PDA

View Full Version : Show pics of your home gym

vav
08-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Before Covid, the wife and I were gym rats hitting the gym 4-5 times x week. We both like to do the basic barbell lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, shoulder press so in lieu of the current situation where we don't see ourselves returning to a gym anytime soon, I built a small ( 8x4) lifting platform and power rack. We can't press standing because the ceiling is only 7 ft but we made the most with the tight space we have.

rides2slow
08-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Looks really nice - great job

C40_guy
08-17-2020, 11:09 AM
Some well thought out/executed woodwork there.

Nicely done.

Dude
08-17-2020, 01:09 PM
That's so rad. I saw something similar on reddit the other day. I'm tempted to make a pull up bar with a similar design that I could then build out into a cage. I'm not ready/motivated enough dedicate workout time to weights. Running/riding/kettlebells/body circuits are all I can do throughout a week. I sneak in pullups at a nearby playground 2x a week as well. Is that base able to handle it when/if you drop the weights?

Overhead presses sitting on the ground are more effective anyway, consider your short ceiling a feature not a bug.

vav
08-17-2020, 01:40 PM
^ The bottom base is one sheet of 8x4 3/4 plywood. On top of it, the middle where I stand is a 4x4 3/4 plywood and the black rubber mats are 3/4 horse stall mats. I drop the bar with 3-400 pounds and nothing happens :)

The yellow straps/carabiners/bolts are there to catch the bar in case of a missed rep when squatting or benching and they are rated to hold much more weight that I can handle ;)

We do overhead presses sitting on the bench and its much better than no pressing at all.

The Concept C2 rower is a beast too. Combined with the few sets of dumbells and kettlebells that we use I feel like we are good for the long run. My wife wants a stationary bicycle :eek: and I'll likely get her one in the near future

XXtwindad
08-17-2020, 02:43 PM
Here's my "gym." It's empty. That's the whole point. It also r4esembles the spaces where I train all my clients. The Pandemic revealed what was true all along: you don't need a lot of equipment to get in great shape.

Dude
08-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Don't you go gym shaming my dreams xxtwindad! I want a pull up bar so I don't look like a cyclist.

XXtwindad
08-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Don't you go gym shaming my dreams xxtwindad! I want a pull up bar so I don't look like a cyclist.

haha. no 'gym shaming' here. If ya got it, flaunt it! That being said, one of the best ways to avoid the dreaded (in some circles) 'cyclist bod' is through body weight push-ups. No equipment necessary!

8aaron8
08-17-2020, 03:57 PM
My home gym looks much the same as yours and has for at least the last 10 years. I do toss around dumbbells 1-2x a week, but mostly body weight and cycling.

Here's my "gym." It's empty. That's the whole point. It also r4esembles the spaces where I train all my clients. The Pandemic revealed what was true all along: you don't need a lot of equipment to get in great shape.

weisan
08-17-2020, 04:18 PM
I can't stand working out indoors so I don't have a home gym but if I do...it would look like this...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/cd19105f10d0da2fe21d23e393327f2c/tenor.gif?itemid=9969573

C40_guy
08-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Mine is too boring to show...

Bike on trainer
Treadmill
Bowflex Extreme2 (no laundry hanging from it)
Bosu elite balance ball (1/2)
Floor standing fan
TV in front of trainer & treadmill, with laptop for Zwift
Stereo
small set of free weights
yoga mat
dog

MoparPorsche
08-17-2020, 04:45 PM
Mine is too boring to show...

Bike on trainer
Treadmill
Bowflex Extreme2 (no laundry hanging from it)
Bosu elite balance ball (1/2)
Floor standing fan
TV in front of trainer & treadmill, with laptop for Zwift
Stereo
small set of free weights
yoga mat
dog

You forgot the hot tub :)

C40_guy
08-17-2020, 04:58 PM
You forgot the hot tub :)

Oh right, I'll jump in the time machine and add the hot tub. :)

barnabyjones
08-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Putting the garage too good use.

MattTuck
08-17-2020, 06:51 PM
Do you rent your garage out to a cross fit gym?

Kidding, sort of. Looks like a pretty extensive set up! Nice! :banana:

I'd really like to do our basement over with a gym space, but not in the cards this year. So, probably just be riding the trainer/rollers staring at a concrete wall this winter.

XXtwindad
08-17-2020, 06:55 PM

Damn! That’s impressive! You should pitch that to a magazine.

Edit: The best home set up is the one that’s used most frequently. Same principle with riding. Your “best” bike is the one with the most mileage.

barnabyjones
08-17-2020, 07:04 PM
Do you rent your garage out to a cross fit gym?

Kidding, sort of. Looks like a pretty extensive set up! Nice! :banana:

I'd really like to do our basement over with a gym space, but not in the cards this year. So, probably just be riding the trainer/rollers staring at a concrete wall this winter.

To paraphrase Groucho, I would never join a cult that would have me as a member.

The gym was a showcase for a small interior design firm.

steveoz
08-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Been at it consistently since last November - through quarantine an all - the Bowflex dumbells were a great thrift store find!

vav
08-17-2020, 07:28 PM
here's my "gym." it's empty. That's the whole point. It also r4esembles the spaces where i train all my clients. The pandemic revealed what was true all along: You don't need an expensive personal trainer to get in great shape.

;) :)

LegendRider
08-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Not a picture but my dream set-up:

large climate controlled room
bike on Kickr for Zwifting
Concept2 erg
Pull-up and dips station
Bench
Barbell, weights and dumbbells
Climbing cave
TV and couch
small fridge

tuxbailey
08-17-2020, 07:55 PM
I am starting to do bodyweight exercises so my home gym is consist of:

- Yoga Mat
- Door frame mounted pull up bar
- Elastic bands tied to the treadmill for stretches
- The inversion table frame for dips
- Just received wooden gymnastic rings today so I will hang them on the pull up bar

In addition to treadmill and Kickr.

Dude
08-17-2020, 08:06 PM
Not a picture but my dream set-up:

large climate controlled room
bike on Kickr for Zwifting
Concept2 erg
Pull-up and dips station
Bench
Barbell, weights and dumbbells
Climbing cave
TV and couch
small fridge

You just described barnabyjones’s garage.

General69
08-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Found this set cheap last winter. The guy even delivered it to me just to get rid of it. Put it in the back yard and have no issues even in the winter. Just tape any holes to keep the wasps and bees away. Squats, pull-ups, and dips on the rings is all I do. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/da2a604ca955fca1f4a26bba1fd54574.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

carpediemracing
08-17-2020, 10:26 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96691440_10158490809083824_5565738854918389760_o.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=pdGSn6t5FRMAX8dRKhX&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=938f7e80522816142eeb937182dda125&oe=5F602345

Zwift / trainer, my main bikes (black bike is currently the primary, red is back up, but I seem to switch them around every now and then). CycleOps 300 bike. A cheap/free Weider thing for presses, flys, and pull downs. Dumbells (not in picture) for arm, shoulder, and lats. I got a heavy barbell set for dead lifts but am debating a proper bar for deadlifts or doing a squat rack for squats.

I'd love a leg press machine but space is tight.

Since this picture was taken I've gone through 2 computers (the grey one pictured - power supply snap crackle popped then started to smoke heavily, then a black minitower - failed to boot, bad mb, and now on a second black minitower - moved a new mb into the original minitower out of an identical sister machine).

Room is a work in progress. More mats to lay down. Need to organize the other half of the room. Moving a 4x4 Expedit/Kallax shelf unit in. Need to figure out rollers and a second trainer for the track bike.

Also would like to install some vent registers to help circulate air. I'm in a dead end space and it gets stuffy in there.

old_fat_and_slow
08-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Been at it consistently since last November - through quarantine an all - the Bowflex dumbells were a great thrift store find!

That's my idea of the perfect home gym right there! Good job!

JasonF
08-18-2020, 04:09 PM
When we moved to L.A. I gave away a lot of home gym equipment - there's simply little space in this part of the city for a dedicated home gym.

As luck would have it, the prior owner of the house we bought reinforced the floor of the attic ahead of planning to put 2 bedrooms up there. We had a builder look at the structural work and he said you could park cars up there.

Anyway, I've been slowly rebuilding our home gym and currently have:

1. Rogue rack
2. Powerblock set
3. Bench with chin/dip attachments
4. Concept2 Bikeerg. Here's the view of the Hollywood sign while spinning.

Next steps will be better access to the attic than pulldown stairs and install drywall & mini-split system.

oaklandhillsca
08-18-2020, 04:58 PM
All used weekly - except plyo box and weighted vest. Although I do use the weighted vest for pullups since cycling has made me to skinny according to my other half. I used to be focused solely on working out and now into cycling - so two hobbies to enjoy.

dgauthier
08-18-2020, 10:07 PM

I like a man who knows his priorities.

What are the big chains for on the barbell? (Edit: Googled it -- progressive resistance. Cool.)

old_fat_and_slow
08-19-2020, 09:26 AM
When we moved to L.A. I gave away a lot of home gym equipment - there's simply little space in this part of the city for a dedicated home gym.

As luck would have it, the prior owner of the house we bought reinforced the floor of the attic ahead of planning to put 2 bedrooms up there. We had a builder look at the structural work and he said you could park cars up there.

Anyway, I've been slowly rebuilding our home gym and currently have:

1. Rogue rack
2. Powerblock set
3. Bench with chin/dip attachments
4. Concept2 Bikeerg. Here's the view of the Hollywood sign while spinning.

Next steps will be better access to the attic than pulldown stairs and install drywall & mini-split system.

Man I don't envy you living in that part of town working out in the attic at this time of year despite all your strategically placed fans. Must be like a pizza oven in mid to late August. You're a stronger man than me.

crownjewelwl
08-19-2020, 10:20 AM
here's my setup...havent stepped foot in a commercial gym (other than on vacation) in over a decade

the stud bar is critical...highly recommended if you have high enough ceilings

rack/bench with olympic bar and weights...can do all my strong lifts
stud bar for pull-ups and ring dips
bowflex adjustable dumbbells
peloton tread (really my wife's)
concept2 skierg (the perfect cardio complement for a cyclist)
ab pavelizer (out of view)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50244761441_6ba9ad7f37_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jxXx5n)IMG_20200819_111412 (https://flic.kr/p/2jxXx5n) by W L (https://www.flickr.com/photos/168436343@N02/), on Flickr