PDA

View Full Version : Help on Campagnolo Delta Brakes.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 07:38 AM
I know we have some experts on Campagnolo around here so I thought I'd reach out for some expert advice.

Recently picked up a "grail" bike that came with 3 Pivot Delta Brakes. All cabling and such was disconnected during shipment. Time and again I've seen reference to Campagnolo using a stiffer brake cable than normal for these.

I'm just wondering what's my best easily available option for new cables as I set this bike back up? Do I need to seek out some old correct Campagnolo cables or will something modern from like Jagwire get the job done.

First time having a pair of these and google searching gives you answers all over the place.

This is the bike.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170967195.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-20-2020, 07:53 AM
I know we have some experts on Campagnolo around here so I thought I'd reach out for some expert advice.

Recently picked up a "grail" bike that came with 3 Pivot Delta Brakes. All cabling and such was disconnected during shipment. Time and again I've seen reference to Campagnolo using a stiffer brake cable than normal for these.

I'm just wondering what's my best easily available option for new cables as I set this bike back up? Do I need to seek out some old correct Campagnolo cables or will something modern from like Jagwire get the job done.

First time having a pair of these and google searching gives you answers all over the place.

This is the bike.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170967195.jpg

Nice rigs...nope, just normal, stainless road brake cables are fine with lined 5mm brake housing. I use Jagwire on mine.

martl
08-20-2020, 08:34 AM
Pre-order a 3.5mm Allen while you're at it :)

Verrrrry nice bike BTW!

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Nice rigs...nope, just normal, stainless road brake cables are fine with lined 5mm brake housing. I use Jagwire on mine.

Awesome, thanks Pete! The voice of reason I trust.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Pre-order a 3.5mm Allen while you're at it :)

Verrrrry nice bike BTW!

Right! I've been wanting to add one of these Lemonds to my stable forever. I finally pulled the trigger.

Seller actually was real cool and included the needed Allen wrench with the bike.

Columbus SLX
08-20-2020, 09:39 AM
One of the tricks about setting up Deltas is getting the cable to exactly the right length so it doesn't stick out / rub the tire, nor be too short for safety. You'll want to rough it in and carefully mark its desired length, then remove it for the actual cut. Use good cable cutters to ensure no deforming of the cable, because when you thread it back in it'll fray if misshapen. And yeah, glad you got the 3.5mm allen. Good luck!

choke
08-20-2020, 09:46 AM
One of the tricks about setting up Deltas is getting the cable to exactly the right length so it doesn't stick out / rub the tire, nor be too short for safety. You'll want to rough it in and carefully mark its desired length, then remove it for the actual cut. Use good cable cutters to ensure no deforming of the cable, because when you thread it back in it'll fray if misshapen. And yeah, glad you got the 3.5mm allen. Good luck!Once I have the brakes set up like I want, I tighten the bolt down and leave the cable in place. I take the wheel off and use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. There is enough room between the bottom of the cable holder and the brake body to get the cut-off wheel in and cut the cable. It's so much easier than trying to get the cut cable back into the slot with it fraying.

thirdgenbird
08-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Alternatively, here is my process:

Set brakes with wheel in
Take wheel out
Put cable tie around pads to hold brake in place
Mark where the cable needs cut and clamped
Loosen cable clamp bolt
Pull cable tighter and cut cable
Tighten cable clamp bolt back on original marks
Cut cable tie and install wheel

It sounds a bit complex, but went very quickly and easily with no special tools outside of the hex key.

Beautiful bike.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 11:22 AM
Alternatively, here is my process:

Set brakes with wheel in
Take wheel out
Put cable tie around pads to hold brake in place
Mark where the cable needs cut and clamped
Loosen cable clamp bolt
Pull cable tighter and cut cable
Tighten cable clamp bolt back on original marks
Cut cable tie and install wheel

It sounds a bit complex, but went very quickly and easily with no special tools outside of the hex key.

Beautiful bike.

Yep this is the method I've seen used a lot. I just wish my soldering iron was up to the job of flowing solder along the length were the cut is going to happen. That would eliminate any fraying. I do have some really good cutter though so will see how it goes.

Curious to see how the old pads work too, LOL!

bikinchris
08-20-2020, 03:31 PM
One of the tricks about setting up Deltas is getting the cable to exactly the right length so it doesn't stick out / rub the tire, nor be too short for safety. You'll want to rough it in and carefully mark its desired length, then remove it for the actual cut. Use good cable cutters to ensure no deforming of the cable, because when you thread it back in it'll fray if misshapen. And yeah, glad you got the 3.5mm allen. Good luck!

I used to carefully solder the cable before reinserting.
Compressionless housing would help brake feel and modulation.

Columbus SLX
08-20-2020, 03:48 PM
I used to carefully solder the cable before reinserting.
Compressionless housing would help brake feel and modulation.

Definitely. I now finish all cable ends with 56% silver instead of crimp-on things, but, not novice work. It's fun when guys on group rides tell me I forgot cable crimps, and I get to tell them to look closer.

m_sasso
08-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Cyanoacrylate, no solider gun required.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 07:25 PM
Cyanoacrylate, no solider gun required.

Hmmm.....does that really work? Hadn't thought of it.

jamesdak
08-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Definitely. I now finish all cable ends with 56% silver instead of crimp-on things, but, not novice work. It's fun when guys on group rides tell me I forgot cable crimps, and I get to tell them to look closer.

Old army electronic tech, I can definitely handle the soldering just don't have the gear. Lot of times I wish I had an old Pace soldering station around for use....

colker
08-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Old army electronic tech, I can definitely handle the soldering just don't have the gear. Lot of times I wish I had an old Pace soldering station around for use....

There is always space for another tool. Very cool bike. 54 or 55 cm?

bikinchris
08-20-2020, 09:58 PM
When I first started working on bikes, I had access to my dad's welding and cutting gear. Soldering is not necessary when you cut the cable with an acetylene torch.
Also, someone makes an electric cable cutter that cuts and welds the end, so no crimp is needed. These high quality stainless steel cables are pretty hard to solder.

Mike V
08-20-2020, 11:12 PM
I have always soldered mine. Takes seconds. Never had any problems with the newer ones either. Just got to know the little tricks.

m_sasso
08-20-2020, 11:39 PM
Cable end dipped in the correct flux is key, I prefer MG Chemicals, liquid Rosin Flux.

54ny77
08-20-2020, 11:42 PM
wowwwwww that's a great bike. kudos to you! need more pics!

oldpotatoe
08-21-2020, 05:57 AM
Once I have the brakes set up like I want, I tighten the bolt down and leave the cable in place. I take the wheel off and use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. There is enough room between the bottom of the cable holder and the brake body to get the cut-off wheel in and cut the cable. It's so much easier than trying to get the cut cable back into the slot with it fraying.

Agree. I use a sharp set of kinda pointy cable cutters..cut it cleanly at the very bottom were it comes out..no need to measure, remove, cut and then try to reinstall..

Lots of decent 'techniques..First, barrel adjuster on brake all the way down, I then open the brake lever, pull the cable tight thru the brake caliper w/o the wheel in, tighten 3.5mm allen with 9mm open-end holding the outside of the fixing 'nut'..close brake..put a block of wood between brake blocks, SQUEEZE, to seat housing in lever(NO Bar Tape yet), compress housing, stretch cable..AND to ensure 3.5mm allen is holding..Wheel in, check for clearance, tighten with barrel adjuster...CUT cable cleanly at bottom...cover on, tape bars, go ride.

jamesdak
08-21-2020, 06:24 AM
There is always space for another tool. Very cool bike. 54 or 55 cm?

It's a 54, small end of what I ride. True measurement has the seat tube right under 54 cm CTC with the top tube right under 56 cm CTC.

I actually won't be able to ride it with that Campagnolo seatpost as it's too short by about 3/4".

Seller thought it was a 56cm.

It's the same dimensions as my Ventoux which I have set up as my "comfort" century rider so I know this will work for me. Not that this beauty will see that many rides.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170850345.jpg

This Ventoux is super cushy on even rough chipseal with that Brooks saddle and bar gel under the cork tape. Those wheels are old Team Saturn tubulars that came on a custom Lemond that Greg had given to an old Team Saturn rider. Got some nice cushy Veloflex Vlaandeeren tubs on it.

jamesdak
08-21-2020, 06:26 AM
wowwwwww that's a great bike. kudos to you! need more pics!

I'll do my usual detailed photo shoot once I get it back together. I'm still working full time and finally getting a lot of miles on the bikes as I work back from an injury. Hard to find bike maintenance time.....