PDA

View Full Version : Small Frame....130mm Stem +6' - Strong Objections?

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 08:27 PM
So my Renovo has a crack and can thankfully be repaired, but it's gonna be awhile. I found a great deal on a Cannondale Synapse that I can simply swap out the componentry, but it's a tad small. By my measurements I need a 130mm stem pointed up to get the fit the same as the Renovo.

Aesthetics aren't ideal, but it should still handle ok? I was prob too quick to the trigger on this...it is an "in between" ride for me and not the end all.

charliedid
08-19-2020, 08:40 PM
If you already own it just ride it. You do own it right?

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 08:42 PM
Yep it's here...

It's not "unreasonable" aseptically or functionally, right? RIGHT?!

:bike:

charliedid
08-19-2020, 08:46 PM
Yep it's here...

It's lousy and you know it but it's a placeholder so unless someone wants to trade you...

How long to fix the broken bike?

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Sounds like it could be months with the backup. Plus the synapse is a little more suitable to the riding I’m doing now...

Damn! Maybe I should just go slightly more aggressive with my drop. Then I could go 120 inverted...

My look has a the handle bars 9cm lower than the seat, the renovo 7cm. But I’m so much more comfy on the renovo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
08-19-2020, 09:01 PM
Yeah I was just sort of confirming for you that the bike is indeed too small in the ideal and not buy it if it was simply something you were considering.

If it's the only other bike then just ride it IMO

Not sure that helps :)

charliedid
08-19-2020, 09:03 PM
Or just find a 110 stem and run it the right way.

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 09:05 PM
It does help... Thanks! I think the 120 stem will work. Still a more relaxed drop that the look, but not as much as the renovo. There’s an XL Parlee that looks great, but it costs over double what this guy was. Seems like it will be ok, just not the dream bike!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200820/225ab57ee056d2163fb4c9ab3169c9b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
08-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Yeah, same reach but 3cm drop.

Sounds like a plan.

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 09:18 PM
Stupid question... but is 100/110 the "right" stem length for a properly sized bike?

charliedid
08-19-2020, 09:22 PM
Stupid question... but is 100/110 the "right" stem length for a properly sized bike?

Impossible question really but I'd say 100-120 on that size frame is normal range.

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Impossibly stupid question! :banana:

I'm gonna give it a try with the 120mm with the -6'.

Thanks for the support!

Dave
08-19-2020, 09:36 PM
This is when having accurate stack and reach values makes it much easier to match the fit on two frames. There's nothing wrong with a 130mm stem. A 130 stem with 80mm reach bars would have the same reach as a 110mm stem with 100mm reach bars. A long torsoed rider could easily need such a setup.

yinzerniner
08-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Impossibly stupid question! :banana:

I'm gonna give it a try with the 120mm with the -6'.

Thanks for the support!

Synapses are stupid great value for their versatility and ride quality. Only downside is that dumb AI bb offset.

The latest gen easily fit 32mm, 30mm with fenders, and has great sharp but relaxed handling. Tons of comfort in the back end with the sloping TT and thin post

Should be a blast to ride, and the flipped stem makes a huge difference aesthetically.

hairylegs
08-19-2020, 09:38 PM
I get stupid with stack/reach. But that doesn't stop me from trying!

I don't even know my handle bar reach! I know I should...

Thanks for the support, y'all!

pdmtong
08-20-2020, 01:27 AM
Synapses are stupid great value for their versatility and ride quality. Only downside is that dumb AI bb offset.

The latest gen easily fit 32mm, 30mm with fenders, and has great sharp but relaxed handling. Tons of comfort in the back end with the sloping TT and thin post

Should be a blast to ride, and the flipped stem makes a huge difference aesthetically.

Agreed. I bought a new 2018 synapse hi-mod on close out with 9170 - DA mech and hydro. Since I got it so cheap I would have to question would I really want to spend almost 5x what I paid for a 2020 SL7.

Imho the synapse is like the ultimate sleeper purchase

And fwiw I run mine slammed -17d since it’s taller than my preference

hairylegs
08-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Love your sig PDM!

This is super encouraging. Can't wait to build this guy up. It's on the small side but think it'll work. I think the 60cm would actually be too large for me anyway!

.RJ
08-20-2020, 09:18 AM
I use this when looking at new frames - https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison

also nothing wrong with a 130 stem. I used one on a serotta 'short' frame I bought a few years ago, it was pro AF :D

Waldo62
08-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Yep it's here...

I wouldn't know about aseptically, but aesthetically, it's not great. Borderline acceptable, but acceptable nevertheless.

dddd
08-20-2020, 12:29 PM
I've swapped many a stem, and a longer one does sometimes do undesirable things to the bike's handling.
Expect slower steering response while in the saddle, some riding time to adjust may fix this if you ride the same bike every day or two.

Also expect possible steering-control issues while riding off of the saddle. A slacker HT angle seems to exacerbate this tendency, but other factors also weigh in so it might be ok.

Using a wider bar with the longer stem should remediate some degree of any off-saddle handling change from use of a longer stem I've found.

I'd give it a go. What is this bike's HT angle?

Might you have heavy toe-overlap with the small frame (has been my issue a couple of times)?

Really long stems make a bike tip-prone under heavy braking.

ridethecliche
08-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Send it!

joshatsilca
08-20-2020, 01:02 PM
So my Renovo has a crack and can thankfully be repaired, but it's gonna be awhile. I found a great deal on a Cannondale Synapse that I can simply swap out the componentry, but it's a tad small. By my measurements I need a 130mm stem pointed up to get the fit the same as the Renovo.

Aesthetics aren't ideal, but it should still handle ok? I was prob too quick to the trigger on this...it is an "in between" ride for me and not the end all.

These are fantastic handling/riding frames and everything will be fine.. you might even be converted to a smaller frame as many pro cyclists ultimately are! I once put both a 130 and 140 -17 on a synapse as part of some classics prep with Taylor Phinney and he liked both.. just be prepared with the 130 +6 for the 'happy to see me' jokes..

Josh

hairylegs
08-20-2020, 05:17 PM
Hahahahah! Happy to see me!

I think the 120 -6 will be ok. Thinking about it the Renovo setup was pretty upright. I could use another cm of drop.

Can't wait to ride this thang!

Thanks all for the support - I needed it!

hairylegs
09-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Following up - it worked out! Fits well I think. Can't wait to do a longer ride.

Except for the seat post dropping since I clearly didn't tighten it enough I want to say this bike is a formidable mix of comfort and performance!

Thanks again!