PDA

View Full Version : Rapha wind Jacket replacement

dsimon
08-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Hey all,
looking for a wind jacket that is similar to the rapha classic wind jacket but with pockets. and similar material nothing plastic-y feeling Cafe du cyclist looks nice a tad expensive but nice. what else does the BRAIN trust recommend
Thanks

Toddykins
08-15-2020, 08:23 PM
This is perhaps not the answer you are looking for, but I think Gore shakedry has essentially made ‘windjackets’ obsolete. Its lighter or as light as any windjackets I have tried, is more breathable and, of course, works as a rain jacket.

I am not sure who is making these with pockets - Is there a reason you prefer to use these on a garment which you may be taking on/off vs just using the pockets on your jersey? My own experience is that pockets on super light weight jackets/gilets/etc tend to perform worse more movement.

In short, skip the windjacket - pay up for a rapha or gore shakedry jacket, killing two birds with one stone. Live happily ever after.

pdmtong
08-15-2020, 08:29 PM
the remarkable attribute of the rapha wind jacket is that it is silent. but it is not very packable and the fit doesn't agree with me (need L for body but XL for shoulders)

the trade-off for packable is noise. haven't found quiet and packable.

does shake dry like being scrunched up? I'd hate to ruin the water proof aspect of the jacket because I used it as a packable shell during the summer

I dont care for pockets in a wind jacket. don't like the position and don't like the loaded feeling if I put something in the pockets.

Toddykins
08-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Shakedry copes very well with being packed - I ride with mine in my pocket all the time. It does not use a surface dwr treatment so I am not sure what one would worry about in terms of packing reducing performance. I don’t know that I would use it primarily for mountain biking with potential for snags and heavy pack usage, but it has been plenty durable for normal road/gravel use in my case.

I don’t say this lightly - I have tried just about every iteration of gore-tex, schoeller fabrics, dryvent, etc and Shakedry is absolutely a game-changer in terms of waterproof/breathable fabrics. Nothing else is in the same league.

Edit to add: I also use mine with a running vest frequently and have had no issues.

Toddykins
08-15-2020, 10:21 PM
the remarkable attribute of the rapha wind jacket is that it is silent. but it is not very packable and the fit doesn't agree with me (need L for body but XL for shoulders)

the trade-off for packable is noise. haven't found quiet and packable.

does shake dry like being scrunched up? I'd hate to ruin the water proof aspect of the jacket because I used it as a packable shell during the summer

I dont care for pockets in a wind jacket. don't like the position and don't like the loaded feeling if I put something in the pockets.

If the primary concern is noise - Why not use something like a sportful fiandre light jersey? I use this more than jackets and gilets because it breathes super well and combined with armwarmers with a dwr treatment like castelli nanoflex means you have a ton of versatility. I only bring the jacket when I am layering more for cold or think its going to be a sustained downpour.

Willy
08-15-2020, 10:21 PM
From the Goretex website

“Use with backpack not recommended”

I agree that Shakedry is a game changer.

charliedid
08-15-2020, 10:33 PM
Yeah Shakedry doesn't have a DWR because it doesn't have a face fabric, it's basically just the membrane. That makes it amazing and somewhat limited in its use.

weisan
08-16-2020, 01:36 AM
I used Shakedry all winter...as a wind breaker. All my other winter gear...I left them at home.

I often use it at the start of the ride when it's below 50. Once I warm up, I take it off and pack it away in my jersey pocket and just ride with a short jersey + underlay + short + knee warmers. This formula has worked for me all winter in Texas.

I am not worried about tears or durability...in my estimation, we are overly worried about all these "what-ifs" that hardly ever happened and the end result is, all our expensive gear and bikes get under-utilized and never get the returns for our money.

joosttx
08-16-2020, 02:03 AM
Check out the PeDaled All weather jacket. They make very good quality and thoughtful clothes. I think the fabric feels similar but better than the Rapha wind jacket fabric.

https://pedaled.com/us_en/men-all-weather-cycling-jacket-brick-red-mirai

pdmtong
08-16-2020, 06:16 AM
If the primary concern is noise - Why not use something like a sportful fiandre light jersey? I use this more than jackets and gilets because it breathes super well and combined with armwarmers with a dwr treatment like castelli nanoflex means you have a ton of versatility. I only bring the jacket when I am layering more for cold or think its going to be a sustained downpour.

The Rapha wind jacket can get packed but it consumes all the Jersey locket with some still sticking out.

Perhaps this is why they changed the name from the original stowaway moniker

On longer rides with a lot of temperature transition where pocket space is a premium I’ve switched to more packable piece (Rapha pro team, PI, Castelli) and just deal with the flapping noise.

dsimon
08-16-2020, 06:53 AM
For me its more about noise than packability and when I start off if the rapha wind Jacket I always finish in it. as for pockets sorry for the cell phone I hate taking off the Jacket to dig through pockets for the phone. sometimes Im on call and need to grab it.

Mr B
08-16-2020, 07:21 AM
For me its more about noise than packability and when I start off if the rapha wind Jacket I always finish in it. as for pockets sorry for the cell phone I hate taking off the Jacket to dig through pockets for the phone. sometimes Im on call and need to grab it.

Perhaps Cargo bibs (https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/mens-cargo-bib-shorts/product/BRC01XXBLK) can take care of your phone?

FlashUNC
08-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Just as an alternative, Assos Equipe RS Long Sleeve Jersey. Wind blocking with temp control properties, pockets, and no flaps because it's aero. Great for spring/fall stuff that it's designed for.

jpw
08-16-2020, 09:25 AM
Shakedry copes very well with being packed - I ride with mine in my pocket all the time. It does not use a surface dwr treatment so I am not sure what one would worry about in terms of packing reducing performance. I don’t know that I would use it primarily for mountain biking with potential for snags and heavy pack usage, but it has been plenty durable for normal road/gravel use in my case.

I don’t say this lightly - I have tried just about every iteration of gore-tex, schoeller fabrics, dryvent, etc and Shakedry is absolutely a game-changer in terms of waterproof/breathable fabrics. Nothing else is in the same league.

Edit to add: I also use mine with a running vest frequently and have had no issues.

Yes, but which shakedry jackets for cycling are worthy of consideration?

pdmtong
08-16-2020, 11:37 AM
personal use case is really key here.
Just as an alternative, Assos Equipe RS Long Sleeve Jersey. Wind blocking with temp control properties, pockets, and no flaps because it's aero. Great for spring/fall stuff that it's designed for.
I had the previous version of this - forgot the name.

many choices
- short sleeve jersey - arm warmers - vest
- long sleeve with wind block
- wind jacket

I might go with any of these depending on duration, elevation, time of year and of course weather outlook for the time i'm out.

the shakedry product is of interest top me for sure but since I already own pieces for pack-ability, wind and rain I'm not finding a strong enough reason to buy something new and try to sell off my existing.

Toddykins
08-16-2020, 12:09 PM
Yes, but which shakedry jackets for cycling are worthy of consideration?

I am partial to the rapha and gore (i have what now goes by c5 1985, i believe) - but I assuming that most of the top tier manufacturers are more or less similar when it comes to these...

9tubes
08-16-2020, 01:33 PM
That Gore Shakedry looks good, maybe a bit pricey though.

The deal killer for me is that it's available only in black. What the 'eff are they thinking? Have they actually ridden a bicycle in the winter in an urban area? I like being alive.

jpw
08-16-2020, 01:38 PM
The deal killer for me is that it's available only in black. What the 'eff are they thinking? Have they actually ridden a bicycle in the winter in an urban area? I like being alive.

This may be about to change. Keep a lookout for brighter colours as the season changes.

9tubes
08-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Perhaps Cargo bibs (https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/mens-cargo-bib-shorts/product/BRC01XXBLK) can take care of your phone?

Wearing cargo bibs on the road is a crime against nature. I don't know if it's in The Rules but it should be. That and putting a phone down the back of your shorts above the tailbone. I saw that a couple of weeks ago. Yikes.

Any packable objects should go in rear pockets as intended by God. Seriously. It was on the third stone tablet, the one that Moses dropped, right above the prohibition of Bento Boxes.

Toddykins
08-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Disagree - I fit two sandwiches, two cookies, hand sanitizer and a mask in my cargo pockets yesterday. It was bliss.

reuben
08-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Earlier today I went on a short ride in a light rain. The $85 PI Quest Barrier Jacket worked just fine. Noise? There's enough wind noise from simple forward motion, helmet straps, etc., that I didn't notice anything unusual that might have been due to the jacket.

Quest Barrier Jacket (https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/outerwear/road/mens_quest_barrier_jacket/p/11132008)

pdmtong
08-16-2020, 02:13 PM
Earlier today I went on a short ride in a light rain. The $85 PI Quest Barrier Jacket worked just fine. Noise? There's enough wind noise from simple forward motion, helmet straps, etc., that I didn't notice anything unusual that might have been due to the jacket.

Quest Barrier Jacket (https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/outerwear/road/mens_quest_barrier_jacket/p/11132008)
My older PI barrier is much quieter than my Rapha PT "wind jacket". Believe me, there is no mistaking the flapping noise when it occurs.

Steve in SLO
08-16-2020, 02:42 PM
as for pockets sorry for the cell phone I hate taking off the Jacket to dig through pockets for the phone. sometimes Im on call and need to grab it.

You get to ride when you’re on call? I’m jealous!

livesadventure
08-16-2020, 02:58 PM
The pas normal studios stowaway is great in the wind, fits well and has a double zip so it’s easy to access your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9tubes
08-16-2020, 07:17 PM
I fit two sandwiches, two cookies, hand sanitizer and a mask in my cargo pockets yesterday. It was bliss.

Plus your thighs looked like Eric Heiden.

jpw
08-17-2020, 02:33 AM
The pas normal studios stowaway is great in the wind, fits well and has a double zip so it’s easy to access your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the rain?

https://www.pasnormalstudios.com/commodity/1713-pas-normal-studios-stow-away-jacket-bright-lime

"100% Japanese nylon" - is this something to want?

dsimon
08-17-2020, 06:55 AM
Thanks All I appreciatecha

bicycletricycle
08-17-2020, 08:13 AM
I agree.

marciero
08-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Trick is to get on blowout price. The color is non-issue if you have lights.

jpw
08-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Assos should change to Shakedry for its rain jackets, but I sense it is 'stubborn' about its in-house textiles.