PDA

View Full Version : BikeCAD?

Wayne77
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know of any frame geometry freeware programs out there?

BikeCAD at http://www.bikeforest.com/CAD/bikeCAD.html is pretty nice but they now have it locked down (rightfully so) so you need to buy the Pro version to calculate things like setback, bar drop, etc. No, I'm not using it to second guess any legit frame designer, it's just nice to be able to input the numbers from different frames to get common setback and saddle to bar drop measurements when comparison shopping. It's also nice to input various stem and bar combos to see the affect on reach and drop.

Is there anything else out there that is freeware or doesn't cost too much?

Yes, I'm sure a calculator and a basic knowledge of trig would get me what I need, but it's Friday, and I'm trying not to think too hard today. Thanks all!

Serpico
02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't care. If someone builds nice bikes they should be able to build you a nice one as well. But you know that better than me--your Concours turned out phenomenal. :)

edit: I just thought a program like that would be good for purchasing a stock bike. I fretted over all the details--hopefully that will work out. :o

Wayne77
02-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't care. If someone builds nice bikes they should be able to build you a nice one as well. But you know that better than me--your Concours turned out phenomenal. :)

edit: I just thought a program like that would be good for purchasing a stock bike. I fretted over all the details--hopefully that will work out. :o

Yeah, I'm not using it to make any design decisions on a custom bike (as you say, that's up to the builder) but it's nice when looking at stock frames. I can input the stock frame measurements and see what stem, post, bars, etc are needed to get similar fit measurements based on my known set of ideal numbers.

Re the Concourse - one of these days I'll post a new set of pics. I've switched out a few things, for no other reason than I like change from time to time. It's a little "racier" right now, but I still have the other stuff so I'll no doubt switch back to the original setup once I get bored again - fickle me! :cool: