PDA

View Full Version : CA fires - here we go again

smead
08-19-2020, 03:39 PM
Starting about 10 years ago, this has become a ritual whereby you can expect a 2-8 week hiatus from riding sometime during July-Sept. Lived here all my life and it was never like this before, so consistent, so chokingly bad.

donevwil
08-19-2020, 03:44 PM
Yep, after yesterday's 100° we went to sleep with every window open only to wake up this morning to a lot of ash inside the house, ugh.

Hindmost
08-19-2020, 03:51 PM
They have been evacuating Big Basin State Park and nearby areas. $#@& just got real.

Wattvagen
08-19-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear our west coast friends have to go through this with another round.

I'm sure it's complicated, but putting aside climate change and rising average temperatures - are the "lessons learned" from past years just going unanswered?

are the vegetation management plans not sufficient, or sufficiently funded?

between the loss of life, property, health and the environmental impact - that has to be sufficient to cut some of the california red tape to aggressively manage the risk in a very proactive form no?

i dont know enough about wild fire management to speak with authority here, but if this goes on season after season, surely there must be a way to mitigate the risk?

anyway, stay safe and be careful out there guys!

phoenix
08-19-2020, 03:59 PM
We didn’t rake our forests enough in the off season.

GOTHBROOKS
08-19-2020, 04:00 PM
pg&e is a joke

prototoast
08-19-2020, 04:07 PM
I'm sure it's complicated, but putting aside climate change and rising average temperatures - are the "lessons learned" from past years just going unanswered?

between the loss of life, property, health and the environmental impact - that has to be sufficient to cut some of the california red tape to aggressively manage the risk in a very proactive form no?

i dont know enough about wild fire management to speak with authority here, but if this goes on season after season, surely there must be a way to mitigate the risk?

In years past, a lot of fires have started from high winds and downed power lines, but right now, these fires were started from an intense lightning storm, which is not common around here. Because of the storms, a lot of fires started simultaneously, many in extremely remote places with minimal access, making containment hard.

While Napa seems to be a tinderbox that goes up almost every year, but right now we've got fires among the redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains, and those rarely burn because that area tends to stay moist, even in the summer. I'm not sure much could have been done different to prevent what we're dealing with right now. The biggest issue is we just don't get enough rain here.

Louis
08-19-2020, 04:13 PM
The biggest issue is we just don't get enough rain here.

Midwestern summers are terrible, primarily due to the humidity, but one benefit of 70-75 *F dew points is that it keeps the wildfire threat down.

smead
08-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Decades ago our fire season in CA was 6 months out of the year. On average it is now 10. It is hotter, it is drier. Amazing to see that change in one's short lifetime.

mtechnica
08-19-2020, 04:46 PM
It’s gross. If rolling blackouts start I’m packing up and moving back to WA.

pinoymamba
08-19-2020, 04:51 PM
Were the fires because of the lightening storm that rolled through a couple days ago?

prototoast
08-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Were the fires because of the lightening storm that rolled through a couple days ago?

Yes.

azrider
08-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Ugh.....been watching this intently the past couple weeks. A trip to the Rubicon Trail that has been 2 years in the making is in serious jeopardy after this recent increase in fires.

Much, much respect for the firefighters that're out there battling, and hope everyone stays safe.

Llewellyn
08-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Our Black Summer is still a painful memory for many people. I watched something the other day that showed footage of some of the area that had been burnt out - there wasn't a blade of green vegetation anywhere. We're probably only a few weeks away from our next bushfire season starting....and we haven't even got to the end of winter yet.

cgolvin
08-19-2020, 05:00 PM
They have been evacuating Big Basin State Park and nearby areas. $#@& just got real.

^^^
This is one of the worst things I have ever read on Paceline. Big Basin is a treasure. All appendages crossed…

jkbrwn
08-19-2020, 05:04 PM
The fires down in SoCal were not a result of lightning. The Apple fire was caused by a diesel-burning vehicle that emitted burning carbon, the Ranch2 fire in Azusa was arson (the arsonist has now turned himself in) and the Lake fire's cause is yet to be determined.

dddd
08-19-2020, 05:12 PM
Just noticed, it's looking hazy and there's a bit of a smell in the air.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50245351258_0762a1e3e8_b.jpg

Cornfed
08-19-2020, 05:24 PM

;)

Cornfed
08-19-2020, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear our west coast friends have to go through this with another round.

Lessons learned and lessons addressed are two different things, unfortunately. In this case, though, you had a drought, a once-a-decade lightning storm, and a heat wave all in the same week. Not much could've prevented a wildfire or twelve (or 400, see below) under those circumstances.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-19/northern-california-lightning-fires-explode-size-vacaville

akelman
08-19-2020, 05:32 PM
It's raining ash here. My favorite colleague just had to evacuate. She can see flames from her back door, which is about 15 miles from here. I rode this morning, because the AQI was "only" 82 when I left. It was up to 198 when I got home. Probably the least healthy ride I've ever taken—except the time I got hit by a minivan. I would have been better off sitting in bed, watching Netflix, and washing down bacon and brie sandwiches with tumblers full of heavy cream.

Louis
08-19-2020, 05:34 PM
I would have been better off sitting in bed, watching Netflix, and washing down bacon and brie sandwiches with tumblers full of heavy cream.

Not too late to do that tonight, and again tomorrow.

smead
08-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Lessons learned and lessons addressed are two different things, unfortunately. In this case, though, you had a drought, a once-a-decade lightning storm, and a heat wave all in the same week. Not much could've prevented a wildfire or twelve (or 400, see below) under those circumstances.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-19/northern-california-lightning-fires-explode-size-vacaville

Many factors, but the primary two leading to more frequent, and more intense fires are an increase in temperatures / less rain, and a century long practice of suppressing forest fires to protect life and property. When you do the latter, the fire load in the forest increases decade by decade, so when it does burn, it is an apocalypse. I doubt we'll ever be able to just let the fires burn like our predecessors did. We now "manage" the forest as best we can, with ever increasing stress from over-population.

MikeD
08-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Monday morning, closest fire about 4-5 miles away.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200819/fe22909ef1b072a7e5f34ba7b062089f.jpg

Air quality two days later.:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200819/31666d6fcdafbc584f76272f69748f92.jpg

oaklandhillsca
08-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Oakland hills were ashy and air thick of smoke this morning. Buddy ride cancelled when I walked outside. Looks like it is clearing up a bit, but not sure tomorrow will be any better air wise. At least it is supposed to drop 15+ degrees.

pdmtong
08-19-2020, 06:54 PM
i like purpleair.com a lot ... it's kind of like the darksky for AQI in that both try to give address level information.

Yesterday mid-day was rideable like normal. By 10pm the AQI was mid-300s.

Stayed in the mid-100's all day today until just an hour ago wind shift and now. air is <100. Got all the windows open and fans runnign to exchange the air in case we need to close up again tonight.

between the once in multi-decade electrical activity Sunday am, the excessive heat wave, the resulting fires and of course Covid-19 it's been a miserable few days.

Good news: I did reduce the mileage estimate on our vehicles yet again resulting in a $400 annual premium drop

Surprise: we adopted a black Belgian tervuren and you could see the ash accumulating on her in the time it took her to eat.

Steve in SLO
08-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Really smoky and acrid here in SLO, 100 miles south of the cause: twin blazes near Salinas, which brings up another factor: gusty and high winds. Usual for us in the spring, but not so much in the summer. I think the tropical cyclone stirred that up a bit for us.
Last night, my daughter woke me up at midnight so we could close our windows because of the smoke. I noticed the temp had risen from 75deg at 10PM to 91deg at midnight. Not normal.

Kyle h
08-19-2020, 07:09 PM
^^^
This is one of the worst things I have ever read on Paceline. Big Basin is a treasure. All appendages crossed…

A good friend lives in Santa Cruz and I went out there for the first time last year to hang out and race Old Growth Classic. Incredible park system and would be a major loss for that area.

joosttx
08-19-2020, 07:45 PM
We drove down to Big Sur this morning. The visibility was very very very bad. And if was raining ashes. I kept thinking the ashes were snow.

mtechnica
08-19-2020, 08:02 PM
I just rode bikes on the internet. During the summer. It’s bad, folks.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2020, 06:58 AM

Pretty sure that 'most' of CA fires are on Federal land...
California Gov. ... The state controls just 3% of forest land in California, while the federal government owns 57%,

BUT CA, with it's 'politics', isn't on the right list for the guy in the big chair nor his SecInterior.

Lovetoclimb
08-20-2020, 07:01 AM

Roaring applause

oldpotatoe
08-20-2020, 07:02 AM

Like Finland does....:)

Roaring applause

nighthawk
08-20-2020, 07:09 AM

BUT CA, with it's 'politics', isn't on the right list for the guy in the big chair nor his SecInterior.

National Forest is USDA, so Sec of Ag not DOI jurisdiction. Not that it matters. Most of the “acting” heads of agencies under the current administration are appointed based on family/financial ties and not aptitude for the position. The most disgusting corruption I have seen since working in federal service (DOI and DOD).

oldpotatoe
08-20-2020, 07:11 AM
National Forest is USDA, so Sec of Ag not DOI jurisdiction. Not that it matters. Most of the “acting” heads of agencies under the current administration are appointed based on family/financial ties and not aptitude for the position. The most disgusting corruption I have seen since working in federal service (DOI and DOD).

10-4..samo for SecAg...and well said...153 days....

nighthawk
08-20-2020, 07:22 AM
10-4..samo for SecAg...and well said...153 days....

Counting with you, my friend.

For what it’s worth, CalFire and the wildland firefighters of USFS, NPS, and USFWS are underfunded, but not undereducated. There are known forest management practices that balance forest health and mitigation of fire risk, but that runs counter to efforts to maximize profits from timber leases for private corporations. It’s a failure of federal leadership, plain and simple. Prioritizing profits for the few at the expense of greater public health and safety. And a childish executive branch that can’t muster the courage to work with states that aren’t in line with the fed admin’s agenda.

scoobydrew
08-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Flames were getting incredibly close to Lick Observatory (atop Mt. Hamilton) last night. Thankfully, fire crew from San Luis Obispo were called in to help out.

Here's a live stream/capture
http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/hamcam2.html

MikeD
08-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Do these surgical or cloth masks that one wears for covid provide enough protection from smoke? I have some N95 masks with the valve in them, but find them too uncomfortable to ride in, although I don't ride with the other masks either so they might be too uncomfortable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jaybee
08-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Do these surgical or cloth masks that one wears for covid provide enough protection from smoke? I have some N95 masks with the valve in them, but find them too uncomfortable to ride in, although I don't ride with the other masks either so they might be too uncomfortable as well.

It's smoky here in colorado too, so I tried pulling my mask (2 ply cloth with paper filter) up the other day and it still smelled like smoke. Not sure if the reduction was meaningful for smoke, but it may keep you from getting ash particles in your airway.

smead
08-20-2020, 12:42 PM

No they do not. If you are outside, wear an N95. Don't ride in this s**t either way, it is not good for you.

prototoast
08-20-2020, 12:45 PM

In this case, the fires in the bay area are not federal land. The fires near Santa Cruz are in a variety of state and county parks (most notably, Big Basin State Park). The Santa Clara Unit fire complex is a mix of regional parks, open space preserves, and private ranch land. The Napa fires are also a mix of state, regional, and private land.

The federal forests are mostly in the northern part of the state and along the Sierra Nevada range. Because these fires were triggered by a lightning storm coming in off the coast, the federal land has largely been spared (for now).

akelman
08-20-2020, 02:29 PM
AQI is over 200 here right now. At least six people that I know of at work have lost their houses. Many, many more have been evacuated and have no idea if their homes are still standing. And as of now, there's no end in sight. 2020 is a total jerk.

Clean39T
08-20-2020, 02:53 PM
2020 is a total jerk.

https://media.tenor.com/images/55b43f2161cbbc0930f19cd12324ff47/tenor.gif

Heart goes out to your co-workers and friends, and anyone down there dealing with this mess.

pdmtong
08-20-2020, 04:32 PM
The lightening storm produced almost 11,000 strikes, and from that we have almost 400 fire burning in NorCal.

What's different from the disasters of precious years is so many simultaneous and geographically dispersed. Evacuations are now on top of COVID-19.

I saw a 747 aerial tanker fly over my house this morning. I cannot imagine becoming homeless during a pandemic. Heartbreaking tragedy.

gasman
08-20-2020, 05:00 PM
I have numerous friends and relatives down there. I've been in contact with several and haven't been able to reach a couple. Most of them are okay but I worry about the ones I haven't reached yet and my heart goes out to everyone affected by the fires. It's terrible.

joosttx
08-20-2020, 05:25 PM
We were staying in between Santa Cruz and Monterey. We came back today due to smoke. This was the sunset yesterday (no filters)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50249717857_1ec769ea7f_b.jpg

and this was ashes on my truck yesterday morning. It was worse today

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50248880218_a41eee46a6_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50248880373_67f7cc999e_b.jpg

Llewellyn
08-20-2020, 05:35 PM
I don't think Australia could take another summer like the last one :mad:

cludowici
08-20-2020, 07:30 PM
I don't think Australia could take another summer like the last one :mad:

It'll have to. Climate change isn't going away.

joosttx
08-20-2020, 07:32 PM
Leading the way in particulate matter in the air.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50249798391_ab17281287_b.jpg

54ny77
08-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Be safe up there in Bay Area. Got some friends in Santa Cruz and they're about to evacuate. The hills are cooked. Some of best riding in the state up there.

joosttx
08-20-2020, 08:15 PM
Here are a couple photos from passing through Santa Cruz this morning.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50250086717_4af4dbafd5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50250081732_8a5d1ac67a_b.jpg

this one is showing the smoking heading into our neighborhood.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50249880106_cb4ecbcf44_b.jpg

fkslksj
08-21-2020, 02:03 AM
Wife mentioned yesterday's sunset had the setting sun looking all red as if we have a fire close by. I'm in Santa Barbara and was surprised smoke was being blown in from fires so far away. Hoping everyone up the coast is doing alright.

rustychisel
08-21-2020, 02:51 AM
Wife mentioned yesterday's sunset had the setting sun looking all red as if we have a fire close by. I'm in Santa Barbara and was surprised smoke was being blown in from fires so far away. Hoping everyone up the coast is doing alright.

Prevailing winds/weather patterns.
Earlier this year Sydney was shrouded for a couple of months in smoke from fires 200~250 miles away. Here we had fires on Yorke and Eyre Peninsulas and smoke in Adelaide - Port Lincoln fire was nearly 300km due west of us and there are two gulfs in between.

Thoughts to everyone suffering in Ca at the moment.

EB
08-21-2020, 01:52 PM
A relatively minor consideration with peoples homes and lives at stake, but California's already fragile trail systems are going to be huge victims of these fires. Wilder Ranch and UCSC are currently under major threat, Empire Grade trails in SC are already gone. Butano is gone... Moore Creek Park in Napa is likely gone, and probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

And I just got a text message alert that all of Bolinas Ridge in Western Marin is now under evacuation warning. Bo Ridge is iconic amongst Marin riders and features in a lot of Houston's photos. Some of my best Marin riding memories involve that trail. If the Woodward Fire reaches Bo Ridge, the fire could spread across to the West Peak of Mt Tam and down the north slope.

I can't imagine how hard it is going to be to rebuild these systems, given limited resources and organized opposition groups. Boggs Forest still has not recovered from fires years ago, even with continued volunteer efforts.

joosttx
08-21-2020, 10:27 PM
Another lighting storm is predicted Sunday thru Tuesday.

XXtwindad
08-21-2020, 11:03 PM
A relatively minor consideration with peoples homes and lives at stake, but California's already fragile trail systems are going to be huge victims of these fires. Wilder Ranch and UCSC are currently under major threat, Empire Grade trails in SC are already gone. Butano is gone... Moore Creek Park in Napa is likely gone, and probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

And I just got a text message alert that all of Bolinas Ridge in Western Marin is now under evacuation warning. Bo Ridge is iconic amongst Marin riders and features in a lot of Houston's photos. Some of my best Marin riding memories involve that trail. If the Woodward Fire reaches Bo Ridge, the fire could spread across to the West Peak of Mt Tam and down the north slope.

I can't imagine how hard it is going to be to rebuild these systems, given limited resources and organized opposition groups. Boggs Forest still has not recovered from fires years ago, even with continued volunteer efforts.

That whole area is a treasure. I hope to see many more photos from Houston.

smead
08-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Don't know what the heck some (mostly youngster) riders are thinking.., drove to the store today in the smoke, area is in the red/purple unhealthy range for PM 2.5. I see riders out. One group of 20 or so mostly young riders hammering along in a paceline. Don't be stupid folks, don't go out and exercise in this stuff, it'll catch up to ya later.

verticaldoug
08-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Don't know what the heck some (mostly youngster) riders are thinking.., drove to the store today in the smoke, area is in the red/purple unhealthy range for PM 2.5. I see riders out. One group of 20 or so mostly young riders hammering along in a paceline. Don't be stupid folks, don't go out and exercise in this stuff, it'll catch up to ya later.

Maybe at the current rate of climate change, they figure there is no later. Therefore, a rational decision.

XXtwindad
08-22-2020, 02:00 PM

I rode today. The smoke was a little better than the past few days. People ride for different reasons. I ride because it fills me up with an ineffable joy and sense of wonder. Cycling is a like a big whopping anti-depressant pill for me. I'm a much better person when I ride.

When the locusts start raining down, I'll stop.

mtechnica
08-22-2020, 02:26 PM
I rode today too but the air was ok-ish.

fkslksj
08-22-2020, 02:50 PM
Air quality is "moderate" today, up from unhealthy, so playing tennis instead of cycling. I can stop at any point if it gets worse, and don't have to worry about getting back home.

slowpoke
08-22-2020, 08:05 PM
Two Marin firefighters were trapped by flames, but were fortunate to be rescued by a helicopter:

https://youtu.be/dckKcpqSgDs?t=150

brook_63
08-22-2020, 08:39 PM

joosttx
08-22-2020, 08:45 PM
What phoenix said X1000
Totally inept leadership for decades.
Surfed today in SC, it was bad, very bad air quality.
Best friend had to evacuate his home in Bonny Doon with his son.
North of Davenport closed to everyone.

I have ridden and hiked most of the trails mentioned here in the bay area, on both sides of the peninsula and along both sides of Skyline blvd. It is a total mess. Our fearless leader here in CA should have activated the National Guard 2 days ago. Saw military choppers making recon runs, blackhawks, hueys, you name it trying to help figure this out.

Pisses me off to no end.

The prevailing thought to forest management or ecological management when I was in graduate school can be summed up to "let things be as much as possible." This was a great policy for large land owners like PG&E, State and Federal governments because it allow them to say "hey we are being ecologically mindful and cutting edge" while not spending money on it. Thats the best solution right, looking good while being cheap. There is much more to this but I am not writing a book or even an essay.

brook_63
08-22-2020, 08:56 PM

54ny77
08-22-2020, 09:11 PM
depending on the terrain (more scrub/brush) let the goats go to town! seriously. better than controlled burns.

gasman
08-22-2020, 09:16 PM
Let’s leave politics out of it. California hasn’t been in a good financial position in forever. This complex of fires has affected numerous friends and family members I’ve known for 55 years and it totally sucks.

Phoenix was tongue in cheek about raking forests.

joosttx
08-22-2020, 09:22 PM
a couple of good websites.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/science-technology/fire/information?fbclid=IwAR32-sBlUnVSUsi_bX9SsLg73iDNQgRE8VuLfv5aT048e5Y6RVUTN4Q dx_U

this one actually shows the planes and helicopters dumping retardant and water on the fires.

https://www.flightradar24.com/37.23,-122.16/11

54ny77
08-22-2020, 09:47 PM
this is an amazing site. thx. for the link.

this one actually shows the planes and helicopters dumping retardant and water on the fires.

brook_63
08-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Steve in SLO
08-22-2020, 10:08 PM
Why is that gasman? Waiting.......

@brook_63: Not to interfere, but I believe Gasman may have been alluding to the following pulled from the Paceline User Agreement. We usually leave politics out of it on this forum:

For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted and/or suspensions handed out. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.

Ken Robb
08-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Have been around a while, a long while, have family and friends around the bay area and Sonoma county that have been affected too.

phoenix might have been, I was not.

Will just leave it at that.
One more retort and I will just delete my comment.

You're new here so let me suggest that we don't get so confrontational with each other.

gasman
08-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Have been around a while, a long while, have family and friends around the bay area and Sonoma county that have been affected too.

phoenix might have been, I was not.

Will just leave it at that.
One more retort and I will just delete my comment.

As Steve and Ken commented we only have a few hard rules and leaving politics out is one of them.

There is a red banner on the top of the page that is called Know the Rules just so you know.

gasman
08-22-2020, 10:23 PM
a couple of good websites.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/science-technology/fire/information?fbclid=IwAR32-sBlUnVSUsi_bX9SsLg73iDNQgRE8VuLfv5aT048e5Y6RVUTN4Q dx_U

Good links thanks man.

brook_63
08-22-2020, 10:32 PM

barnabyjones
08-22-2020, 10:44 PM
The prevailing thought to forest management or ecological management when I was in graduate school can be summed up to "let things be as much as possible." This was a great policy for large land owners like PG&E, State and Federal governments because it allow them to say "hey we are being ecologically mindful and cutting edge" while not spending money on it. Thats the best solution right, looking good while being cheap. There is much more to this but I am not writing a book or even an essay.

Isn't the best policy don't build homes in a fire zone? The Tejon Pass could burn for weeks and it wouldn't endanger anyone.

Velocipede
08-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Only posting this given Chuck is a bike industry legend/veteran and has designed and made some of the things I would bet 90% of the people on here have used. And it sounds like he and his wife lost everything in the fires.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2020/08/21/industry-veteran-loses-home-many-possessions-california-fires?fbclid=IwAR3xtJ0VqOx4plBP92vxTml_XciOENVh3SN r5CKD6Q_CjosJ-hWvx1IXUHk#.X0Hliy2z3jC

gasman
08-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Only posting this given Chuck is a bike industry legend/veteran and has designed and made some of the things I would bet 90% of the people on here have used. And it sounds like he and his wife lost everything in the fires.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2020/08/21/industry-veteran-loses-home-many-possessions-california-fires?fbclid=IwAR3xtJ0VqOx4plBP92vxTml_XciOENVh3SN r5CKD6Q_CjosJ-hWvx1IXUHk#.X0Hliy2z3jC

Oh man that is sad. Lots of history lost.

many_styles
08-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Isn't the best policy don't build homes in a fire zone? The Tejon Pass could burn for weeks and it wouldn't endanger anyone.

That may have been the case with wild fires in the past. The fires in NorCal were started by hundreds of lightening strikes last weekend, much of them in areas difficult to get access to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony
08-23-2020, 12:01 PM
http://www.sparetheair.com/archive/2020/0823/1hr_pm25_SacramentoCa_latest.jpg

After several days of bad air a small patch of good air in my area. I'm going for a ride, staying in the green riding in circles!

joosttx
08-23-2020, 12:18 PM
This morning, the air around Mt Tam was in the green. Right now it’s so bad we can’t see Mt Tam much less the bottom of the street from our home. Our purple air meter is reading 305 and rising.

smead
08-23-2020, 12:26 PM
That may have been the case with wild fires in the past. The fires in NorCal were started by hundreds of lightening strikes last weekend, much of them in areas difficult to get access to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The discussion about loss of life/homes is somewhat orthogonal to fire frequency and intensity. It is true that as population and sprawl has increased, Californian's have developed housing where it shouldn't be. We've seen the catastrophic results in resent years.

Aside from that, there is the issue of how often this area is burning, and when it does, how intense. We have far more fires now than decades ago, the dry season in this Mediterranean climate is simply longer than it used to be. Then we have a century old practice of using our modern mechanical might to suppress fires when they start and the result is areas that have not burned in a long long time when in the past, they burned naturally every decade or so. When those areas burn now, there is so much brush and fuel, they burn at an intensity and size that is massive, kills even the oldest trees that in the past would have survived normal burns. The stewards of this land who lived here before us knew what we have yet to learn about fire.

XXtwindad
08-23-2020, 01:01 PM
I rode today. The smoke was a little better than the past few days. People ride for different reasons. I ride because it fills me up with an ineffable joy and sense of wonder. Cycling is a like a big whopping anti-depressant pill for me. I'm a much better person when I ride.

When the locusts start raining down, I'll stop.

Edit: The smoke is terrible today. I was wrong.

joosttx
08-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Edit: The smoke is terrible today. I was wrong.

Beautiful this morning.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50259092788_b7ac794353_b.jpg

not so now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50259106938_d2d8354b6e_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50259086018_951ce3c660_b.jpg

weisan
08-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Every year during this time, almost all of SE Asia is enshrouded in smoke and haze because of the deforestation fire set off in Indonesia.

https://scx1.b-cdn.net/csz/news/800/2019/mapshowingin.jpg

Global Hotspots
https://eia-international.org/wp-content/uploads/globalforestwatch-fires-map-16-17-Sept-2019.jpg

Peter B
08-23-2020, 01:58 PM
Buckle up folks--thunderstorms with dry lightning and wind are predicted to return this evening into Tuesday morning. Red Flag warning is in effect. Firefighting resources are run ragged and spread incredibly thin.

Be careful out there!

MikeD
08-23-2020, 01:59 PM
I got out for a short ride this morning. The air quality was acceptable. I say, if the air monitors are clear and you don't smell smoke and see some blue sky, go from home and get out for a short ride while you can.

https://fire.airnow.gov/?lat=37.98643749042729&lng=-121.79647170803145&zoom=10

William
08-23-2020, 02:35 PM
The discussion about loss of life/homes is somewhat orthogonal to fire frequency and intensity. It is true that as population and sprawl has increased, Californian's have developed housing where it shouldn't be.

A question that can also be applied to most of Florida and many places along the Gulf coast. How many times can places be flooded or wiped out before people build somewhere else? People live where they choose to live...right or wrong.

Aside from that, there is the issue of how often this area is burning, and when it does, how intense. We have far more fires now than decades ago, the dry season in this Mediterranean climate is simply longer than it used to be. Then we have a century old practice of using our modern mechanical might to suppress fires when they start and the result is areas that have not burned in a long long time when in the past, they burned naturally every decade or so. When those areas burn now, there is so much brush and fuel, they burn at an intensity and size that is massive, kills even the oldest trees that in the past would have survived normal burns. The stewards of this land who lived here before us knew what we have yet to learn about fire.

I think prescribed burns can be utilized to burn off brush and debris before too much accumulates. I think it would most certainly minimize these hugh burns. The problem would likely be what state or federal agency wants to shoulder the risk should a prescribed burn get out of control? Are people going to be okay with the smoke from regular burns every season?

Hard questions and hard answers.

W.

Fixed
08-23-2020, 03:06 PM
I rode the last few days if my weather app says good air which it did the last 3 morning it seems the best air of the day is early in the morning I did not ride over the bridge Friday or Saturday but today I did ,the air smelled good until I got over the the bridge
I could smell smoke all the way around Conzelman I did not notice it on bunker rd. When I climbed Conzelman the second time I could smell smoke again on the bridge I did not smell but it was extremely foggy and wet also On the bridge as normal ,There seemed To be about the usual number of riders when I was coming home .

Cheers to All

smead
08-23-2020, 03:08 PM
A question that can also be applied to most of Florida and many places along the Gulf coast. How many times can places be flooded or wiped out before people build somewhere else? People live where they choose to live...right or wrong.

I think prescribed burns can be utilized to burn off brush and debris before too much accumulates. I think it would most certainly minimize these hugh burns. The problem would likely be what state or federal agency wants to shoulder the risk should a prescribed burn get out of control? Are people going to be okay with the smoke from regular burns every season?

Hard questions and hard answers.

W.

Yes indeed. Too many people, too many conflicting objectives and priorities (most of which involve maximizing profits), too many lawyers.

I always longed to see what northern CA looked like 150 years ago. I cringe to think what it'll look like 150 years from now.

scoobydrew
08-23-2020, 03:11 PM
I'm by the coast so the smoke and air quality isn't terrible (see joost's picture), but I elected to stick to the trainer today.

Fixed
08-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Yes indeed. Too many people, too many conflicting objectives and priorities (most of which involve maximizing profits), too many lawyers.

I always longed to see what northern CA looked like 150 years ago. I cringe to think what it'll look like 150 years from now.
Yes me too
Native Americans 1000years ago lived in a virgin wonderland in NorCal
Imho
Cheers

Ddub66
08-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Went out early this AM on my hardtail to try to beat the bad air. Air quality was ok but after riding up to the trailhead, I found it closed and it turns out that all of the East Bay regional parks are closed for next 3 days due to threat of more lightning and fires. Guess i need to switch to my road bike for a while. But these are such 1% problems...i feel fortunate that i'm healthy and have bikes to ride.

Between Covid and fires, the Bay Area is having a tough run of it lately. Stay safe everyone and support local businesses!

Spdntrxi
08-23-2020, 05:30 PM
got in a quick uneventful ride in this morning.. AQI start was 30 ending with 70. Now at 3:30pm close to 200 and 250 is some parts where I rode. Might as well smoke a cigar and ride. Damn.

cnighbor1
08-23-2020, 05:46 PM
For Walnut creek, CA
Sunday 3:43pm 08/23/2020 air is listed at Very Unhealthy Quality
When I got up it was listed smoky and has gotten worst every hour
At 85 not great

verticaldoug
08-23-2020, 05:55 PM

You should go to Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It has the largest contiguous Redwood forest left at 10,000 acres. It is as close as you will get.

https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/ca-rockefeller-forest-humboldt-redwoods-state-park

jtakeda
08-23-2020, 06:53 PM
You should go to Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It has the largest contiguous Redwood forest left at 10,000 acres. It is as close as you will get.

https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/ca-rockefeller-forest-humboldt-redwoods-state-park

Please do not travel from out of the county up north for pleasure. We are literally under evacuation warning and we don’t need tourists clogging up the roads

prototoast
08-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Please do not travel from out of the county up north for pleasure. We are literally under evacuation warning and we don’t need tourists clogging up the roads

I don't think he meant right now. I interpreted it as a more general statement about a place to see in California when the time is right.

doomridesout
08-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Lightning storm forecast is shifting north. Fellow North Coast people, be safe.

jtakeda
08-23-2020, 07:26 PM
I don't think he meant right now. I interpreted it as a more general statement about a place to see in California when the time is right.

I hope so. Some people don’t think about. I’m seeing a ton of RVs and campers.

Spdntrxi
08-23-2020, 07:41 PM
I hope so. Some people don’t think about. I’m seeing a ton of RVs and campers.

they could be instate ppl... lots of people trying to squeeze in one vaca since some schools have not started yet in Cali.

Fixed
08-23-2020, 07:48 PM
I hope all are safe people and wildlife
Tuesday I saw two coyote one on Conzelman and one on bunker
I think they were looking for safety
on Friday the news showed a coyote on the Golden Gate Bridge trying to get fresh air .
Cheers to All

weaponsgrade
08-23-2020, 09:28 PM
I took a fall in June and broke my hand. I just got the ok to ride. I could smell smoke in the morning but it seemed to clear up a little by early afternoon so I went. Felt awesome to be able to ride again.

verticaldoug
08-24-2020, 03:31 AM

It was a general statement for where you can see old growth forest like California was. Why you draw the conclusion if implies to go now is beyond me. I will chalk it up to you are stressed. This is paceline not reddit

jtakeda
08-24-2020, 10:33 AM
It was a general statement for where you can see old growth forest like California was. Why you draw the conclusion if implies to go now is beyond me. I will chalk it up to you are stressed. This is paceline not reddit

I think it’s frustration more than anything. But you’re right, I should have more faith in paceline—it’s not your typical subset of “Instagram picture chasing” internet types.

It was meant to be more of a reminder not to travel during fire season but it was a little harshly worded.

Tony
08-24-2020, 10:54 AM
I think it’s frustration more than anything. But you’re right, I should have more faith in paceline—it’s not your typical subset of “Instagram picture chasing” internet types.

It was meant to be more of a reminder not to travel during fire season but it was a little harshly worded.

That's the way i read it.
Not long after your post I got this in my email from Sam's Chowder house to pass along to my coastal kayaking groups.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
We love you, we truly do! But we need your help. If you are not a
resident of the coast, please do not come to the coast this weekend.
Highway 1 at Pigeon Point is closed due to the fire, and we have
limited evacuation points out of the coast if needed.

The CZU lightning complex fire has caused 50,000 acres of the south
coast to be on fire, and growing at 1,000 acres an hour. The fire is
0% contained. Although Sam's is currently not in the path of the fire,
it is less than 20 miles away. Half Moon Bay is now an evacuation
center for many of the displaced residents of Loma Mar, Pescadero, La
Honda, San Gregorio, and other southern towns.

It's difficult to discourage weekend guests when our small businesses
are suffering, but we have limited access points in and out, and it's
essential that our roadways be clear. Please support your favorite
small business by purchasing gift cards and shopping online if
possible.

Fixed
08-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Ride early
Cheers

zennmotion
08-24-2020, 11:19 AM
I think we all need to practice a little more empathy and compassion these days, online and offline. This little lesson might seem a little woo-woo for some, but maybe imagine it coming from your Mom and it could be a useful thing to keep in your head with tensions at home, frustration standing in line, or getting soaked in outrage with the latest news, or just getting irritated by online comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***9xgqLIvI

I'm a relatively recent arrival to the Bay Area. Two weeks ago I went for a first outing outside my immediate East Bay neighborhood to hike through one of the major Redwood areas at Butano. It was my first time in redwoods, and now it's gone, I'm grateful that I was among the last to see it as it was. This morning I watched a woman with a couple of kids in her car driving up the street and pulling cans out of the recycling bins trying to keep ahead of the collection truck. Perspective.

phishrabbi
08-24-2020, 11:44 AM
don't build homes in a fire zone

this

MikeD
08-24-2020, 11:54 AM
The closest fire near me, the Deer Zone Fire, has been 100% contained, so that is some good news.

joosttx
08-24-2020, 12:00 PM
this

Are you suggesting to build homes underwater?

fkslksj
08-24-2020, 12:02 PM
I think we all need to practice a little more empathy and compassion these days, online and offline. This little lesson might seem a little woo-woo for some, but maybe imagine it coming from your Mom and it could be a useful thing to keep in your head with tensions at home, frustration standing in line, or getting soaked in outrage with the latest news, or just getting irritated by online comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***9xgqLIvI

I'm a relatively recent arrival to the Bay Area. Two weeks ago I went for a first outing outside my immediate East Bay neighborhood to hike through one of the major Redwood areas at Butano. It was my first time in redwoods, and now it's gone, I'm grateful that I was among the last to see it as it was. This morning I watched a woman with a couple of kids in her car driving up the street and pulling cans out of the recycling bins trying to keep ahead of the collection truck. Perspective.

I agree with you completely. I had a conversation with my wife yesterday where we were trying to figure out where we should go camping in September now that NorCal doesn't seem like an option. Both of us realized that if this is the biggest wrench in our plans right now, we really don't have anything to complain about. Hope everyone is staying safe.

edsteck
08-24-2020, 12:06 PM
I really feel for you guy out there. Scary for sure!!

Mike V
08-24-2020, 12:08 PM
this

https://youtu.be/ks072waMayk

mhespenheide
08-24-2020, 12:26 PM
this

Would you have said that Santa Rosa is in a fire zone?

MikeD
08-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Are you suggesting to build homes underwater?

https://www.kqed.org/news/11759209/map-do-you-live-in-a-high-risk-fire-zone

smead
08-24-2020, 12:48 PM
Would you have said that Santa Rosa is in a fire zone?

The area that had the massive destruction of homes in that fire was a development on the edge of town close to the edge of the low lying coast range mountains that are indeed a fire zone during nor cal summers. Denser development in urban core areas are not going to have these fire issues. Develop on the outskirts and yes you will be at risk. But the developers don't care, they cash in and more on. Urban sprawl is bad for a number of reasons, fire risk is one.

Ken Robb
08-24-2020, 01:09 PM
The area that had the massive destruction of homes in that fire was a development on the edge of town close to the edge of the low lying coast range mountains that are indeed a fire zone during nor cal summers. Denser development in urban core areas are not going to have these fire issues. Develop on the outskirts and yes you will be at risk. But the developers don't care, they cash in and more on. Urban sprawl is bad for a number of reasons, fire risk is one.

Where do you think developers should build?

prototoast
08-24-2020, 01:13 PM

Of note, the fires around Big Basin are not a high fire risk. Multiple lightning strikes in coastal redwood forest is not a typical thing to happen.

Also, the SCU Lightning Complex fire is high/very high risk, but almost no one lives out there--it's mostly ranch land or protected parks/open space.

barnabyjones
08-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Why is this even being debated? As smead mentioned earlier there are issues with land management/stewardship that go back generations. Some wildfires will be wilder. But anyone who's lived in CA for more than 20 years knows that almost all the the fires that threaten human lives and structures occur in what used to be known as the exurbs. Should we be building underwater? Haha, how facetious. Correct me if I'm wrong but the people who are claiming that all of California is threatened so there shouldn't be any limits to development are probably the same types who oppose pipelines and mountain biking in National Forests. Odd.

GregL
08-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Where do you think developers should build?This is a pervasive problem across the US, not just in relation to the current California fires. IMO, developers should be doing more re-developing and less new developing. Other countries are much more forward thinking in this regard. We take for granted that we have lots of "expansion room" available in the US, and often develop without regard for the environmental consequences.

Greg

smead
08-24-2020, 01:22 PM

Do some research about the overall environmental benefits of denser urban core development as opposed to mass urban sprawl into the woods, 10, 20, up to 50 miles away from cities where people work.

MikeD
08-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Probably not in/near high or very high fire zones https://forestwatch.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Styler/index.html?appid=5e96315793d445419b6c96f89ce5d153

Maybe not in moderate zones either? Are current building codes adequate?

joosttx
08-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Thank you. That’s good info. My rebuttal, not to you but the to original snip, with a million acres burned and 1000 structures lost (currently) I would say for the most part these fires are not burning in populated areas.

dddd
08-24-2020, 03:56 PM
Thank you. That’s good info. My rebuttal, not to you but the to original snip, with a million acres burned and 1000 structures lost (currently) I would say for the most part these fires are not burning in populated areas.

I was just noticing that while looking at the Santa Cruz area fire zone, it's a park. Looking at a topo map for most of the Vacaville area zone, again there's mountains and rolling hills with lots of dry fuel. Mostly wild areas and very inaccessible to fire fighters.
Some homes here and there though, ranches and deep-woods homes, even some near the edges getting burned several at a time.

There's enough fuel around here that I am considering taking out my oak trees that are nearest to my house, since those start drying out at this time of year. It'll seem expensive when I pay for it, but what can you do.

joosttx
08-24-2020, 04:13 PM
I was just noticing that while looking at the Santa Cruz area fire zone, it's a park. Looking at a topo map for most of the Vacaville area zone, again there's mountains and rolling hills with lots of dry fuel. Mostly wild areas and very inaccessible to fire fighters.
Some homes here and there though, ranches and deep-woods homes, even some near the edges getting burned several at a time.

There's enough fuel around here that I am considering taking out my oak trees that are nearest to my house, since those start drying out at this time of year. It'll seem expensive when I pay for it, but what can you do.

We as a community adhere to fire prevention standards (certain shrubs / trees are not allow, cannot have tree limbs near a house and we need to cut wild grasses) I was surprised to see we are not in a risk zone. However, we looked at a home this weekend to buy which was on the edge of a hill. The last house before a preserved area with a beautiful view. My wife and I agreed it would be the first house to go up in a fire and quickly passed on it.

prototoast
08-24-2020, 04:47 PM

Or conversely, if you look at that fire map, the places that aren't a risk are specifically the places that have been developed.

nighthawk
08-25-2020, 12:57 AM
A glimpse at one aspect of a solution.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/24/899422710/to-manage-wildfire-california-looks-to-what-tribes-have-known-all-along

merlinmurph
08-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Here's an article (https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/08/whats-in-wildfire-smoke-and-why-is-it-so-bad-for-your-lungs/)about getting wildfire smoke in your lungs.

Be careful out there.

smead
08-30-2020, 10:42 AM
Going on the 3rd week of unhealthy smoke in Nor Cal (Sac valley), airnow map looks like fruity pebbles day after day, no relief in sight. I have not ridden in as many weeks, already thin legs looking more like chicken legs. Of course that's drivel compared to folks that lose homes in these fires, but to the theme of the original post in this thread, having Nor Cal blanketed in smoke for 1-2 months every year is becoming normal. I think this year it'll be at least 5 weeks straight of foul air. If ya got good air, go enjoy it and take in a deep breath for me.

Spdntrxi
08-30-2020, 11:50 AM
yes bad fires every year and smokey days..

only good thing that came of it, is that I had purchased N95 masks for the fires and they came in handy for "the rona" ..

might not be a good thing :confused:

XXtwindad
08-30-2020, 01:42 PM
Going on the 3rd week of unhealthy smoke in Nor Cal (Sac valley), airnow map looks like fruity pebbles day after day, no relief in sight. I have not ridden in as many weeks, already thin legs looking more like chicken legs. Of course that's drivel compared to folks that lose homes in these fires, but to the theme of the original post in this thread, having Nor Cal blanketed in smoke for 1-2 months every year is becoming normal. I think this year it'll be at least 5 weeks straight of foul air. If ya got good air, go enjoy it and take in a deep breath for me.

I rode today. It was absolutely glorious. Plenty of the "Tribe" out today. Great to see. Very thankful I had the opportunity to ride.

P.S. May I suggest body weight squats for the chicken legs? :)

jtakeda
08-30-2020, 02:01 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50286590528_bb4f262ffc_z.jpg

Planning some indoor projects

Upcountry
08-31-2020, 09:12 AM
I just recently moved to the woods; Janesville, CA(Lassen County) and one of the most recent fires got to about 3 miles from my front door. We were on evacuation notice for several days, but they finally got a handle on it a couple days ago and we've breathed a sigh of relief for now. With that said, I took a few days off when the fire first started, but got to the point that others had mentioned, where any long term lung damage is less than the mental and emotional damage that occurs from not riding for days straight... With that, I wasn't out doing VO2 max efforts or anything.

A good friend of mine also just recently moved out into the boonies himself, and has had several wildfires burn up to 100 yards from his house, just this year alone.
We're really hoping this isn't the yearly routine, as I can't express how stressful and unsettling it is to feel so powerless!

bthornt
09-07-2020, 09:55 AM
One of the fires was apparently caused by a pyrotechnic device at a gender reveal party.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/07/california-fires-gender-reveal-party-el-dorado-creek-valley-fires/5737526002/

merlinmurph
09-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Good luck to anybody dealing with these fires, it seems like they are all over the place. Every time I read about one, I use google maps to see where that fire is. Just crazy.

akelman
09-07-2020, 11:02 AM
One of the fires was apparently caused by a pyrotechnic device at a gender reveal party.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/07/california-fires-gender-reveal-party-el-dorado-creek-valley-fires/5737526002/

I mean, who doesn't have a gender reveal party with pyrotechnics over a holiday weekend in the midst of a pandemic during a massive heat wave with wildfires burning all over the state and region? To skip such an event would represent a level of self-denial unheard of in the history of the world, not to mention an unconscionable affront to the unborn child.

peanutgallery
09-07-2020, 11:07 AM
It's just merely a sign of the apocalypse

I mean, who doesn't have a gender reveal party with pyrotechnics over a holiday weekend in the midst of a pandemic during a massive heat wave with wildfires burning all over the state and region? To skip such an event would represent a level of self-denial unheard of in the history of the world, not to mention an unconscionable affront to the unborn child.

akelman
09-07-2020, 11:12 AM
It's just merely a sign of the apocalypse

It's either that or we now live in a series of outtakes from Veep.

GregL
09-07-2020, 11:18 AM
I guess I’m just not in tune with current times. I always thought a gender reveal party was called “birth”.

Greg

akelman
09-07-2020, 11:25 AM
[redacted 22,000-word comment about the difference between physical "sex" and constructed "gender," the intersection of consumer culture and social anxiety, and the performance of masculinity and femininity among bourgeois parents in late capitalism]

FlashUNC
09-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Hell is other people. -- Sartre.

Clean39T
09-07-2020, 12:09 PM
[redacted 22,000-word comment about the difference between physical "sex" and constructed "gender," the intersection of consumer culture and social anxiety, and the performance of masculinity and femininity among bourgeois parents in late capitalism]

Well said :beer:

joosttx
09-07-2020, 12:17 PM
It's either that or we now live in a series of outtakes from Veep.

I drew a venn diagram to illustrate your point.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50316822962_2ca71d2476_n.jpg

mtechnica
09-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Much ado about genitals

joosttx
09-07-2020, 12:19 PM
I wonder if they are going to name the child:

Blaze or Ignatius?

Spdntrxi
09-07-2020, 12:54 PM
I wonder if they are going to name the child:

Blaze or Ignatius?

destitute ... as their parents should be after paying for the fire.

pdmtong
09-07-2020, 02:23 PM
Rationalizing the purpleair readings against the airnow/EPA readings
https://thebolditalic.com/understanding-purpleair-vs-airnow-gov-measurements-of-wood-smoke-pollution-562923a55226
Yesterday was miserable. 150s AQI and 106d peak
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200907/0a72c5c6661e20a22a0b85c8ac3b8c6d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200907/2b48e85b15726a1781d7ce526280a40e.jpg

smead
09-07-2020, 02:30 PM
I can take the heat, just not the smoke. PM 2.5 dropped below 100 here for the first time in almost a month. I took a short ride, felt like crap fitness wise, but it otherwise felt sublime. Outlook for the next 1-2 weeks is more unhealthy levels of smoke. And tomorrow we're expecting 30-50 MPH dry north winds following 110 highs today. I fully expect more fires to join what is already burning.

pdmtong
09-07-2020, 02:36 PM
I can take the heat, just not the smoke. PM 2.5 dropped below 100 here for the first time in almost a month. I took a short ride, felt like crap fitness wise, but it otherwise felt sublime. Outlook for the next 1-2 weeks is more unhealthy levels of smoke. And tomorrow we're expecting 30-50 MPH dry north winds following 110 highs today. I fully expect more fires to join what is already burning.
if its heat, I can just lay awake all night sweating off the pounds. but with the smoke, the windows are shut too.

My solution is beer. and watching TdF replays. Desperate times.

pasadena
09-07-2020, 03:24 PM
We got caught up in that smoke and had to book it out of there.
They need to be held to a severe penalty to send a message.

The ignorant behavior, not just by them, it could have started from many other people.

pdmtong
09-07-2020, 03:34 PM
We got caught up in that smoke and had to book it out of there.
They need to be held to a severe penalty to send a message.

The ignorant behavior, not just by them, it could have started from many other people.

recall the fireworks that started the fire in the Gorge (oregon/washington) years ago....idiots.

joosttx
09-07-2020, 03:38 PM
We are at 105 AQI and 101F. Yesterday The high was 108F. We saw it rise to 111F. This sucks.

Spdntrxi
09-07-2020, 03:44 PM
We are at 105 AQI and 101F. Yesterday The high was 108F. We saw it rise to 111F. This sucks.

110F. AQI 150+.. I just checked my mail from Sat.. very smokey

akelman
09-07-2020, 03:44 PM

105 here now with an AQI of 166. Before the fires, I was riding every day. I missed three days in four months. Since the fires, I'm lucky to get out half the time. Covid times with riding = mostly bearable. Covid times without riding = hard to say but not looking great.

mtechnica
09-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Today is day 2 of Innsbruck on zwift for me. It's literally orange outside right now. Straight up orange.

dddd
09-07-2020, 07:27 PM
I still need to get outside every other day. So I find it's not too bad in the morning up here in the sierra foothills. I probably rode too far today, just under 50 miles, out to Lincoln and back.
I take a 40-minute run on every other off-day, plus do pull-ups indoors.
My knees don't like the trainer with it's 175mm crankarms, plus the thing is way too heavy to bring inside from the covered back deck.

By 1pm here it was looking almost foggy if I looked out about a mile, and I could smell a smokey scent at the screen door (might have been clinging to the screen from yesterday?).

Better than last week, but even hotter. The air is so dry however that I hardly notice the heat while riding.

smead
09-07-2020, 08:39 PM
I still need to get outside every other day. So I find it's not too bad in the morning up here in the sierra foothills. I probably rode too far today, just under 50 miles, out to Lincoln and back.
I take a 40-minute run on every other off-day, plus do pull-ups indoors.
My knees don't like the trainer with it's 175mm crankarms, plus the thing is way too heavy to bring inside from the covered back deck.

By 1pm here it was looking almost foggy if I looked out about a mile, and I could smell a smokey scent at the screen door (might have been clinging to the screen from yesterday?).

Better than last week, but even hotter. The air is so dry however that I hardly notice the heat while riding.

Hey we may have passed each other today. I took my first ride this AM in a long time, a loop out of Lincoln - up to Auburn and back.

Clean39T
09-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Portland just got inundated with smoke this evening... and hit with power outages and extreme winds.

Going to be an interesting few days.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200908/7a516029d83ccc0fd24ef6e24b6fe368.jpg

gasman
09-07-2020, 11:45 PM
We just got hit in Eugene a couple of hours ago. Man this sucks for everyone.
As was said cycling is keeping my sanity during this pandemic.

54ny77
09-07-2020, 11:59 PM
My car had ash on it today.

(I'm in south Orange County.)

Yeah, it's a big deal.

When a wall of 2k degree flame is coming at you at 20+ mph, that can be a come to hayzeus moment.

Be safe out there everyone, esp. the hot shots and CDF fire crews.

barnabyjones
09-08-2020, 01:40 AM

I should have gone after that PhD.

I pepper half my monologues with the phrase "performance of masculinity."

shinomaster
09-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Portland just got inundated with smoke this evening... and hit with power outages and extreme winds.

Going to be an interesting few days.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200908/7a516029d83ccc0fd24ef6e24b6fe368.jpg

it's really dangerous out there. Stay inside!

FlashUNC
09-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Already set a state record for acreage burned in the state this year, and we're not even to October/November peak fire season yet. It's going to be a terrible year for this stuff.

Clean39T
09-08-2020, 12:38 PM
Already set a state record for acreage burned in the state this year, and we're not even to October/November peak fire season yet. It's going to be a terrible year for this stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/g0mPV3n.gif

GOTHBROOKS
09-08-2020, 01:08 PM
i can usually see mt wilson from my house in pasadena and the smoke is so bad you cant see anything at all. i can barely see the outline of the verdugos in burbank because of the smoke and im at work over by the ikea so its not like im far away from them or anything. theres no gross bbq smell just orange haze.

Spdntrxi
09-08-2020, 01:10 PM
it's been an orange day so far.... although the AQI is not terrible so far.

okayku
09-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Yeah I don't understand the air today. It looks as bad as its ever been in SF in the last couple months but the AQI is in the green and yellow and the bike ride this morning wasn't bad at all.

jtakeda
09-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Went to the coast yesterday for a breath of fresh air and came back to 101 closed due to a fire and an evac order over the hill.

Aqi says 193 right now but a few miles north it’s 465. I’m guessing the afternoon wind will blow that right towards me.

I’ve have the lights on in my house because it’s so dark

Jaybee
09-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Perfect.

FlashUNC
09-08-2020, 02:56 PM

Try to be Ned and not Maude. Man they did her dirty.

Spdntrxi
09-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Yeah I don't understand the air today. It looks as bad as its ever been in SF in the last couple months but the AQI is in the green and yellow and the bike ride this morning wasn't bad at all.

yeah AQI in my area is 160+ now.... but I dropped my car off for service in Livermore and rode back to Pleasanton and it looked grey, ugly as hell but no smokey smell AQI was sub 100 at the time.

jtakeda
09-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Just went outside to take a pic because it looks so crazy. No filter or manipulation

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50320496118_a3a99e77ea_z.jpg

Clean39T
09-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Just went outside to take a pic because it looks so crazy

Yikes. Looks like an album cover for some good indietronica..

Good luck down there. Hopefully the power stays on where it should be and we all get through this best we can.

FlashUNC
09-08-2020, 04:41 PM
Just went outside to take a pic because it looks so crazy. No filter or manipulation

And I thought the blood red sun rise this morning in the East Bay was jacked up.

smead
09-08-2020, 07:09 PM
It looked like nighttime today at 3pm. AQI map is a bowl of fruity pebbles, mostly filled with reds and purples. New fires today w/ the dry north winds. We'll probably see 3 million acres burned by Oct. I don't expect to see much blue sky until then. This is going to go down as a bad year, but the worst part is that we're now having seasons like this every 3-4 years.

mtechnica
09-08-2020, 08:27 PM
day 3 in a row of zwift because of bad air quality

joosttx
09-08-2020, 10:30 PM
We had a transformer explode about at 3am in the neighborhood Saturday night. It was sparking and flashing all over the place. We are so lucky that our neighborhood did not go up in flames.

Lionel
09-09-2020, 04:15 AM
We had a transformer explode about at 3am in the neighborhood Saturday night. It was sparking and flashing all over the place. We are so lucky that our neighborhood did not go up in flames.

Wow, damn.

XXtwindad
09-09-2020, 09:43 AM
I really want to see the sun. And some blue skies. It's hard to even tell what time it is outside. It's eerie. This is no good from a mental standpoint, let alone a respiratory standpoint.

MikeD
09-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Now there a bunch of new fires. It 8 am and it's still dark out, like twilight. Visible ash in the headlights. AQI says moderate though. Smoke layer above but air quality near the ground is moderate.

Clean39T
09-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Western Oregon is in a world of hurt. I hope Gasman, ORMojo, Mzilliox, and all our other friends and neighbors are faring okay.

mtechnica
09-09-2020, 10:52 AM
I really want to see the sun. And some blue skies. It's hard to even tell what time it is outside. It's eerie. This is no good from a mental standpoint, let alone a respiratory standpoint.

It’s time to get zwifty my dude

Clean39T
09-09-2020, 11:29 AM
It’s time to get zwifty my dude

Assuming your indoor air quality is safe.

scoobydrew
09-09-2020, 11:35 AM

SF (and I assume the rest of the Bay Area) looks like this right now. It's dark enough that I need to turn on the lights inside to be able to see.

okayku
09-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Though it’s been particularly bad this year, extreme wildfires and hazardous air quality in the late summer months will be the new norm in California. This is the first time I’ve seriously given thought to moving away, somewhere far away...

Cornfed
09-09-2020, 11:48 AM
SF (and I assume the rest of the Bay Area) looks like this right now. It's dark enough that I need to turn on the lights inside to be able to see.

Same here. Our neighbor has an automatic porch light that's still on ...

MikeD
09-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Though it’s been particularly bad this year, extreme wildfires and hazardous air quality in the late summer months will be the new norm in California. This is the first time I’ve seriously given thought to moving away, somewhere far away...

Go to a wetter climate. Adequate water supply and cost of water are issues here as well.

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 11:55 AM

oye, i bet with the temperatures you guys are seeing out there, the already heavily taxed grid, switchgear and T&D hardware are being pushed beyond their logical limit.

stay safe out there guys, this sucks for sure.

Clean39T
09-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Go to a wetter climate. Adequate water supply and cost of water are issues here as well.

See my note above - Oregon and Washington are on fire. And the parts that aren't are still inundated with smoke.

There is no escaping climate change and the flock of chickens that are coming home to roost.

Cornfed
09-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Harder and harder to find. When you have wildfires above the Arctic Circle, not sure anyplace is safe anymore. Antarctica maybe?

jtakeda
09-09-2020, 12:30 PM

That sucks. Although the bittersweet reality is all the smoke lowered day time temps 20 degrees and allowed fire fighters to get a better grasp on the fires. I believe the original forecast was 106

It’s less red/orange today up here but wayyy smokier. Word from the local radio station is cal trans is working on removing the felled trees on 101 and will try and reopen later today.

joosttx
09-09-2020, 12:47 PM
oye, i bet with the temperatures you guys are seeing out there, the already heavily taxed grid, switchgear and T&D hardware are being pushed beyond their logical limit.

stay safe out there guys, this sucks for sure.

It was nuts. It happened in front of one of our friends home. People woke from the explosion a mile away. I thought a bomb went off! The wires were sparking for about 45 minutes before PGE cut the power supply. Firemen were putting out the grass fire within minutes of the explosion.

joosttx
09-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Photographed at 11:00am.

Truly amazing. I feel so sad for those that are truly affected by these fires (we in are really not and it could be a lot worse). I was reminded how hard fire fighting wildfires are this week as we drove pass the ICP for the Woodward Fire and saw all the little tents the firefighters had been living in for the past several weeks. It was over a 100F.

Photo taken at 11:00am today

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50323478438_9f1088488b_c.jpg

A sign my daughter's Girl Scout troop made. These signs were all over the fire fighters route.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50323495123_eb1f9f4f61_n.jpg

gngroup
09-09-2020, 01:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200909/5aafcd1b28dc6d7318d2cf9bcfc9c0e1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200909/1fbec8f505f29b0a70a0aad774b9afa3.jpg

I’ve lived here my entire life and never witnessed anything like this. I agree with Houston in terms of many being truly impacted by the fires. Regardless, this is hard to fathom and incredibly eerie!

pdmtong
09-09-2020, 01:48 PM
It is so dark and eerily orange outside. It feel like 15 minutes from completely black nightfall.

The AQI is below 100 and the temperature is 46degrees LOWER than it was on Monday.

If I stand outside for five minutes I can see ash particles landing on my black dog.

Latestart
09-09-2020, 02:33 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/iphone-photos-orange-sky-California-washed-out-15554359.php

Even the newspaper is writing about it. Darkness level in downtown SF is about 9pm on the average night this time of year. All streetlights still on, cars with headlights and covered in ash...

sipmeister
09-09-2020, 02:51 PM
destitute ... as their parents should be after paying for the fire.

A kid who started a massive fire in the Columbia Gorge some years ago was found guilty of starting it, and the parents (since he was a minor) ordered to pay for the damages. As far as news goes, they haven't made a single payment towards the millions it cost to put that fire out.

So good point, but highly unlikely. Maybe a fine for playing with fire in a park?

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 03:10 PM
If I stand outside for five minutes I can see ash particles landing on my black dog.

that's really bad. man, people with respiratory issues have enough to worry about with covid, poor air quality is definitely not good now.

joosttx
09-09-2020, 03:27 PM
It’s just snow, right?

https://vimeo.com/456324913

Waldo
09-09-2020, 03:42 PM
This morning’s ride in ashy snowstorm

pdmtong
09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200909/ebe1c51fd50600654d76b4e19a47df11.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200909/22cd5e0375ad3e3dac38e745bab43cff.jpg

shinomaster
09-09-2020, 04:07 PM
This morning’s ride in ashy snowstorm

I think riding in that is extremely unhealthy.:confused:

MikeD
09-09-2020, 04:32 PM
I think riding in that is extremely unhealthy.:confused:

The air quality shows moderate. Maybe it's only the small particles that matter (e.g. PM2.5)?

zennmotion
09-09-2020, 04:38 PM
It's a weird combination of heavy particle accumulation at high altitudes, the wind speed is very low and the particles are not moving and settling slowly with gravity. The AQI at ground level started at moderate levels but is generally worsening. Ash is all over everything like snow here in the East Bay/Oakland area, just watering the garden got my feet all black in the grass.

pasadena
09-09-2020, 04:55 PM
don't ride in that ****
that stuff is toxic and you can get lifelong respiratory issues from it.

weaponsgrade
09-09-2020, 05:16 PM
It is eerie here in SF. It's been looking like Tatooine all day. All that's missing is a landspeeder. A friend emailed me this pic of downtown where some crazy set fire to a couch.

Louis
09-09-2020, 05:46 PM
downtown where some crazy set fire to a couch.

Unfortunately, there will be some of those deliberately set in places where the fire is much more difficult to contain. Simply because fire is in the news and some people (presumably pyromaniacs) feel like they too want to get in on the act.

Spdntrxi
09-09-2020, 06:01 PM
I'm staying inside where my AQI is 2

shinomaster
09-09-2020, 06:24 PM
The air quality shows moderate. Maybe it's only the small particles that matter (e.g. PM2.5)?

Not worth it.

Waldo62
09-09-2020, 06:33 PM

I felt reasonably OK with a snood on.

joosttx
09-09-2020, 06:33 PM
Sounds like thing got really bad in Oregon. Weather has prevented search and rescue teams from searching for survivors of 5 towns destroyed by fires. Prayers.

jtakeda
09-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Jeez so scary. Im reading the inversion layer is supposed to flip in the next day or so and the smoke will be able to clear.

Almost looks like interstellar space...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/John_Coltrane_Interstellar_Space.jpg

mtechnica
09-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Sounds like thing got really bad in Oregon. Weather has prevented search and rescue teams from searching for survivors of 5 towns destroyed by fires. Prayers.

Man that's crazy, I hope they're ok...

Stevemikesteve
09-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Definitely a sad state of affairs up here in Oregon. I'm about 20 or 30 miles or so west of the western edge of where everyone's been evacuated in the McKenzie River Valley. Never thought I'd experience the surreal fire vibes here in little ol' Eugene but there ya go. I feel fortunate to still be in my house even though it's now very smoky inside. Hopefully "fire season" isn't now migrating north, but.... dare to dream.

shinomaster
09-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Definitely a sad state of affairs up here in Oregon. I'm about 20 or 30 miles or so west of the western edge of where everyone's been evacuated in the McKenzie River Valley. Never thought I'd experience the surreal fire vibes here in little ol' Eugene but there ya go. I feel fortunate to still be in my house even though it's now very smoky inside. Hopefully "fire season" isn't now migrating north, but.... dare to dream.

I'm in SE Portland watching the ominous skies darken. It's all very disconcerting.

jtakeda
09-09-2020, 08:28 PM

I wonder if age of that transformer was a factor at all....glad nothing serious happened

gasman
09-09-2020, 10:37 PM
It’s gotten bad in Eugene, everything blew up the last two days. AQIs in the 3-400 range. Ash all over outside and nobody exercising, wisely.
We have several friends that have had evacuate their homes and may not come back to one. Our power has been out the last several nights to avoid fires from downed trees. Luckily it looks like we’ll have power all night tonight .
We are babysitting a friends 6 year old Doberman who normally has 5 acres to run on.
I put on my thick mask and walked him for and hour, or he walked me as he has no leash manners as he has never had to learn. We’re both tired now.
Hoping for better weather and less smoke. Thinking of those who have lost their homes and sadly some who may have lost their lives .

Clean39T
09-09-2020, 11:13 PM
It’s gotten bad in Eugene, everything blew up the last two days. AQIs in the 3-400 range. Ash all over outside and nobody exercising, wisely.
We have several friends that have had evacuate their homes and may not come back to one. Our power has been out the last several nights to avoid fires from downed trees. Luckily it looks like we’ll have power all night tonight .
We are babysitting a friends 6 year old Doberman who normally has 5 acres to run on.
I put on my thick mask and walked him for and hour, or he walked me as he has no leash manners as he has never had to learn. We’re both tired now.
Hoping for better weather and less smoke. Thinking of those who have lost their homes and sadly some who may have lost their lives .

Been thinking about you and the rest of our Oregon pals, especially those from Salem on down..

I hesitate to even say how bad things are here because the reality is we just don't know - reports are few and far between, and it is going to be days before conditions change and relief comes in some form.

shinomaster
09-09-2020, 11:32 PM

Be safe and well.

akelman
09-09-2020, 11:59 PM
Good visualization of the last 24 hours:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PlainHopefulGreatdane-mobile.mp4

ORMojo
09-10-2020, 01:15 AM
Video of one now-destroyed Oregon town as it burns: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/videos/news/2020/09/09/raw-video-devastation-fires-burn-gates/5761563002/

A second destroyed Oregon community.
https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/klcc/files/styles/x_large/public/202009/blue_river_burned_mike_matarrese.jpg

For those of you that have enjoyed the fantastic mountain bike trail alongside the McKenzie River . . . here's the banks of the river now. (Let me clarify that most of the actual McKenzie River Trail itself is unaffected . . . so far. Only the very western (downhill) end of the trail is within the fire boundary at this time. But these photos show what is happening along the McKenzie immediately downriver of that point.)
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/09/09/NREG/07fadad6-8b16-4b2d-a567-a5a593986553-119078575_118888189945636_4967914223026952968_o.jp g

Another view along the McKenzie.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/09/08/NREG/33bf6911-216f-43fc-941c-f9deeb05b14c-EUG-090820-LaneCoGov01.jpg

weaponsgrade
09-10-2020, 01:34 AM
I biked the McKenzie River trail many years ago while visiting family in Corvallis. Really sad to see what's happening. I recently attended a small picnic with a guy from Santa Rosa whose house burned down in the fires a few years back. He's still living in a shipping container.