PDA

View Full Version : Furthest setback 3 hole road shoes?

dem
08-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Anyone found a shoe that lets you put the cleats further back? I ride a size 45 shoe, so there should be room.

I've been struggling with a calf injury for 8+ months.. and the only thing that has helped has been riding mid-foot cleat (drilled out a set of mountain shoes, using SPD pedals.)

I'd like to ease back into the road position (3 inch of toe overlap is awful and I have 2 sets of Look-cleat power meter pedals) but my Lake shoes don't really allow much set back.

Not expecting full mid-foot, but a couple cm would probably help.

gone
08-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Two alternatives:

1. Speedplay makes a setback plate that works with their pedals.

2. This will work with any 3 bolt road pedal:

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/?fbclid=IwAR1esZ46S2wmbcP6LevSLeIcWdeUD9DcHbqV8vHA yhMYuUXvLtRcm2BHpuU

I also have an old injury that recurs when I have the cleats too far forward. Even the farthest back is too far forward on most road shoes. I've used Speedplay with setback plates for years, only recently the ones by mid-foot

dem
08-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Two alternatives:

2. This will work with any 3 bolt road pedal:

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/?fbclid=IwAR1esZ46S2wmbcP6LevSLeIcWdeUD9DcHbqV8vHA yhMYuUXvLtRcm2BHpuU

I also have an old injury that recurs when I have the cleats too far forward. Even the farthest back is too far forward on most road shoes. I've used Speedplay with setback plates for years, only recently the ones by mid-foot

Woo, that adapter looks like the ticket! I googled like crazy and couldn't find it, I guess since it is Europe and Google was helpfully eliminating that from my results. :(

Mark McM
08-18-2020, 01:05 PM

Not anymore, they don't. This just one of many products and parts that have been discontinued by Wahoo after their acquisition of Speedplay.

benb
08-18-2020, 01:08 PM
I gave up on 3 hole road cleats over this (size 46-47 depending on shoe brand).

I'd love to find a solution.

Onno
08-18-2020, 01:28 PM
I had the same problem. I have used the Speedplay adapter, but I find the Speedplay cleats a bit fussy--having to clean and lube and replace too regularly for my tastes, or they got too hard to get in and out of. For me it was an ankle injury that getting the cleats back REALLY helped with. Now I use MTB shoes and Shimano SPD ES600 pedals. Shimano shoes allow you to get the cleats pretty far back, or you can drill out some old shoes (which I've also done with some success).

Waldo62
08-18-2020, 01:39 PM
I've been on mid-foot cleated shoes for at least a dozen years. After wearing out two pairs of custom shoes, I just ordered a pair of Biomacs, which make stock shoes with mid-foot drilled sole. Unfortunately, in the States the package will be traveling by USPS, so I assume it'll be September before I see them.
https://www.biomac.biz/

djg21
08-18-2020, 02:19 PM
Don can do mid-sole or standard. If you talk to him about your needs, he probably can accommodate you. Expensive, but they last forever and will fit you perfectly. https://lamsoncycling.com/

dem
08-18-2020, 02:28 PM
The Biomacs actually look like a decent deal too.. full custom is just not an option, $1250 I can replace all my power meters with Stages crank arms and use SPD.. :)

I ordered up the Patrocleats mid-foot adapters, I'll report back when I try them out.

The toe over lap is tolerable on the road bike, but utterly dangerous off road - lots of technical & tight switchbacks.. so I am hoping I can ease back into a more traditional placement.

This calf injury has been a total drag. Came out of no where and just won't resolve.

cgates66
08-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Giro holes seem pretty far back to me. I ride with Speedplay pedals, and I have them positioned in the bracket as far forward as possible to put the ball of by foot centered over the spindle. I wear a 46 in Giro.