PDA

View Full Version : OT: Amateur Astronomers, hook me up w/ a swanky telescope!

Bob Ross
08-11-2020, 10:31 PM
One of the things the missus and I enjoy perhaps more than anything (well... nudge-nudge) is stargazing. We mostly do it with the naked eye (nudge-nudge, wink-wink...okay, sorry, I'll stop) though on occasion we'll whip out a pair of binoculars. But one of our most memorable stargazing experiences took place ~15 or 20 years ago, when the proprietor of a B&B we were staying at took out his swanky telescope with computerized GPS aiming gizmo, and gave us a tour of the planets.

I have no idea what kind of telescope it was. It was maybe 4 feet long, 4 or 5 inches in diameter. Had a big hefty tripod. The coolest part of the rig was the automated aiming system. I vaguely recall he had a laptop computer hooked up to the thing. He typed in our longitude and latitude, and also (I think?) the date. And then he simply entered "Jupiter" from a drop-down list in the software, and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTT servo motors instantly move the telescope to be aimed directly at Jupiter!

And it was a fabulously clear, up-close view of Jupiter. It took up probably half the field of vision (or whatever it's called). When he dialed in Saturn we got a clear view of the rings, and the space between the rings and the planet. We were able to see the color differences between Mars and Venus explicitly and clearly.

Anyhow... Ms. Thing and I have decided that A) we finally have the wherewithal to procure a similar telescope and aiming thing for our very own entertainment, and B) given the quarantine thing, there's no better time than now to invest in some stargazing apparatus. But we have no idea where to even begin.

What are we looking for? What will get us that same experience we had ~15 or 20 years ago: Vivid clear impressive magnification of the solar system, and a computerized aiming system that takes the guesswork out of planet-hunting?

Hook us up, yo. Thanks.

akelman
08-11-2020, 10:54 PM
Price range? Let me know, and I'll ask a few professional astronomers.

Louis
08-11-2020, 10:58 PM
I don't have a telescope, but sometimes I check out the various online sky maps to see "what's out there." And, of course, they're free, so it's a super-easy way to start. Add some binoculars, and you're good to go.

Most are pretty neat and have lots of interactive features.

Here's one that's I've set to NYC. Click on a object you want to locate and it will tell you where it is. It also gives you some info on how easy it is to spot the various big hitters.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/usa/new-york

Here's another one:

https://skyandtelescope.org/interactive-sky-chart/

gasman
08-11-2020, 11:01 PM
Here's just one article: https://www.space.com/31229-best-beginner-telescopes.html

I know a couple of people that have bought Celestron scopes and been happy with them (wink-wink). Almost all the scopes nowadays can be bought with the software/hardware to focus on whatever you want to view.

I looked into buying a scope about 20 years ago and it's a deep rabbit hole, like bikes, and you can spend a lot of money. Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of money unless you can get to an area with dark skies. You can view plenty in urban areas even with light pollution.

I've been fortunate to look through some nice scopes over the years but I've stuck with my nice birding binoculars for watching the night sky. I got some nice views of comet Neowise last month.

Good luck. Space is cool--about 4 Kelvin

I'm sure there are members here that can give you even better advice.

Louis
08-11-2020, 11:02 PM
Space is cool--about 4 Kelvin

Ha Ha !

Bob Ross
08-12-2020, 07:12 AM
Price range? Let me know, and I'll ask a few professional astronomers.

I don't even know what range we're talking about for what I describe. Is that a $2,000 toy, a $5,000 toy, a $20,000 toy? Let's just say if it were $2k we'd buy one tomorrow, if it were $5k we'd discuss it and then buy one before the end of the year, and if it were $20k we'd probably rethink our hobbies.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of money unless you can get to an area with dark skies.

Yeah, we're basically getting a headstart on our retirement (which is still ~5 years away) when we hope to reside in the middle of nowhere. Right now most of our stargazing is mostly confined to vacations, because living in Manhattan is preventing any meaningful astronomical observations.

cmg
08-12-2020, 08:05 AM
Here's one off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-Observer-Telescope-205005/dp/B01K7IJ1OA/ref=asc_df_B01K7IJ1OA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312066954908&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16371935985285766998&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060401&hvtargid=pla-579010046287&psc=1

seems to have what your looking for. quick google search will produce others.

benb
08-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Step 1 is probably:

- Buy the B&B

Cause it's going to be really hard to have this as a hobby in NYC due to light pollution.

Otherwise (I used to own a telescope years ago):

- Ideally you want a place you can permanently/semi-permanently mount the telescope, otherwise you have to align the mount every time you take it out. The mount needs to be aligned to the earth's axis of rotation.

- You want something reflective IMO, refractive is a disaster at small sizes.

- I would totally go for computer controlled, otherwise you're constantly turning the knob to counter the earth's rotation.

MattTuck
08-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Step 1 is probably:

- Buy the B&B

Cause it's going to be really hard to have this as a hobby in NYC due to light pollution.

I've seen a lot of movies with scenes in NYC apartments, and many have telescopes... few seem to be pointed skyward. just sayin.

josephr
08-12-2020, 09:01 AM
I've seen a lot of movies with scenes in NYC apartments, and many have telescopes... few seem to be pointed skyward. just sayin.

People Watching + Extreme Social Distancing. ;)

computer controlled telescope looks like fun...let us know when you get it and we'll have a viewing party. I'll bring a case of Monkeynaut, a very hoppy IPA.

benb
08-12-2020, 09:28 AM

He said planet hunting...

Everything I wrote can be ignored if neighbor hunting. NO need to align the mount with the earth's axis of rotation, light pollution will be no issue, refractive will be totally fine, no need for computer control at all. :)

I had a refractive manual telescope. It was easy to look at the moon wherever. I sighted Jupiter once with it, but the telescope wasn't big enough to see Jupiter in color, just B&W. I was living in NH at the time. I had to drive out of the city I was in (100k people?) to get away from the light pollution which was nothing compared to a real city.

Then align the mount, since my telescope was not so great the tripod wasn't rock solid. If the mount is off at ALL the controls get messed up and your ability to dial in coordinates from an app gets all screwed up.

Given my setup I remember feeling like it was a big accomplishment to successfully sight on Jupiter. It was B&W, but you could see the spot.

Basically below a certain level of sophistication it's really frustrating. Maybe a good computerized reflective scope you can just punch in the coordinates right on a balcony in NYC and since it aims perfectly for you the light pollution isn't an issue.

I went to the observatory in Cincinatti once right in the middle of the city... if you're talking about a telescope that size you can stick it in the city and still see the moons of the outer planets just fine right in the middle of the light pollution.

akelman
08-12-2020, 09:35 AM
Okay, I got two different answers for options around that price range: a Meade LX 90 ACF or a Celestron NextStart 8SE. The person who recommended the Meade said that the Celestron would also be "fine." The person who recommended the Celestron said that the Meade would also be "excellent."

gomango
08-12-2020, 09:35 AM
What a fun hobby!

We bought an Orion Skyquest XT10 "used" many years ago.

It stays up at our cabin which is on the edge of the BWCA.

The detail of vision is amazing on the scope and is super easy for beginners to use.

Wait till you have a satellite fly through your field of view or if you are lucky, a meteor!

We have moved on to a more expensive full featured Celestron model (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917567-REG/celestron_12031_advancd_vx_8_edge.html/reviews) that has all the bells and whistles, but we still use the XT10 during the summer.

Here is a primer for the beginning astronomer on the Orion website.

https://www.telescope.com/content.jsp?pageName=eCatalog&src=footer1

Hope this helps!

morrisericd
08-12-2020, 01:31 PM
We should change the name of this forum to "I didn't know I needed / wanted that". Terrible enablers, all of us!

MattTuck
08-12-2020, 01:35 PM
People Watching + Extreme Social Distancing. ;)

I do admit I'm curious if this is just a trope in movies and TV, or if it is really something people do. I was on a zoom call earlier in the year with someone in their NYC condo, and there was indeed a telescope in the background... so it has me wondering.

thirdgenbird
08-12-2020, 06:11 PM
My dad was big into astronomy when his heath prevented him from riding.

We had A LOT of product to sell and I’ve been working with a local expert as it’s far past my knowledge. I’m not sure about shipping, but I could connect you with him if wanted. If we have a telescope that fits your needs, I am sure we could offer a very fair price.

rnhood
08-12-2020, 06:23 PM
I have a Televue now, and it's decent, though not great. I grew up with reflectors and they tend to do better with higher mag eyepieces, imho. Celestrons and the like are good scopes for the money. That's probably the direction I would go for a start.

weisan
08-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Perseid meteor shower

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/perseid-meteor-shower-peaks-this-week/

steveoz
08-12-2020, 07:56 PM
talk about a post that hits the "I want one too" button!:banana:

Spinner
08-12-2020, 08:16 PM
I have a pair of Nikko Big Eye Japanese Binoculars that my dad brought home from WWII. With 20 x 3 power, an autumn moon is unbelievable.

Hawker
08-13-2020, 10:54 PM
Here is a great website and forum. I've learned a lot here and for the most part they've been patient and friendly with my newby questions. And there is an equipment section and a Beginners section.

Like this forum, do yourself a favor and do some homework first so you know what you're buying and why. You'll feel really dumb if you end up with a TT bike when what you really needed was a used Hybrid. :)

https://www.cloudynights.com

Peter B
08-13-2020, 11:41 PM
Links from a pal who is a serious stargazer.

https://www.telescope.com/?msclkid=711a857006001824fd43da457d2209cd&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RLSA%20-%20Orion%20Brand%20-%20US&utm_term=orion%20telescopes%20website&utm_content=Orion%20Telescope%20Website%20-%20Exact

https://optcorp.com/blogs/astronomy/telescope-buying-guide

https://astromart.com/

and a repeat from a previous poster:

https://www.cloudynights.com/

mcteague
08-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Many years ago I got into astronomy thinking I might attach a camera to get great photos. I ended up with a Meade 8" Cassegrain. This was before all the computerized gizmos that take care of finding the object of interest. Looking at the moon was fun but finding other objects could be a chore. I also found that clear nights were not that common where I live and were most likely on cold nights.

On top of that, taking photos of nebula and such required long exposures and the scope needs to be guided during the shot. Plus, I'm not much of a night person so the scope got used less and less. After a while I sold it all. When Halle-Bopp came around,in the late 90s, I got a much cheaper 10” Dobsonian. Once again I found I did not have the patience to sit outside at night and use the thing. It was either too cold or too buggy. Now, if I need a star fix I just look at images from the Hubble.

Tim

OtayBW
08-14-2020, 07:31 AM
Good luck. Space is cool--about 4 Kelvin

Ha Ha !
Absolutely! (but not quite...). :rolleyes:

Michael Maddox
08-14-2020, 08:07 AM
This is a huge rabbit hole, as deep as the one we're already in as cyclists. There are more varieties of telescope than there are bikes.

As an active amateur astronomer, I've owned a LOT of scopes, from an 8" Maksutov to a 24" hand-ground Dobsonian "light bucket". Yeah...mirror grinding is a thing you can get into.

I'm currently using a set of 100mm astronomical binoculars on an alt-az mount, sticking with a big lens on my camera for astrophotography.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out telescope.com (used to be Orion Telescopes) for a look at the gamut of products available.

If you want to SEE things, a Dobsonian reflector is going to give to the most bang for the buck, by FAR, but it WILL require you to learn basic navigation around the sky. If you're more interested in local planetary observation and some basic astrophotography, something like a 6" to 8" Cassegrain on a computerized equatorial mount is going to be plug-and-go. You can go CHEAP and good, with something like the Orion StarSeeker line, which are Maksutov-Cassegrain refractors with computer mounts. You're looking at $550 to about $1300, easy. You're going to want more eyepieces. You're going to want to upgrade your finder scope. You're going to want a camera rig, then you're going to want a camera FOR the scope. It's JUST like owning a bike.

Anyway...there's a good buyer's guide on telescope.com and those people are HAPPY to talk with you. They carry good products and they'll keep you from purchasing a telescope-scoped-object. It's one of those hobbies where you can spend as much money as you have, and then some.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. The range of "good" cheap scopes has expanded quite a lot over the past 20 years, so long as you stay off Amazon and department stores and other non-specialty sites.

oldguy00
08-14-2020, 09:22 AM
I owned a Nexstar 8Se for a while. Eventually sold it. Main issue for me, as others have mentioned, is that light pollution is a real killer. And it was a royal pain in the ass to drive an hour+ to find an area to use the telescope, drag said heavy telescope with us, get it setup, star align it so the computer would work properly. Also, the tripods they come with look sturdy but they can shake pretty easy. I think a lot of folks in the hobby recommend upgrading the tripod.

So.....make sure you have an easy spot to go to that won't be light polluted before you sink a ton of money into a scope.

josephr
08-14-2020, 09:15 PM
I do admit I'm curious if this is just a trope in movies and TV, or if it is really something people do. I was on a zoom call earlier in the year with someone in their NYC condo, and there was indeed a telescope in the background... so it has me wondering.

I've never really lived in the downtown area of a major city, so it'd be hard for me to comment anymore than what I've seen in the movies. But with as many apartments and stuff around, i'd guess folks do it more often than they guess. Even without the erotic side, watching people in parks or gathering areas might be entertainment for some? There are people who go to the mall just to watch people walk around.

These telescopes look really cool...but I don't think I could get into it enough to justify the purchase. I'd probably check it out for like a month and then find something else to spring in to. You know what's better than a kick-butt telescope? HAVING A FRIEND with a kick-butt telescope!

merlinmurph
08-15-2020, 08:27 AM
You know what's better than a kick-butt telescope? HAVING A FRIEND with a kick-butt telescope!

Just like boats!