PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions: Road Double Cranks for 83mm Bottom Bracket

Lewis Moon
08-19-2020, 10:03 PM
Welp... This modern bike building 5#!+ is getting expensively weird. I just discovered my Cannondale SuperX has an 83mm BB shell. Gahk! Can anyone suggest a road double crankset with a spindle that will fit an 83mm BB shell? Not Shimano if possible (Campy group). Something nice, black and roady but easy(ish) on the budget.

CMiller
08-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Threaded or press fit? I imagine its weird Cannondale wide press fit?

CMiller
08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
The Cannondale Hologram Sl crankset looks really nice but I've never used it.

slowpoke
08-19-2020, 10:43 PM
Easton/RaceFace cranks have removeable spindles. Buy some EA90s and a wider spindle from RaceFace.

Mark McM
08-19-2020, 10:54 PM
That sounds like the BB30A83 bottom bracket "standard". I don't think there are any Campagnolo Ultra-Torque cups to fit that "standard", but you can can get cups to fit most 30mm and 24mm spindle cranks.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 06:08 AM
That sounds like the BB30A83 bottom bracket "standard". I don't think there are any Campagnolo Ultra-Torque cups to fit that "standard", but you can can get cups to fit most 30mm and 24mm spindle cranks.
So, you're saying this is a BB standard issue and basically a set of Force or Red Sram cranks will be good? That sounds MUCH better. I thought with such a wide BB it would need MTB cranks.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 06:24 AM
One final question before I start looking for other cranks: Is there absolutely no way to fit a set of Ultra Torque Campagnolo cranks on an 83mm bottom bracket?

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 06:38 AM
OK, I lied... More questions: Is there a Campy crank that will fit the Cannondale 83 mm shell? I've been riding UltraTorque cranks for the last umpty years and I have been out of the loop.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 07:36 AM
Will this work with my ultra torque?
https://www.modernbike.com/sram-truvativ-pressfit-30-to-83mm-english-thread-bottom-bracket-adaptor

Mark McM
08-20-2020, 10:06 AM
Will this work with my ultra torque?
https://www.modernbike.com/sram-truvativ-pressfit-30-to-83mm-english-thread-bottom-bracket-adaptor

That almost certainly won't work. Some MTBs use 83mm threaded BB shells, but Ultra-Torque cups are only available for 68mm and 70mm threaded BB shells.

I may have mis-spoke a bit earlier - there are BB30A83 adapters that will fit 30mm and 24mm spindle MTB cranks, but no so much for road cranks. While the spindles of many 30mm and 24mm road cranks can theoretically fit a BB30A83 BB shell if the proper cups or adapters were available, a little googling indicates that there may be some chainline/chainring clearance issues on the frames that use BB30A83 shells.

An BB30A83 BB shell intended to be used with 30mm spindles and direct fit bearings, although it should be possible to use press-fit cups with 24mm spindles. Your bet might be to either use a 3 piece 30mm spindle crank with removable spindles, and select the spindle length that provides the correct chainline/chainring clearance, or to use a 2 piece crank with a 30mm spindle that is designed for using with ether a BB30 or BB86 bottom bracket, and then using spacers to adjust the crank offset as necessary for chainring clearance.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 10:20 AM
That almost certainly won't work. Some MTBs use 83mm threaded BB shells, but Ultra-Torque cups are only available for 68mm and 70mm threaded BB shells.

I may have mis-spoke a bit earlier - there are BB30A83 adapters that will fit 30mm and 24mm spindle MTB cranks, but no so much for road cranks. While the spindles of many 30mm and 24mm road cranks can theoretically fit a BB30A83 BB shell if the proper cups or adapters were available, a little googling indicates that there may be some chainline/chainring clearance issues on the frames that use BB30A83 shells.

An BB30A83 BB shell intended to be used with 30mm spindles and direct fit bearings, although it should be possible to use press-fit cups with 24mm spindles. Your bet might be to either use a 3 piece 30mm spindle crank with removable spindles, and select the spindle length that provides the correct chainline/chainring clearance, or to use a 2 piece crank with a 30mm spindle that is designed for using with ether a BB30 or BB86 bottom bracket, and then using spacers to adjust the crank offset as necessary for chainring clearance.

It looked like that one was recessed to decrease width...

Mark McM
08-20-2020, 10:29 AM
It looked like that one was recessed to decrease width...

One of the issues with BB30A83 is that it has a smallish 42mm internal diameter, that's intended for 42MM OD/30mm ID bearings to be pressed in directly. English (BSA/ISO) threading is 1 3/8", or roughly 35mm, plus you need extra diameter for the lip of the threaded cup, and then you'd need room for a tool around the lip. There's just no room inside the 42mm shell to be able to recess an English threaded cup. Only Cannondale has used the BB30A83 "standard", and only on a very few specialty models - the population of these BB shells isn't large enough for 3rd parties to come up with solutions for it.

Lewis Moon
08-20-2020, 10:37 AM
One of the issues with BB30A83 is that it has a smallish 42mm internal diameter, that's intended for 42MM OD/30mm ID bearings to be pressed in directly. English (BSA/ISO) threading is 1 3/8", or roughly 35mm, plus you need extra diameter for the lip of the threaded cup, and then you'd need room for a tool around the lip. There's just no room inside the 42mm shell to be able to recess an English threaded cup. Only Cannondale has used the BB30A83 "standard", and only on a very few specialty models - the population of these BB shells isn't large enough for 3rd parties to come up with solutions for it.

While my frame is clearly marked BB30, the shell diameter is 46mm measured.

https://www.cannondalespares.com/img/bike_models/exploded/superx-2017.jpg

Mark McM
08-20-2020, 11:00 AM
If the shell is 46mm, then it is PF30. Apparently, Cannondale has put "BB30" labels on many frames that aren't actually BB30: https://www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/cannondale-bb30a-and-pf30a-explained (SRAM has done a similar thing, labelling some of their cranks "BB30, when they are actually closer to BB386.)

PF30 uses cups with a 46mm outer diameter that have 42mm bearings pressed into them, and these cups are then pressed into the frame. The use of separate cups opens up more possibilities, but only if somebody makes cups designed for a certain shell width. Ultra-Torque uses bearings mounted on the spindle at a specific width, the cups must also be positioned at a specific width. Campagnolo makes a variety of different Ultra-Torque cups that fit different BB shell inner diameters and widths, but not one for 46mm x 83mm.

Lewis Moon
08-21-2020, 09:02 AM
I'm going to bump this because I need suggestions.

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2020, 09:13 AM
What model year is your SuperX? Was it intended/designed for 1X only?

Seems to be a lot of proprietary stuff going on with this rig. You've determined there's not a Hollogram 2X crankset that will work?

Lewis Moon
08-21-2020, 10:34 AM
What model year is your SuperX? Was it intended/designed for 1X only?

Seems to be a lot of proprietary stuff going on with this rig. You've determined there's not a Hollogram 2X crankset that will work?

'17-18. It has a front hanger and cable routing so it's not a proprietary 1X. I'm exploring the Hollowgram cranks because the purpose built SRAM cranks cost ~$400.

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Well, that's good. The Hollograms are pretty expensive usually, but they're pretty awesome, right? That would seem the "best" solution by keeping it in the family as it were.

Lewis Moon
08-21-2020, 11:15 AM
Well, that's good. The Hollograms are pretty expensive usually, but they're pretty awesome, right? That would seem the "best" solution by keeping it in the family as it were.

Yeah...This build keeps throwing in new wrinkles and demanding more cash.

DRZRM
08-21-2020, 01:17 PM
I will only say this because I swear that someone was hawking one of these here recently (maybe in Australia) through the classifieds with installation tools and it was cheap ($200?).

The Campy Over Torque Ultra cranks would fit that frame I think (86.5, right?) but only if you find everything you need to be able to assemble and disassemble in a package for cheap. I have them on my Firefly and they are awesome, light and stiff! Once set up, they have been flawless. There are easier fixes for sure, but if going on a Campy bike, these could work for you.

Lewis Moon
08-21-2020, 02:29 PM
I will only say this because I swear that someone was hawking one of these here recently (maybe in Australia) through the classifieds with installation tools and it was cheap ($200?).

The Campy Over Torque Ultra cranks would fit that frame I think (86.5, right?) but only if you find everything you need to be able to assemble and disassemble in a package for cheap. I have them on my Firefly and they are awesome, light and stiff! Once set up, they have been flawless. There are easier fixes for sure, but if going on a Campy bike, these could work for you.

It's an 83 X 46 BB. I was hoping, since this was an unexpected cost, I could spend less than $200 for cranks....looks like I was living a dream.

Let's see...I bought a right/rear Campy H11 shifter/brake for $196...but the left is now going for $500+...I decided to go with Paul Klampers and my current Chorus 11 shifters, but those are going for $229 each and currently unavailable, and now the cranks are pretty much proprietary and the ones actually made for the SuperX are $400 - 500 and I already have a set of beautiful Chorus 175s in the compact flavor complete with Praxis BB adapter (I have two!) for the BB30 which the frame is prominently marked for (It's a PF30, 83mm wide)
Yeah, I'm frustrated.

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm frustrated.

Lately I've taken to creating a spreadsheet and building a bike on paper to see what's what before actually buying the frame or first bits. I've been in your shoes. Sucks. Sorry, man.

.RJ
08-21-2020, 05:37 PM
I'm going to bump this because I need suggestions.

Call up Kogel bearings and ask them to sell you what you need - it may also be 'BB30A' or assymetric, i.e. its offset 5mm, which complicates things.