PDA

View Full Version : Saddle revelation

EB
08-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Obvious thing is obvious, but after many years of riding strictly with narrow fit saddles (#roadiefashion) I tried a 150mm wide WTB Volt and it’s been an absolute revelation.

Of all things it was the WTB website that suggested this, with a wrist measurement fit - so +1 for marketing, but still learning after all these years.

Big Dan
08-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Most riders can benefit from wider saddles, something 145 and up instead of all the fancy cutouts.

zzy
08-16-2020, 10:49 AM
WTB also makes fantastic saddles for the $$. $40 for most steel models (and $250 for carbon??). Been riding them for two decades.

Mike V
08-16-2020, 10:57 AM
I use thick and thin. Regals and Flites.

Ralph
08-16-2020, 11:01 AM
I'm 155 lbs with a bony butt.....and I do better with 155 width....and a bunch of padding. When fitting instructions say a 143....and some say lots of padding is bad. But I sure like padding. My idea of the perfect saddle (for me) would be Specialized Power in 155 with about 2-3 times the padding it currently has. The various Brooks, Anatomica, and others don't work for me at all.

After going thru about 50 saddles....I've got to the point where I don't care what they weigh....doesn't matter if I can't sit on one without agony. Lots of us....as we age, our sit bones deteriorate some, and we lose the padding on our butts.....and you see it on here....many saddle problems.... can't get comfortable on the saddles we used in past. And my fitter told me.....as you age, if you get uncomfortable on the saddle.....first thing is to check your position on the bike....sometimes that has to change with age. It helped me (a lot) to shorted up my reach 11 to a 9CM....and I was able to leave the drop the same.

Currently doing OK on a Selle Royal Scientia....(about 160 MM wide) a saddle no one talks about on here. Well made, inexpensive, and lots of padding in about 9 different sizes, depending on your size and use. Just finished a pain free 30 miles about 30 minutes ago. The WTB's look very interesting....and comfortable.

buddybikes
08-16-2020, 11:01 AM
I plugged in various wrist widths and keep coming out with wide. How do others fair, any mediums or narrow?

robt57
08-16-2020, 11:24 AM
One my go fastbikes with 4" saddle to bar drop fat saddles do not work with the forward rotated pelvis for me.

Gravel more upright or Endurance geom road with less pelvic tilt I also like the wider saddles where I am using the sit bone more.

So it make sense the onset of all roads and gravel bikes being mostly what the new bike is, the industry benefits again for the new saddles quests. ')

scoobydrew
08-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Specialized Power Arc is THE saddle for me (for the road bike at least). Works both on the road and trainer.

I started with a Fabric Scoop 143 that was fine on the road for thousands of miles, but was killer on the trainer. Tried out the PRO Stealth 142, but it was a bit too flat for me. Went with a Specialized Power 143 and loved the huge cutout. A bit flat but not terrible. The edges of the "wings" were chafing my thigh though. Finally discovered the Power Arc 143 which is perfect. Nice "rounded" shape with a decent cutout that keeps me comfortable both on the road and trainer.

Peter P.
08-16-2020, 01:21 PM
I'm sold on WTB saddles.

I stumbled onto a WTB Rocket in a then-spec'd 127mm width (now 130mm) many years ago. I never thought I'd like such a narrow saddle as I didn't pick it based on width but overall shape. It was a bubble gum cradle for my butt. Loved that saddle until it wore out.

After that I tried both the WTB Deva (they said guys like it, too!) and Silverado. The shape and width were fine but the padding is too thin on both, even for my 135lbs.

Then I bought another, newer 130mm Rocket, buying a cheaper model because I assumed it would come with softer padding, like the old Rocket, above.

No; it's noticeably firmer :mad:. But more often than not I forget about it, so it's a keeper.

The WTB Volt has my interest because the web site says it has thicker padding than the Deva or Silverado, and I like the looks of the shape.

And I have a 148mm WTB Pure on my mountain bike. I could easily find love for it on my road bike.

What I've found is the narrower saddles are uncomfortable for me if I sit more upright, (almost like getting a "saddle wedgie"!) as I do on my mountain bike. But I'm sure I'd find the wider saddle fine for a more aggressive road bike position.

bikinchris
08-16-2020, 08:03 PM
The shape of a saddle is also important and many people ride a saddle too narrow. My wife loves her 170mm Avocet 40W saddle that's not made anymore. It has a square top and narrows down very quickly to allow your legs to move freely.

54ny77
08-16-2020, 08:12 PM
There was a retired domestic pro who's now doing coaching, fitting , etc and on a website link that I read (maybe it came from here?), where he just raved on and on about the world's ugliest saddle, the SMP thing that looks like the schnoz of the wicked witch in wizard of oz .

His raving and ranting on that brand/type of saddle actually has me thinking of trying one. Anyone here use 'em?

Can't recall the website or the guy's name, but do remember the SMP saddle with cutout recommendation.

I've been largely on San Marco Concor (way back when), Turbo (original and Flite, just to try something new) for a very long time, followed by Fizik Aliante for the past decade or so. Never had a comfort issue or numbness.

Ronsonic
08-16-2020, 08:30 PM
I know a number of guys who love that SMP thing on and off road.

Never tried it myself.

Turns out that WTB understands my fundamental parts pretty well. Narrow thin ones for the road and a bit wider and cushier on the MTB.

eddief
08-16-2020, 08:33 PM
you ought to buy a couple of spares before they discontinue it. i been on their Pure V for years. just works.

Wakatel_Luum
08-16-2020, 08:48 PM
There was a retired domestic pro who's now doing coaching, fitting , etc and on a website link that I read (maybe it came from here?), where he just raved on and on about the world's ugliest saddle, the SMP thing that looks like the schnoz of the wicked witch in wizard of oz .

His raving and ranting on that brand/type of saddle actually has me thinking of trying one. Anyone here use 'em?

Can't recall the website or the guy's name, but do remember the SMP saddle with cutout recommendation.

I've been largely on San Marco Concor (way back when), Turbo (original and Flite, just to try something new) for a very long time, followed by Fizik Aliante for the past decade or so. Never had a comfort issue or numbness.

This guy loves them...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/

cinema
08-16-2020, 08:55 PM
i have the same 150mm volt i got it new for $35 on ebay 5 years ago. it's awesome, i often use it on my 29er when i climb mt lukens, which is the highest peak in la, in regular shorts. i also have the narrower one on my cross bike without much difference in comfort. they rule

BdaGhisallo
08-17-2020, 04:46 AM

Colby Pearce

https://www.colbypearce.com/smp-saddles-page/

oldpotatoe
08-17-2020, 06:16 AM
Obvious thing is obvious, but after many years of riding strictly with narrow fit saddles (#roadiefashion) I tried a 150mm wide WTB Volt and it’s been an absolute revelation.

Of all things it was the WTB website that suggested this, with a wrist measurement fit - so +1 for marketing, but still learning after all these years.

Be sure to buy a few spares..one thing for sure, find a great saddle and they will discontinue it or change it or muck it up somehow. :)

Ozz
08-17-2020, 07:51 AM
I put on a 25mm rear tire......my Prologo Scratch has never been more comfortable! ;)

OtayBW
08-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Oops. Dupe. Sorry...

OtayBW
08-17-2020, 07:55 AM
131 mm wide for me. Same saddle for >10 years. Love it. I've got one on each of 4 bikes, so I'm covered....

weisan
08-17-2020, 08:00 AM
The key takeaway from this thread for me at least and it concurs with my own experience is....nothin' is fixed forever, what works in the past, may or may not work now...why? Because we, humans, are not fixed objects ordinarily, some maybe...but most of us are not. We are living, breathing, changing, morphing, evolving, becoming, deteriorating, improving, shortening, lengthening extending, crawling, squeaking, whining...er....I think you get my point. ;)

Onno
08-17-2020, 08:01 AM
I've discovered that a wider saddle promotes saddle sores, and narrower ones don't--reason enough for me to stick to narrow saddles.

J.Higgins
08-17-2020, 08:03 AM
I know a number of guys who love that SMP thing on and off road.

Are you speaking of the Selle SMP? I have one. I gave it a good go. Rode it for a couple months and just couldn't find a sweet spot with it. I grew weary of making minor adjustments every ride, and it just never got comfortable. I guess it just wasnt designed for my bits. Swapped into a Fizik saddle and never looked back.

David Tollefson
08-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Revelation for me was when I tore the old cover and padding off an old saddle (from a 1993 Pro-Flex) and decided to ride it anyway. It was actually MORE comfortable. Since then, I haven't ridden a padded saddle. The latest most-comfy saddle I've been using is the cheap Chinese copy of the Tioga Spyder, going by the name Vertu, and available on Amazon for $5-15. Laugh all you want, it's the most comfortable saddle I've used.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50237499007_45047f7168_z.jpg

mcteague
08-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Are you speaking of the Selle SMP? I have one. I gave it a good go. Rode it for a couple months and just couldn't find a sweet spot with it. I grew weary of making minor adjustments every ride, and it just never got comfortable. I guess it just wasnt designed for my bits. Swapped into a Fizik saddle and never looked back.

Selle SMP make lots of different models so the one you tried may not have been right. With this brand you really have to find a shop with a good selection of test saddles. Once you find the best shape it will still require tweaking. No guarantee SMPs will work but they do seem like the best design from an anatomical perspective.

Tim

cgates66
08-17-2020, 11:34 AM
Saddles are funny. I got fitted for a "medium" (in the low 140s) and that's about right - I'm big, I guess, but not so wide. But I get dramatically different results with different shapes. I tried a Sella SMP and hated it. The old Bontrager Affinity was good. The Fizik Arione for me is a torture chamber; the Aliante was 50/50.

This season I've been on a Shimano Turnix, and it's great. Although I've been fiddling with saddle height, and 2mm (!) makes a huge difference for me in "long-term comfort" (chafing). So that saddle fit seems to depend in part on "how" you are sitting, as well as your anatomy in some arbitrary fitting position. A big revelation for me.

mhespenheide
08-17-2020, 01:19 PM
. The latest most-comfy saddle I've been using is the cheap Chinese copy of the Tioga Spyder, going by the name Vertu, and available on Amazon for $5-15. Laugh all you want, it's the most comfortable saddle I've used.

I appreciate hearing that; I’ve been curious about them for a while.

cinema
08-17-2020, 01:27 PM
been meaning to try a tioga for a while now. i like the no padding/bouncy saddle style. my favorite saddle is the original c17. i can ride many saddles comfortably for up to 60 miles or so. what i discovered is it when i change saddles the saddle height also needs to be fluid. +/- up to 1cm sometimes (usually down if you experience discomfort). turns ass hatchets into good saddles. many don't know this. instead of using algorithms and expensive fitters i use the power of taint comfort and adjust downwards accordingly. bike fitters are a starting point for me. i've had a couple paid ones and both were within 1/4 a cm away from each other on saddle height but over time i ended up .5-1cm lower mostly depending on saddle model. narrower saddles i actually need a little lower than wider ones, not sure how that makes any sense.

d_douglas
08-17-2020, 02:31 PM
I use a 25yr old WTB SST ti saddle on my MTB. It is amazingly comfortable. When I sold my current bike, I took it off and put some random Bontrager one on there, so I could keep that butt ugly saddle. Love it.

buddybikes
08-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Just like there are foot molds perhaps we need a butt mold - new revenue opportunity (perhaps they exist I haven't been in a store for years)

tuxbailey
08-17-2020, 04:47 PM
have you tried the forum's sensation, the Pro Stealth 152mm? I am pretty sure David Kirk's post caused a lot of shortage of the saddle :)