PDA

View Full Version : Frankenbike - Austin, Texas

trophyoftexas
02-02-2007, 08:03 AM
I've never been able to time it correctly to attend one of these events. They are held about once a month or every six weeks or so. From the ACA site's pictures they look "smallish but funnish"...anyone on the forum ever attend one of these? If so, any luck selling or finding anything worth buying? Everytime I get a chance to go to the Hill Country area I'm too busy riding to stop and go to it! I was going to try to finish my Merckx build and take it down for a ride and then sell it but I hate to haul it all the way to Austin if the market at these events isn't worth the effort.

greencolo2
02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Frankenbike is truly a "funky" Austin event. I have been going to these on and off for the last year or so. I have been a buyer and a seller and the parts and bikes sold are a hit and miss. There are some high end parts but I have got lucky finding parts for my retro bikes. There is typically beer and music available and they also highlight Austin's smaller bike shops and businesses. Come on by this month at Shoal Creek Saloon and enjoy!

texbike
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I've never been able to time it correctly to attend one of these events. They are held about once a month or every six weeks or so. From the ACA site's pictures they look "smallish but funnish"...anyone on the forum ever attend one of these? If so, any luck selling or finding anything worth buying? Everytime I get a chance to go to the Hill Country area I'm too busy riding to stop and go to it! I was going to try to finish my Merckx build and take it down for a ride and then sell it but I hate to haul it all the way to Austin if the market at these events isn't worth the effort.

Hey Trophy,

How's North Texas treating you? As stated, the Frankenbike events are a ton of fun and you can usually find neat little items there (I bought a nice Nuovo Record front derailleur there this past weekend for $5).

However, it is usually older items that cater to the fixie crowd, BMXers, cruiser crowd, and mountain bikers (with a few higher end road items mixed in). As mentioned, it is very eclectic and an absolute blast, but it isn't a place that I would expect to sell a nice Merckx for its market price. If you are looking to get top dollar for the bike, eBay is the place.

If your goal is to have a couple of pints, hear some good music, see a couple of cute fixie chicks, and dig through old parts (or sell some) then Frankenbike is it. Come on down and check it out.

Cheers,

Texbike

trophyoftexas
02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the info...pretty much what their web site indicates they offer. What time of day do these things start/stop? I'm going to be in Fredericksburg riding the 15th-16-17-18th and possibly 19th and 20th, so it is possible that I could make it over there if the timing is correct. I'm bringing a couple of SS boys down to ride, possibly a 3rd and 4th could be coming, too. They are interested in getting in LOTS of miles during the three days that they will be there, about 250-325 or so and I'm pretty sure they aren't interested in the Austin scene at all. I'm going to ride on Thursday the 15th before they get there. I got a friend down there that I used to work with and she is a rider/runner so she and her husband and I will probably do a 40-60 miler on Thursday, provided that she's not off running in a 1/2 marathon someplace....last time she was in Orlando or somewhere.

How far in advance do they publish the upcoming dates? Helps me to be able to plan 30-60 days in advance...perhaps it will happen during Hellweek and I can make it over there. I've got a bunch of saddles, seat posts, handlebars, hubs....all kinds of $h!} I'd like to try to peddle-off down there....sounds like it would be less profitable than ebay(?) but for sure more fun! And ain't THAT what it's all about?....it sure ain't about the hokey-pokey!

fmbp
02-02-2007, 06:41 PM
can you post a link? I'm in Houston, and this sounds intersting . . .

Thanks

texbike
02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
can you post a link? I'm in Houston, and this sounds intersting . . .

Thanks

www.frankenbike.org

Enjoy!

Texbike

fmbp
02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
www.frankenbike.org

Enjoy!

Texbike

Thanks!