PDA

View Full Version : is Hammerhead Karoo II d.o.a?

cuda
08-16-2020, 08:07 PM
Does anyone here have any insight on whether or not this head unit will see the light of day anytime soon?

fiamme red
08-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Lance's venture capital company has invested in it.

https://bikerumor.com/2020/04/22/hammerhead-karoo-2-gets-leaked-by-lance-armstrong-and-its-officially-coming/

https://www.bikerumor.com/ezoimgfmt/bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/lance-armstrong-leaks-hammerhead-karoo-2-gps-cycling-computer.jpg?ezimgfmt=ng:webp/ngcb3

huck*this
08-16-2020, 08:32 PM
I heard mid 2021.

hobbanero
08-16-2020, 10:04 PM
I signed up for updates on their website a couple of months ago, and got an automated reply acknowledging my signup last week. So if something that should take 30 seconds takes 2 months, general release of the Karoo v2 is likely not imminent. Still, I am excited for it.

cuda
08-17-2020, 11:24 AM
thanks for the replies.
It looks like it has potential to be a good product but consumer availability seems indefinite. Their last FB post was May8th :eek:
I guess i should bite the bullet and buy a Garmin to hold me over till next spring.

makoti
08-17-2020, 11:33 AM
thanks for the replies.
It looks like it has potential to be a good product but consumer availability seems indefinite. Their last FB post was May8th :eek:
I guess i should bite the bullet and buy a Garmin to hold me over till next spring.

Get a Bolt. Very nice.

KonaSS
08-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Didn't own a Karoo 1.0, but my good riding buddy did. After seeing the number of bugs and issues he had, I wouldn't buy any Karoo product at this time.

Honestly - seems like gps computers are hard to master, I would stick with a major brand.

fmradio516
08-17-2020, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt trade my Karoo for anything. No issues whatsoever. But I use it for mtn biking, so theres that. Road might be different.

DavidC
08-17-2020, 06:41 PM
I have a Karoo, mostly use it on the road, and it’s great. Highly recommended. Yes, it has some bugs...but so does Garmin (that’s why they do software updates monthly). Karoo has routine updates and is always getting better, although in the last month they did a major update that is mediocre; seems to be designed for the new, as-yet-unreleased Karoo 2.

I’d be surprised if Karoo 2 isn’t released within the next month or two. They have sold out of Karoo 1, so have no money coming in. Lance has talked about the new unit on his podcast. There are images and video of it on Hammerhead’s website. (It’ll be a little smaller and a lot lighter.) Plus, this new software update I mentioned is reminiscent to me of an iOS release, where Apple releases it just before a new product, but existing models get the new update first.

(But I am surprised I haven’t seen it on any bike gear websites...I’d have thought they’d have models to review by now, if it’s release is imminent....)

adampaiva
08-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Karoo v1 had a ton of bugs at the beginning but they’ve updated regularly and I think it works really well now. I have had two Garmins, still have a Wahoo Element Bolt that just sits in a box now. And I think the Karoo wins no contest. My only gripe is it’s just too big. V2 looks to improve that. I think the hardware was ok from the start but they had to work out the kinks in the software. So v2 should not have those same growing pains.

Also I heard from a little birdie that was expecting a beta version of a v2 pretty soon.

Also also mine is actually broken right now. I managed to hamfist the usb charge port and the solder connection snapped. Hopefully fixed soon though.

adampaiva
08-17-2020, 08:05 PM
PS my riding is mostly road / gravel but I encounter a lot of situations that need re-routing on the fly and this is the only device of the ones I’ve tried that was actually good at that. Both in terms of doing the thinking for you and re-routing or being able to scroll around the map and figure out a new route myself.

fmradio516
08-18-2020, 06:40 AM
My only gripe is it’s just too big.

I actually really like how big it is. I dont have great eyesight but I am able to glance down at the screen while hitting fast, bumpy singletrack and dont even have to squint! Its awesome!

adampaiva
08-18-2020, 08:36 AM
True. I just wish it would shrink by the size of the bezel so it was 100% usable screen. That would be ideal.

DavidC
08-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Just announced today the Karoo 2 goes on pre-order next week.

cuda
08-25-2020, 08:30 AM
they must have heard my whining :hello::banana:

now let see how long to ship.
deets look good

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo2

EDS
08-25-2020, 09:18 AM
Early review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/08/hammerhead-karoo-2-hands-on-details-first-rides.html