PDA

View Full Version : good lightweight packable jacket

AngryScientist
08-19-2020, 03:48 PM
as the "shoulder" seasons approach, and the fact that the gym is no longer an option, i'm going to be seeking to revamp and bolster some of my cycling and running gear. the outdoors will continue to be my gym for longer into the weather this year.

to start, i would like an affordable, but good packable jacket.

my gold standard that has accompanied me on many, many adventures is the patagonia houdini. packs down in it's own pocket to the size of a tennis ball, durable, reasonably wind/water resistant.

that said, it's not exactly cut for the bike, and has a hood, which flaps in the wind.

what is a good similar piece that is good for on the bike, stashes in a jersey pocket and doesnt cost an arm and leg? bonus if it's pretty good for running too.

rlanger
08-19-2020, 05:10 PM
I have the previous version of this Sportful jacket and it's great.

Super light-weight, tight-fitting and packs up into its own tennis ball-sized pocket.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-6-jacket

I haven't run in it. But, I wouldn't hesitate.

dbnm
08-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Just looked at this Topo Design jacket (https://topodesigns.com/collections/sale-mens-apparel/products/ultralight-jacket?variant=32209273880629) that is on sale

reuben
08-19-2020, 05:36 PM
The Houdini has come in more than one weight over the years. For a windbreaker, I'd suggest the Assos Mille GT Wind jacket. Very light, so mostly a windbreaker, although it can shed some light rain. Packs very very small.

https://www.assos.com/mille-gt-wind-jacket?quantity=1&g=mille-gt-wind-jacket_blackSeries-1-F.jpg&color=145

Gummee
08-19-2020, 05:56 PM
There is only one: Shakedry

M

verticaldoug
08-19-2020, 06:40 PM
The Houdini has come in more than one weight over the years. For a windbreaker, I'd suggest the Assos Mille GT Wind jacket. Very light, so mostly a windbreaker, although it can shed some light rain. Packs very very small.

https://www.assos.com/mille-gt-wind-jacket?quantity=1&g=mille-gt-wind-jacket_blackSeries-1-F.jpg&color=145

I just go with the Wind Vest. If I need the vest, I probably have arm warmers with too. Super small. Great value in my opinion.

I can use the vest with my Equipe RS Sping Fall Jacket for a little more wind protection on colder days... But now the two = $$$. But it is magnificent

AngryScientist
08-21-2020, 12:58 PM
well, went with the made in italy sprotful hot pack.

i own a really good packable vest, but the truth is, my body hates the cold, and if i can keep the wind off my whole upper body, it makes a difference.

will report back

https://s1.thcdn.com/productimg/1600/1600/12037952-3104655099949990.jpg

m_sasso
08-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Sounds and looks good, let us know how it works out, you have to take on Peter! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJakyi-GeQ

I am currently using an Endura FS260-PRO ADRENALINE RACE CAPE II and quite satisfied with is performance, Black Shake Dry just won't cut it for me in low light or darkness.

https://static.endura.co.uk/E9106WH_lg.jpg

scopes
08-21-2020, 04:45 PM
I have the previous version of this Sportful jacket and it's great.

Super light-weight, tight-fitting and packs up into its own tennis ball-sized pocket.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-6-jacket

I haven't run in it. But, I wouldn't hesitate.

well, went with the made in italy sprotful hot pack.

i own a really good packable vest, but the truth is, my body hates the cold, and if i can keep the wind off my whole upper body, it makes a difference.

will report back

*snip img*

I ordered this in my standard size (large) based off Sportful's measurements. I could barely squeeze into it - no way it was going to do up though.

Disappointing as the jacket was exactly what I was hoping it would be: packable, lightweight and decent ventilation.

Angry you may wish to consider sizing up if your order hasn't been shipped yet.

this is the one I had: https://www.probikekit.ca/sports-jackets/sportful-hot-pack-easy-light-jacket/12037952.html

joosttx
08-21-2020, 04:47 PM
I can wear a small in the houdini jacket which makes it more form fitting. I don't think you can go wrong with that jacket.

Wakatel_Luum
08-21-2020, 06:16 PM
I just bought one of these on sale, Rapha Men's Brevet Flyweight Wind Jacket.

But it's Rapha so some might not like it because of the name rather than the fact they make some good stuff.

AngryScientist
08-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Update: I got the Sportful piece in today, and it fits perfectly for on bike use. I think i have a winner. it's very likely it will get some use this weekend as i'm goin up north.

martl
08-27-2020, 03:18 AM
as the "shoulder" seasons approach, and the fact that the gym is no longer an option, i'm going to be seeking to revamp and bolster some of my cycling and running gear. the outdoors will continue to be my gym for longer into the weather this year.

to start, i would like an affordable, but good packable jacket.

my gold standard that has accompanied me on many, many adventures is the patagonia houdini. packs down in it's own pocket to the size of a tennis ball, durable, reasonably wind/water resistant.

that said, it's not exactly cut for the bike, and has a hood, which flaps in the wind.

what is a good similar piece that is good for on the bike, stashes in a jersey pocket and doesnt cost an arm and leg? bonus if it's pretty good for running too.

I got a lot of outdoor gear for hiking etc but I would not use a jacket not designed for riding, they tend to be bulky in some places and too tight in others in a riding position (as you wrote), also the hood is superfluous.
Also riding produces more heat and more sweat than just walking.

I understand the Houdini is just a windbreaker and not meant to be rain protection?

As a windbreaker i carry one of these superthin jackets. Since they are sort of consumables anyway given the superthin material and the fact they spend most of their life crumpled in my jersey pocket, i go for the cheapest option, currently using one by sports discouter Decathlon/BT Win which cost less than 40€ and does the job.

Had one of those rubbery-coated gray-whitish Assos jackets, was hugely expensive and the coating came off in no time, not worth the premium.

jpw
08-27-2020, 08:37 AM
I just came home in the rain and my Houdini was helpful. However, it's not a cycling cut, and it hangs down from my abdomen too much, the sleeves are too wide, but the hood is quite nice under my helmet. I'm slightly surprised that there aren't more cycling rain jackets with a fitted hood. Assos has the Steinbeisser. It's too loose fitting for me, and it's a whopping price, but it's going in the right design direction. I await V2.

Toddykins
08-27-2020, 11:04 AM
I continue to not understand why the ‘windjacket’ product category still exists now that shakedry is a thing.

What is the argument for a windjacket over a shakedry jacket, price aside?

Fwiw, i have had assos and rapha windjackets in the past. They were heavier, less packable and even with venting (in the assos) they didnt breathe anywhere near as well as a shakedry jacket, which has the added benefit of being waterproof.

jpw
08-27-2020, 11:54 AM
I continue to not understand why the ‘windjacket’ product category still exists now that shakedry is a thing.

What is the argument for a windjacket over a shakedry jacket, price aside?

Fwiw, i have had assos and rapha windjackets in the past. They were heavier, less packable and even with venting (in the assos) they didnt breathe anywhere near as well as a shakedry jacket, which has the added benefit of being waterproof.

Colour? Shakedry is still too dark. I read of a new printing technique to make Shakedry colourful, and I'm hoping to see some of this soon in new winter collections.

I had an Assos SturmPrinz. Not at all breathable. Sold it. Not buying any more Assos rain jackets unless made with Shakedry. Fat chance of that ever happening.

Toddykins
08-27-2020, 12:23 PM
I wish it was brighter too - But I remain of the view that blinky lights and reflective bits on moving surfaces are generally better for boosting visibility.

ltwtsculler91
08-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Colour? Shakedry is still too dark. I read of a new printing technique to make Shakedry colourful, and I'm hoping to see some of this soon in new winter collections.

I had an Assos SturmPrinz. Not at all breathable. Sold it. Not buying any more Assos rain jackets unless made with Shakedry. Fat chance of that ever happening.

I have both Shakedry C7 and a SturmPrinz, went with the shake dry for warmer days or long days where I'm taking the jacket on and off after all my teammates raved about it.

For breathability I'd rate them as equals when the temp is below 55 for the whole ride, and decide which to wear based on the conditions. Below 60 and keeping the jacket on the whole ride - Assos (aka Winter/early spring/late fall); if it's going up in temp or starts 55+ and I know I'll be climbing I bring the shake dry knowing it's easier to pack.

Above 60 degrees no question the shake dry breathes better, but I do appreciate the reflective stripe on the Assos big time on those darker mornings.

That said, I think bike lights (always run a Bontrager or Garmin light) and accessories (White/bright helmet, white/hivis gloves/shoes) make a bigger difference than if my jacket is bright or red since it's dynamic color versus a big blob. Black also comes in handy when you actually get wet, as other brighter rain/outerwear I've had, has always held dirt or stained when exposed to a longer real wet ride

happycampyer
08-27-2020, 10:05 PM
A fairly versatile and reasonably priced option is the Rapha lightweight commuter jacket. Lightweight, packable and has a hood. Right now it’s on sale for $71, about the price of a pair of Assos arm warmers. ;-)

coreyaugustus
08-28-2020, 10:27 AM
+1 for the Sportful Hot Pack. Just enough to block wind chill.

A1A
08-28-2020, 11:34 AM
7Mesh makes an awesome version of the shakedry jacket. Managed to pick one up slightly used on Ebay for a just over a third of list.

The 7Mesh founders are ex Arc'teryx which speaks volumes.

https://7mesh.com/mens-oro-jacket#product-reviews

marciero
08-29-2020, 05:05 AM
7Mesh makes an awesome version of the shakedry jacket. Managed to pick one up slightly used on Ebay for a just over a third of list.

The 7Mesh founders are ex Arc'teryx which speaks volumes.

https://7mesh.com/mens-oro-jacket#product-reviews

Not as packable, but I would have gotten their Rebellion jacket if I didnt already have Shakedry, Rapha, and Showers Pass jackets.

srode1
08-30-2020, 03:26 AM
Yeah, the Shakedry is amazing - would be nice to be able to get more colors but it's still my go to jacket for any time I want something for rain or a windbreaker like a mountain descent. Used it in the French Alps and coming down from Col Du Galibier in a mist and it absolutely made for a perfect solution.