PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Somewhere Warm this Fall - Bermuda? Barbados?

damocles
08-16-2020, 10:37 AM
As a Canadian who lives in Vancouver, I've often left the rainy Pacific Northwest for the months of October & November to keep enjoying riding through the fall...

In the past, I've been to some very cycling friendly places like Mallorca, Maui, Kona and Colombia. I've also found myself in less cycling friendly places like Cabo San Lucas, Palm Springs and Oahu. I'm not one to shy away from riding in sketchy places, but sure do prefer my rides where road cycling is welcomed and given room.

I'm definitely considering skipping my warm fall riding this year due to COVID-19. The list of places that Canadians can travel to at the moment that fit the bill is pretty small. I will need to quarantine for 14 days upon return from anywhere, so if I do go, it would be for at least two months.

Anyway, here's the criteria for what I'm after:

Canadian's are allowed to travel there (based on https://time-to-travel.ca/where-canadians-can-travel-now)
I can fly direct from a Canadian airport
Is warm and road cycling friendly
Has a low number of COVID cases and a stable government

By the time you filter down these requirements, I get Bermuda & Barbados. Possible other candidates include Antigua, Aruba, Guadeloupe and Saint Lucia...

Does anyone from the Paceline have any intel of riding in any of these places? I've done some poking around on Strava to see activity but haven't really found any other good details... Thanks!

.RJ
08-16-2020, 01:03 PM
I guess you cant come to the US? This screams Phoenix/Tuscon to me.

damocles
08-16-2020, 01:16 PM
I guess you cant come to the US? This screams Phoenix/Tuscon to me.

In more normal times, that's a great call. I did a couple of weeks in Scottsdale a few years back and would love to revisit. It seems that Canada/US leisure travel is not allowed right now though.

buddybikes
08-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Anguilla is a favorite of ours. Flat and small, but combine some beach activities to keep in shape. We stay at Turtles Nest resort, much cheaper than other places (with exception of inland) Wonderful people.

Spaghetti Legs
08-16-2020, 04:53 PM
I’d be curious to hear some updated views on Bermuda. My wife and I did a spur of the moment trip there, back before kids in 1996, when we could do that kind of thing. We rented mountain bikes to tool around the island. Back then, everyone, and I mean everyone, was on very loud motor scooters. We didn’t feel particularly unsafe on the road, but we were also young and carefree. I’m curious if it’s changed now, e- bikes?

At any rate, the island isn’t that big and my guess is you’d get about 2 shortish rides before you had to start repeating. OTOH, the beaches are fabulous.

GonaSovereign
08-16-2020, 06:35 PM
Have a good look at Guadeloupe. It’s on my must-visit list. A great cycling culture and solid hills for the Caribbean.

If you can go to Cayman, you'll do well. It’s flat and has limited roads, but plenty for a month or two. It’s a lovely place.

R3awak3n
08-16-2020, 06:42 PM
if you really want to focus on cycling Cayman maybe not the best place but if you want to go to an amazing place, great food, great people, amazing beaches and can also cycle I agree that Grand Cayman is awesome.

RKW
08-17-2020, 06:21 AM
By the time you filter down these requirements, I get Bermuda.

As a native...if you're going for a warm-weather riding vacation...go elsewhere. You can ride a significant majority of the roads in BDA in two days. One if you're feeling adventurous.

The rest of the island is wonderful, but the riding isn't all that great.

Also, not the warmest that time of year.

Onno
08-17-2020, 08:00 AM
Bermuda is very small, and all its roads are narrow, though paved. I don't think I could stand to bike there for more than a week. Dedicated riders there ride very early in the morning, before all the cars and mopeds get out on the roads. I've found drivers there to be respectful, on the whole, and the maximum speed limit all over the island is 35 mph, but a cycling destination it ain't. I've also been to St. Lucia, which has some really great roads (lots of pavement, lots of hills), but again, lots of traffic. Certainly worth investigating, though. Also, lots of Canadians in St. Lucia! (Sarah McLaughlin was on our flight there--I suspect she has a place on the island.)

damocles
08-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Have a good look at Guadeloupe. It’s on my must-visit list. A great cycling culture and solid hills for the Caribbean.

if you really want to focus on cycling Cayman maybe not the best place but if you want to go to an amazing place, great food, great people, amazing beaches and can also cycle I agree that Grand Cayman is awesome.

As a native...if you're going for a warm-weather riding vacation...go elsewhere. You can ride a significant majority of the roads in BDA in two days. One if you're feeling adventurous.

The rest of the island is wonderful, but the riding isn't all that great.

Also, not the warmest that time of year.

Bermuda is very small, and all its roads are narrow, though paved. I don't think I could stand to bike there for more than a week. Dedicated riders there ride very early in the morning, before all the cars and mopeds get out on the roads. I've found drivers there to be respectful, on the whole, and the maximum speed limit all over the island is 35 mph, but a cycling destination it ain't. I've also been to St. Lucia, which has some really great roads (lots of pavement, lots of hills), but again, lots of traffic. Certainly worth investigating, though. Also, lots of Canadians in St. Lucia! (Sarah McLaughlin was on our flight there--I suspect she has a place on the island.)

tv_vt
08-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Have you considered Corsica? Or is that too far or not open to travel right now for CNDNs?

Or Canary Islands? Or same issues there?

damocles
08-17-2020, 09:57 AM
I hadn't thought of Corsica lately, although now that you mention it I've heard of incredible cycling there in the past from friends who have been.

I spent several months in the Canaries when I was about 20 and loved it there.

I'm just not sure I want to be 10+ hours of travel away from home this fall, not knowing exactly what's going to be happening in the world. It does look like I can get a flight from Vancouver to Frankfurt direct, and then on to anywhere in Europe, so possible options for sure.

Have you considered Corsica? Or is that too far or not open to travel right now for CNDNs?

Or Canary Islands? Or same issues there?

RonW87
08-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Not sure why you're counting out southern Europe. Spain, southern France or Italy would all be on my list. I few years ago I did a trip that started in Sardinia. We then took the ferry across to Corsica. If I had two months I'd do two weeks in Sardinia and 6 weeks in Corsica.

Another place I'd look at is Costa Brava. Either Girona or Figueres. (Non-stop flights YYZ to BCN.)

damocles
08-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Not counting it out per se. I've also done lots of cycling in Spain, France and Italy and love all of those places. A short, direct flight back into Canada gives me a bit more comfort in these whacky COVID times.

But you're right, maybe a 3 hour flight to Bermuda vs an 8 hour flight to Barcelona is purely a psychological difference...

Not sure why you're counting out southern Europe. Spain, southern France or Italy would all be on my list. I few years ago I did a trip that started in Sardinia. We then took the ferry across to Corsica. If I had two months I'd do two weeks in Sardinia and 6 weeks in Corsica.

Another place I'd look at is Costa Brava. Either Girona or Figueres. (Non-stop flights YYZ to BCN.)

Toddykins
08-17-2020, 12:02 PM
Corsica is the single greatest cycling destination on earth if you ask me - So much wilder than Mallorca and an incredible variation from coastal roads through rolling hills and high alpine riding. Once you turn off the few developed bits on the coast you can pretty much instantly be on excellent tiny roads for riding.

That said, it will be cold by November and you will have to connect once or even twice to get there since off season flights are few and far between.

Onno
08-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Victoria really does have better weather than Vancouver! :)

I spent a sabbatical winter there and found I could ride nearly every day--also noticed that the mainland was under heavy clouds nearly all that time.

dsimon
08-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Somewhere in Southern spain