PDA

View Full Version : Opinion page - Soma Wolverine 4.0

AJosiahK
08-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Hey all

Hoping someone out there has had experience with the version 4.0 or the like

Been ditching my casual commuter rigs over the past year and am down to a SS mid reach brake ANT that well, im never letting go of.

I still need / want something that can fit some more uses along with the serious NE winter commutes ill be facing. The Wolverine seems to fit some of those bills.

How do they ride compared to other simliar rigs?

I have both a rigid 29er fork and a parlee gravel fork i can use so options are open there for change in handling. Ill want gears, fenders, rack ability, large clearance, steel, all check.

Ride quality is important to me, having commuted on everything from a fixie to a fat bike, salsa fargo, and the likes Id like to find something that rides and handles great too. Loaded touring, and weekend adventures.

What say you all?

Thanks for your time !

Dired
08-17-2020, 12:52 PM
I have the original wolverine and it checks all your requirements. I've gone camping, commuting, winter base miles, and gravel/off-road. Sure, it's heavy, but my other bike is a 2020 domane and I can't say that I miss it too much. I actually considered selling the soma because of Trek's versatility at first... Glad I didn't though, this bike still rips and can handle anything. Now I'm thinking to swap to thru axle and a carbon fork.

ColonelJLloyd
08-17-2020, 12:52 PM
I had an orange one purchased in 2016. I dunno if it was v1 or v2. It was a dog. The geo sucked (long and low for this type of bike) but I knew that going in. Irrespective of current availability in light of COVID-19, there would seem to be loads of better options out there.

exapkib
08-17-2020, 01:26 PM
It's been said on this forum many times, but don't overlook the various frames available through Black Mountain Cycles.

I'm still riding a canti Monstercross, and just couldn't be happier--light singletrack, bikepacking, commuting, wet-weather fender bike . . . I really like this bike.

doomridesout
08-17-2020, 01:37 PM
BMC MCD is your huckleberry. I have one with Jones bars for everything from rugged urban assault commuting to bikepacking. Some of the best details and ride quality I’ve ever seen on a $700 frame set. Worlds better than the Soma IMO.

theboucher
08-17-2020, 05:41 PM
I have a V1/V2 Wolverine that I really dig. It's posted somewhere in the production bikes gallery. Mine is setup with Sram 1x w/ Juintech brakes and I have two wheelsets - 650bs with fat tires for adventures and 700s with 35s for on road/commuting. Really dig how the bike rides with smaller wheels and the adjustable rear dropouts allow for some fine tuning when carrying weight. Fenders and racks are super easy. Mine gets a lot of use with the Thule kid trailer at the moment.

The V4 model has some significant geo changes - more stack and a little slacker it looks like? Thru axles will stiffen things up a bit, for better or worse depending on application.

Pretty decent tubing, but probably a bit overbuilt compared to a custom bike.

I don't forsee it happening anytime soon, but if I HAD to go down to one bike, the Wolverine is certainly the most versatile bike I own.

Smitty2k1
08-17-2020, 06:06 PM
BMC MCD is your huckleberry. I have one with Jones bars for everything from rugged urban assault commuting to bikepacking. Some of the best details and ride quality I’ve ever seen on a $700 frame set. Worlds better than the Soma IMO.

I can vouch For the BMC Road+ too. Ended up choosing it over a Soma Fog Cutter, for no other reason than the Ultraviolet colorway that was sold out popped back up in stock after a pre-order backed out.

lookout2015
08-17-2020, 08:25 PM
BMC appears to be sold out of almost all frames currently though

Road - discontinued, sold out
Road+ - sold out
Monster Cross - sold out
MCD - only 44, 47, 50 cm left

AJosiahK
08-18-2020, 10:03 AM
thanks so much for the input yall, each and every one of you brought a helpful bit of info and I appreciate it.

Maybe now I am leaning a little further away from the wolverine, i think weight will be a important factor to me, and the fact that they are hardly available.

One thing that had me land on the somas are the 44mm headtube, Those BMC rigs are awesome and have coveted them for a while however Im sitting on two forks id like to use, both require at least a tapered ht. I do imagine the tubing is much better tho ive not looked deeply comparing that topic quite yet.

Im gonna continue said search. Aside from the BMC, and others mentioned are there other rigs out there im missing?

I guess laying out a set of criteria that Im looking for might help so here it goes:

- budget of approx 600-800 for frame only but thats flexible if the right sweet thing comes along
- steel or ti
- Disc brakes - post? but i guess flat mount is fine too
- 44mm ht, so I can utitilze the forks I already have and keep cost down
- BSA bb, non boost, same for rear axle - and 12x142
- Brazes and eyelets for fenders and racks- duh
- ride quality for a bit more aggressive position - mid way between a cx/road and a touring. Kind of a challenging topic because to each their own.

cheers

RobJ
08-18-2020, 11:13 AM
thanks so much for the input yall, each and every one of you brought a helpful bit of info and I appreciate it.

Maybe now I am leaning a little further away from the wolverine, i think weight will be a important factor to me, and the fact that they are hardly available.

One thing that had me land on the somas are the 44mm headtube, Those BMC rigs are awesome and have coveted them for a while however Im sitting on two forks id like to use, both require at least a tapered ht. I do imagine the tubing is much better tho ive not looked deeply comparing that topic quite yet.

Im gonna continue said search. Aside from the BMC, and others mentioned are there other rigs out there im missing?

I guess laying out a set of criteria that Im looking for might help so here it goes:

- budget of approx 600-800 for frame only but thats flexible if the right sweet thing comes along
- steel or ti
- Disc brakes - post? but i guess flat mount is fine too
- 44mm ht, so I can utitilze the forks I already have and keep cost down
- BSA bb, non boost, same for rear axle - and 12x142
- Brazes and eyelets for fenders and racks- duh
- ride quality for a bit more aggressive position - mid way between a cx/road and a touring. Kind of a challenging topic because to each their own.

cheers

The Twin Six Standard Rando fits almost all the requirements and has a geo to match. The BB is PF30, but otherwise checks the boxes.

CMiller
08-18-2020, 11:39 AM
All-City Cosmic Stallion or Gorilla Monsoon (beefier) maybe?

Toddtwenty2
08-18-2020, 12:16 PM
I just had this same conversation with a buddy buying a bike, and we had the exact same list as all of the suggestions thus far.

The only addition was what a potential splurge bike would be, which we added a Gunnar Crosshairs or unfiled Lyonsport at around $1,400 for frame and fork... fairly big jump that he didn't go for.

He ended up preferring the BMC MCD, but did not want to wait and went with the Soma Wolverine. He is quite happy with it.

Smitty2k1
08-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Soma also has the Double Cross Disc and Fog Cutter that are not too different from the Wolverine and maybe better suited?

What about Velo Oranges current offerings? They have basically moved entirely to discs

AJosiahK
08-19-2020, 03:53 PM
didnt look at the velo orange offerings, and the new pass hunter checks a lot of boxes...

I guess its fair to say I may have better luck in somethng else than the Wolverine? And that budget just has to be more flexible.

Anyone have experience on any VO rigs? I like the descriptions of the Pass Hunter and that its got at least a tapered HT for said carbon forks. Im not dedicated to using them but seems to make sense to try.

the VO ones seem like just a fancier version of Surlys midnight special, worth the extra 50 bones and a november release date?

charliedid
08-19-2020, 04:08 PM
If you can find one....KONA Rove LTD would do mighty nice.

I had vs 2 or 3? Wolverine with Jones bars and ATB group from my FOCUS and it was fine for commuting but I didn't love it. That said I know people who ride them every day for just this scenario. Just depends how much WOW! you require from a bike like this?

I bet if I set my Wolv. up to a T I would have liked it better. Such a damn bike shop bike :p

CMiller
08-19-2020, 05:01 PM
VO are much much nicer than Surlys in my experience. Thoughtful touches like Fender mounts, tire spacing, style, higher stack, lighter weight.

josephr
08-20-2020, 07:31 AM
Salsa Vaya may be an option. Never owned one, but ridden a few decent distances and really a sweet riding frame. Little on the pricey side new for the frameset at ~$1000, but comes with a really nice carbon fork and is BSA!