PDA

View Full Version : Campy Bora 50 Ultra broken spoke

jzinckgra
08-19-2020, 06:07 PM
I broke a spoke on rear wheel. Anyone fix one themselves? I'd rather have LBS fix it, but none of them work on campy wheels.

tuscanyswe
08-19-2020, 06:08 PM
I broke a spoke on rear wheel. Anyone fix one themselves? I'd rather have LBS fix it, but none of them work on campy wheels.

Why wouldent they work on campy wheels its the same thing? Maybe they dont have the spoke but then u can order it and bring it in with the wheel?

jzinckgra
08-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Why wouldent they work on campy wheels its the same thing? Maybe they dont have the spoke but then u can order it and bring it in with the wheel?Will ask them, thanks

rePhil
08-19-2020, 06:46 PM
I bought a Zonda with a broken spoke, found a spoke kit (4 drive side spokes) on eBay and dropped them off at my LBS. Fast forward a couple of days, two spokes were replaced, the wheel was tensioned, true and ready to go.

jzinckgra
08-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Just ordered some spokes online. Thanks again

oldpotatoe
08-20-2020, 07:01 AM

It's just a wheel...uses a black straight pull spoke. Not rocket science.

homagesilkhope
08-20-2020, 12:47 PM
It's just a wheel...uses a black straight pull spoke. Not rocket science.

I hear you, OP. But remarkably for some of our friends - even good friends - it's as if it were. As if they don't see frame and fork and components (much less angles and dimensions) and synergy and beauty, but rather just a bike and that's about all the detail they can handle (or for whatever reason take any interest in). That's it, a bike. Bumped into a friend while waiting at a light coming in yesterday. He's on foot, explained he'd been hit by a van in the Presidio a couple weeks ago, showed me his still blue and yellow hip. We were talking about a replacement for his Masi and I asked about top tube length. He doesn't know! He's 70+ and has been riding since the late 70's and doesn't know how long his top tube is. He's a photographer, so that may be part of it, you know, right-brainer.

Another friend, lives a couple doors away. He takes pictures too. But also has an engineering degree from Stanford, rode coast-to-coast years ago, was getting ready for d-Kanza until recently. Stem adjustments are waaay beyond him. Which I struggle to get my arms around. It is what it is.

r_mutt
08-20-2020, 01:00 PM
a friendly reminder to your mechanic that the spoke should be held in place while twisting the nipple. Not all mechanics know this

I found this (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=127926) helpful when speaking to my LBS about my wheel

jemoryl
08-20-2020, 01:06 PM
a friendly reminder to your mechanic that the spoke should be held in place while twisting the nipple. Not all mechanics know this

I found this (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=127926) helpful when speaking to my LBS about my wheel

Zondas come with a black plastic gizmo for holding the bladed spoke in place while adjusting, I would assume Boras do too. Wouldn't be hard to improvise.

m_sasso
08-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Is there a better tool than the Park ToolSW-11 Campagnolo Spoke Wrench for working on Campagnolo wheels, tell me what your favourite tool is, please?

Is this a better tool? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/22cAAOSwU8hY5eZE/s-l1600.jpg

SoCal Al
08-20-2020, 07:42 PM

FWIW I chased 3 broken spokes on my Bora 35s, DS rear only, over a period of about 9 months. Wheels were new so I checked everything with a couple of LBS- and I mean everything including sending them back to Campy 2x (who were finally sick of me bugging them because they were soooo slow in fixing them). Knock on wood they've "settled in" but I lube the nipples JIC every month with a little bit of oil. It seems to help and is an old LBS tip/trick.

chismog
08-20-2020, 09:26 PM
I have several sets of Campy and Fulcrum wheels. I find them to be superior quality and generally don't require much maintenance.

However, occasionally I have had some broken spokes, and the issue was the special parts. You can't just stick in some other spoke and have it work correctly. And for something like a Bora, you wouldn't want to anyway.

Spare parts are, fortunately, easy to get. Not necessarily cheap, but usually available. As others said, once you have the right parts for the job, repair is pretty simple.

There is some non-user-friendly stuff baked into some of the wheels, and I can see why your LBS might balk. For example, the solid rim beds require a stupid magnet insert to get the nipple in place for the spoke. Or, older stuff with hidden nipples (Nucleon tubulars) required me to take the tire off to fix a spoke or true the wheel.

Still, I've had excellent results with their wheels and have to dork with them very infrequently.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2020, 06:08 AM
Is there a better tool than the Park ToolSW-11 Campagnolo Spoke Wrench for working on Campagnolo wheels, tell me what your favourite tool is, please?

Is this a better tool? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/22cAAOSwU8hY5eZE/s-l1600.jpg

Not better, both work well and as for holding the straight pull spoke while truing..I have this..pricey but I build a lot of wheels.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2020, 06:09 AM
FWIW I chased 3 broken spokes on my Bora 35s, DS rear only, over a period of about 9 months. Wheels were new so I checked everything with a couple of LBS- and I mean everything including sending them back to Campy 2x (who were finally sick of me bugging them because they were soooo slow in fixing them). Knock on wood they've "settled in" but I lube the nipples JIC every month with a little bit of oil. It seems to help and is an old LBS tip/trick.

Where did you buy them?

marciero
08-21-2020, 09:43 AM

However, occasionally I have had some broken spokes...

...Still, I've had excellent results with their wheels and have to dork with them very infrequently.

It sounds like some of you consider spoke replacement part of regular maintenance. But I guess such is the world of low spoke count boutique wheels.

It's not been mentioned, but I'm assuming that de tensioning the spokes and tensioning evenly rather than simply replacing the broken one is a given here.

SoCal Al
08-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Where did you buy them?

From the original owner, new in box with tags and all. He bought from an online shop (I think) so it wasn't like I could drop by. Other than that I love 'em!

And, BTW, thanks for rebuilding my 2014 SR shifters- loving life!

chismog
08-21-2020, 01:50 PM
No, not really. The two sets I have had to fix were *very* well-used wheels with many thousands of trouble-free miles on them already. I'm pushing their lifespan for sure. The other 4 sets I've never touched, not even to true. I know some think wheelsouttaboxes are inferior or whatever, my experience has been superb with prebuilt Campy wheels. Performance, reliability, and durability have been great for me. Excellent value for sure.

Good point on the detension/tension equalization during repair. I find that's crucial to making the wheels stay in true.

It sounds like some of you consider spoke replacement part of regular maintenance. But I guess such is the world of low spoke count boutique wheels.

It's not been mentioned, but I'm assuming that de tensioning the spokes and tensioning evenly rather than simply replacing the broken one is a given here.