the build than I did. We'll probably have some fun together with cars and bikes in the future and he can ride the Kirk once in a while for old times' sake. There might have been a very different relationship if I had tried to grind him on his price. If a guy offers you a dime for a nickel should you offer him four cents for the sake of negotiation? :rolleyes:

39cross
02-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Nice looking bike, and a great story. Very cool all the way 'round.