PDA

View Full Version : Easton EC70 Carbon Fork Failure

Spinner
08-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Looking for input regarding the durability of an EC70 with a 1 inch carbon steerer from 2001.

Thanks for your input.

tuscanyswe
08-17-2020, 01:35 PM
I havent heard anything about this fork and failures in particuluar. Sometimes forks just break from an old fall or crash that left damage not found at the time.

Do we get to know what happened or see pictures? Hope you are well at least

Spinner
08-17-2020, 01:44 PM
I havent heard anything about this fork and failures in particuluar. Sometimes forks just break from an old fall or crash that left damage not found at the time.

Do we get to know what happened or see pictures? Hope you are well at least

I'm okay; no issues at this time.

The fork in question is on my 2001 Serotta CIII, which I bought as NOS last year. Thus far, I've only put +/- 250 miles on this rig.

I'm considering giving this bike to my son and simply want piece of mind.

GregL
08-17-2020, 01:53 PM
I'm okay; no issues at this time.

The fork in question is on my 2001 Serotta CIII, which I bought as NOS last year. Thus far, I've only put +/- 250 miles on this rig.

I'm considering giving this bike to my son and simply want piece of mind.Is the fork in question also NOS with the same number of miles? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn’t worry. Likewise, if you know the provenance of the fork and it exhibits no signs of damage, no worries. If the fork is an unknown quantity, or if it shows signs of hard use/abuse, then replace it. I had one 1” fork with a carbon steerer (Reynolds Ouzo Pro). It never showed signs of distress, but it was too flexy for me. The steerer tube just wasn’t solid enough for aggressive riding and it upset the front/tear torsional balance of the bike.

Greg

Spinner
08-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Is the fork in question also NOS with the same number of miles? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn’t worry. Likewise, if you know the provenance of the fork and it exhibits no signs of damage, no worries. If the fork is an unknown quantity, or if it shows signs of hard use/abuse, then replace it. I had one 1” fork with a carbon steerer (Reynolds Ouzo Pro). It never showed signs of distress, but it was too flexy for me. The steerer tube just wasn’t solid enough for aggressive riding and it upset the front/tear torsional balance of the bike.

Greg

The fork is also NOS and their are no signs of damage at all and it rides great.

Thanks for your input.

cmg
08-17-2020, 02:20 PM
not a failure but i watched the legs move excessively under my 200lbs weight while going downhill above 40mph. sold the frame and fork after that. mentioned that the buyer needed to less than 185lbs.

ridethecliche
08-17-2020, 03:37 PM
If you're worried about it, have a trusted shop take a look but be prepared to wait.

I probably wouldn't worry unless it's been sitting in constant direct sunlight for the majority of that time. I don't even think that would be bad enough to break down the epoxy but UV can do that.

fffuhq
08-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Ive seen one fail in a group ride when a light fell and wedged into the fork in between the wheel.