PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a wider bottom bracket cable guide

TurboNate
08-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Now that the trend of tires has only gotten wider and wider I am in search of a bottom bracket cable guide where the two saddles in the guide for the front and rear derailleur cables are spaced further apart. Currently the rear tire gets really close to the rear derailleur cable. With a little dirt and grime, and maybe cow poo, it will eventually start to rub on the cable. I want the rear derailleur cable to move further outboard and cannot move the guide further in that direction, I am using the hole next to the front derailleur saddle (even though the photo does not look that way). If I could find a guide with one more hole, or basically another 10-12mm between the to saddles, that would be perfect.

This is the piece I am talking about.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/7343/products/BBguide_grande.jpg?v=1532369050

Velocipede
08-16-2020, 10:39 PM
I've never seen one that wide. Taller, yeah, they do a double tall version. But never a double wide one.

Ed-B
08-17-2020, 08:15 AM
If you can slide the guide over further and still have a good front derailleur slot placement you might be able to drill and tap another hole in the bottom
bracket shell and mount it there.

David Tollefson
08-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Steel frame? Braze on some new cable guides where you need them.

Another thought, maybe not so perfect for adventure/off-pavement -- one one old frame, I just filed small grooves into the BB shell for the cables. They sit in there nicely. Gotta make sure there isn't much in the way of curves in the run though.

robt57
08-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Maybe one of these work for you??

CANNONDALE Cable Guide Bottom Bracket Flash | F-Carbon Series [KP122]

TurboNate
08-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the input and advice, I really thought this might have been BAM here is what you need right here.

I am tossing around the idea of modeling up a simple solution and seeing if I can get a few made by someone with a 3d printer.

To answer some suggestions from above,

There is a rear brake line routed externally that is close to the front derailleur cable, hence there is no room to move the cable guide over another hole width to the drive side.

The frame is not of a material that is able to brazed. Also, I would prefer a bolt on solution, rather than a modification to the bb.