PDA

View Full Version : Lombardy - Evenepoel (graphic content added).

jpw
08-15-2020, 10:03 AM
I just saw Evenepoel go over the side of a bridge. It looked extremely bad.

Clean39T
08-15-2020, 10:17 AM
There are reports on RAI that he's alive and conscious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LegendRider
08-15-2020, 10:44 AM
https://twitter.com/NottaPriest/status/1294651364979748869

jpw
08-15-2020, 11:04 AM
...and Schachmann gets taken out by a private car driving on the course!

Clean39T
08-15-2020, 11:17 AM
I just saw Evenepoel go over the side of a bridge. It looked extremely bad.

May want to change the title per the "no spoilers" convention here - plus give a warning for those not looking to see graphic stuff before they click on the twitter link someone else posted..

jpw
08-15-2020, 11:32 AM
May want to change the title per the "no spoilers" convention here - plus give a warning for those not looking to see graphic stuff before they click on the twitter link someone else posted..

I will modify it, although 'spoiler' seems to be for other circumstances. I will use 'graphic content'.

Clean39T
08-15-2020, 11:39 AM
I will modify it, although 'spoiler' seems to be for other circumstances. I will use 'graphic content'.Thanks. Spoilers don't bother me since it's expected when opening the internet that one will see outcomes, but others here get bent out of shape if any info from a race is conveyed before it's firmly in the history books...

Anyway, just hope he's okay.

Seems Trek had some more #$&+)(_!! SrAm moments at the end of the race too?!?

jpw
08-15-2020, 11:41 AM
Thanks. Spoilers don't bother me since it's expected when opening the internet that one will see outcomes, but others here get bent out of shape if any info from a race is conveyed before it's firmly in the history books...

Anyway, just hope he's okay.

Seems Trek had some more #$&+)(_!! SrAm moments at the end of the race too?!?

Remco was a lucky boy. That looked like a 35 foot drop, or more. If that had been one of those deeper ravines...

You mean Mollema? He overcooked the left corner and came to a grinding halt before changing gear. He then proceeded to 'blend' his chainring. What a pro :)

Toeclips
08-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Was Quick Step on the cover of Sports Illustrated

It seems that their riders are having a horrible year

Hope he and Jacobsen will be ok

ultraman6970
08-15-2020, 12:38 PM
Wish this kid a fast recovering...

reuben
08-15-2020, 12:44 PM
https://twitter.com/NottaPriest/status/1294651364979748869

Those look like fairly mature trees. 30 feet/10 meters tall or more. This is not good.

Stainomo
08-15-2020, 01:05 PM
https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/en/news/4500/remco-evenepoel-update

Fractured pelvis, end of season but this could have been way worse. :mad:

LegendRider
08-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Reminded me of Gilbert’s crash in the Tour.

Kyle h
08-15-2020, 02:20 PM
Man, DQS is having a rather **** start of a return to racing.

charliedid
08-15-2020, 03:37 PM
Just a freak accident? Man another 50 ft down the road and it could have been deadly. Terrifying.

Elefantino
08-15-2020, 07:28 PM
My first thought upon seeing the crash live on TV was "Taylor Phinney."

I hope this isn't the case of another wildly promising career derailed by a crash. Evenepoel can be one of the greats.

flying
08-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Yes lets hope for a speedy recovery!
Fractured pelvis last I heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPJ3r_BXL8

charliedid
08-15-2020, 08:18 PM
Did he just get distracted and lose his line? Overcooked it?

pdmtong
08-15-2020, 08:25 PM
Just a freak accident? Man another 50 ft down the road and it could have been deadly. Terrifying.

he over cooked the turn and went over at the first available location.

if he saves the turn he's not going over the edge 50' further....

this is perhaps the 5th time I recall seeing a rider hit a low wall and flip over the edge ... scary stuff. two guys same team lucky to be alive.

Jaybee
08-15-2020, 08:34 PM

this is perhaps the 5th time I recall seeing a rider hit a low wall and flip over the edge ... scary stuff. two guys same team lucky to be alive.

Alaphillipe got really close to a similar low wall corner on the top of the Poggio last weekend. I think Tarmacs are trying to hurt people. ;)

charliedid
08-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Thanks,

Yeah it was a bit of a Deja Vu moment for sure.

gbcoupe
08-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Did he just get distracted and lose his line? Overcooked it?

I was wondering the same. Couldn't tell if he overcooked a curve prior or had his head down and didn't see that the bridge narrowed. All in all sounds like he made out alright, given the circumstances.

My heart went to my stomach when I saw the footage. Same as when Johan Bruyneel went over the cliff in the 96 (I think?) Tour. Scary stuff for sure.

pdmtong
08-15-2020, 08:40 PM
For sure he had enough time to realize uh-oh, I've just somersaulted over a wall an am about to hit the ground somewhere "far" below. That's got to be the worse feeling of anticipation as you know it is going to hurt.

The last time I took a nose digger on my mtn bike I am sure it was only a fraction of second between everything ok and fark this will hurt but indeed time slowed down - long enough for me to know pain is coming.

charliedid
08-15-2020, 08:42 PM
I was wondering the same. Couldn't tell if he overcooked a curve prior or had his head down and didn't see that the bridge narrowed. All in all sounds like he made out alright, given the circumstances.

My heart went to my stomach when I saw the footage. Same as when Johan Bruyneel went over the cliff in the 96 (I think?) Tour. Scary stuff for sure.

Exactly

https://youtu.be/7YCuQsGVV20

jpw
08-16-2020, 02:56 AM
He went over the wall just after the end of a pedestrian refuge 'indent'. I wonder if the beginning of the indent deceived him? Perhaps he thought that was the beginning of the bridge wall flaring out for its full length. These riders do tend to want to maximise the full width of available road surface on bends and corners, and they leave no margin of error for unforeseen variables.

Toeclips
08-16-2020, 06:42 AM
https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2020/grit-and-charm-when-wim-van-est-plunged-off-the-aubisque-and-koblet-was-king-the-re-cycle_sto7785343/story.shtml

Kind of a long read but it's the story of the Flying Dutchman-Van Est

Toeclips
08-16-2020, 06:58 AM
Found this in my book Legends of the Tour

More on Van Est

Hope Evenepoel is ok

jpw
08-16-2020, 07:50 AM
Found this in my book Legends of the Tour

More on Van Est

Hope Evenepoel is ok

Nice book.

I wonder how it would depict LA?

ultraman6970
08-16-2020, 09:56 AM
When you have accidents like that you dont know what is going on till pretty much you stop rolling. The fraction of a second you know you are screwed, sure he remembers that part and then than suddenly he stopped moving.

That's the scary part, specially if you cant move, making sense of what happened and what happened to you, personally been lucky of flying and descent 70km/h accidents due to my own stupidity.

1st thing i did today was to look for the condition of this kid, i felt happy to read it was only the pelvis. He will come back from this one, medicine now a days is different than 50 or 30 years ago and this kid probably will have the bests in europe to fix him up. He will be back next season, happy for him.

pdmtong
08-16-2020, 11:42 AM
He went over the wall just after the end of a pedestrian refuge 'indent'. I wonder if the beginning of the indent deceived him? Perhaps he thought that was the beginning of the bridge wall flaring out for its full length. These riders do tend to want to maximise the full width of available road surface on bends and corners, and they leave no margin of error for unforeseen variables.

in that youtube clip there's a few seconds where riders coming down that steep left to the bridge are being flagged to take the inside of the turn. you can imagine him on the outside as jpw suggests only to find the road ends that indent.

flying
08-16-2020, 11:44 AM

I think he overcooked it due to Nibali pushing hard on that descent.
Nibali can be a demon on descents

Once overcooked it looked like target fixation as he went in
Just glad he is ok though it sure looked bad initially

m_sasso
08-16-2020, 02:17 PM

Looks like he mis-judged his width distances and hooked a pedal on the corner of the indent.

9tubes
08-16-2020, 07:27 PM
Agreed. He was oddly wide exiting the turn. The TV commentator speculated that maybe he had an ill-timed puncture.

If not a mechanical issue then it's a lesson in why racers (and non-racers) should always make a late apex.

I hope he recovers quickly.

m_sasso
08-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Different view I had not seen, way wide, defiantly trying to slow.
https://www.facebook.com/giuseppe.federico.9047/videos/3442333069130775/

colker
08-16-2020, 09:24 PM

The car stops, some guy hurries and ... takes the bike off the road. Then they leave. No one cares for the racer. The show goes on and the caravan passes by. NOt untill a couple spectators move to help he is left under the bridge. Tough sport.

ultraman6970
08-16-2020, 09:32 PM
Interesting... he clearly goes too wide and clearly u can tell he is pressing the brakes big time. If he got a puncture or something mechanical he has to remember a detail like that but accidents happen.

YEah found weird they left the rider, maybe they were told to do it?

weisan
08-16-2020, 09:44 PM
According to the commentator,

1) Evenepoel had done a recon on the route beforehand

2) He was trying to keep up with Nibali

ultraman6970
08-16-2020, 09:45 PM
Even if you know the road you can make mistakes.

m_sasso
08-16-2020, 10:37 PM
The car stops, some guy hurries and ... takes the bike off the road. Then they leave. No one cares for the racer. The show goes on and the caravan passes by. NOt untill a couple spectators move to help he is left under the bridge. Tough sport.

I am thinking they likely took the correct action. Clearly a narrow road, they in all probability were not qualified medical people, so I am believing there choice to keep the road open for medical people to get too the scene and get on the radio to qualified medical while clearing the zone was their best choice and likely planed procedure to follow in a situation similar to this. Seams corse and cruel but spectators/gawkers can often be a hindrance to first responders.

9tubes
08-16-2020, 11:00 PM

Wow that bridge was narrow. What were the organizers thinking? OTOH, they say his team did a recon prior to the race.

The mantra: late apex, late apex, late apex...

9tubes
08-16-2020, 11:03 PM
Another angle from an Italian Facebook page (a good page to like on FB, btw):

www.facebook.com/giuseppe.federico.9047/videos/3442338329130249

ScottW
08-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Looks like he kissed that wall pretty hard before flipping over it. Lucky if he still has all his teeth and most of his original facial structure. :eek:

weisan
08-20-2020, 12:26 AM
The most "comprehensive" video about the crash to date...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPJ3r_BXL8