PDA

View Full Version : Portland shops with road shoes?

wildboar
08-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Have a friend looking to get his first pair of real road shoes. What shops would have a good selection to try on in the Portland area or south of the metro area?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

robt57
08-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Maybe pick a brand or two [or 3] and via the web sites of each search the dealers/list here? Or the other Portland in ME as the case may be.

Brands of bike, Trek, Specialized etc. where they should have the shoes there and favor selling them maybe? I can say Specialized shoes are VG for me over the years. I also like Shimano/Lake offerings myself which IMO are worth looking at. Shimano shoes could/should be at good bike shops that sell top brand bikes presumably?

PacNW2Ford
08-11-2020, 08:37 PM
I would recommend Universal Cycles, now in Beaverton, but they're curbside pick up only nowadays. Likewise, River City too.

robt57
08-11-2020, 08:40 PM
So are we talking OR or ME?

Bike Gallery lets customer in for stuff like that, as long as you wear a mask and wait for a limited occupancy threshold, yada.

wildboar
08-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Sorry forgot to say Oregon. I wonder if some of the big places would be open for trying shoes on by appointment. No fun to drop $300+ only to have to send things back and forth to get it right.

robt57
08-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Sorry forgot to say Oregon. I wonder if some of the big places would be open for trying shoes on by appointment. No fun to drop $300+ only to have to send things back and forth to get it right.

I had zero luck with bike gallery with the web resources contact link, and phone attemps, but I did twice just stop by.

Watch for limited hours/open times now. Once went in, and actually today [Westmoreland] they checked for what I wanted to see while I waited outside came out and said not in stock.

So no reason to go in. But being I was asking about a Pro Endurance Domane, my Team Issue Classics I was on being the start of it all basically became a topic for a 10 minute convo.

RoosterCogset
08-12-2020, 07:31 AM

You can probably pre-arrange a purchase of a few pairs (variety of brands or sizes) at a place like Competitive Cyclist with understanding you'll keep just one pair and return the rest. Talk to one of the gearheads or whatever they're called, you can likely get free shipping back of the shoes you don't want to keep.

Otherwise you could hunt thru Amazon for products that have free Prime ship and return.