PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shipping art from Breckenridge to Chicago - looking for recommendations

Irishgirl
08-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Looking for recommendations to ship several large pieces of art. Initially the plan was to load it up in the back of the pickup truck with a water tight cover and now looking into other options.

I found a place called Packmail in Boulder...anyone in the area have experience with Packmail or recommendations for another provider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godfrey1112000
08-11-2020, 04:23 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=shipping+high+quality+art&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

colker
08-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Looking for recommendations to ship several large pieces of art. Initially the plan was to load it up in the back of the pickup truck with a water tight cover and now looking into other options.

I found a place called Packmail in Boulder...anyone in the area have experience with Packmail or recommendations for another provider?

Initial plan is the cheapest plan. In the good way of cheap meaning .. shipping art is freakking expensive.

djg21
08-11-2020, 05:27 PM

I have a friend who owns a really nice gallery in Vail. I can ask him who he recommends if you get stuck. Let me know.

pbarry
08-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Flat art? Framed with glass?

tomato coupe
08-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Did you buy this art from a gallery? If so, let them arrange the shipping. We've done that with some large paintings.

Irishgirl
08-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Thank all for the input...

Some are framed with glass one is on a stretched piece of canvas. They are part of a private collection in a residence so no art gallery was involved.

Hilltopperny
08-11-2020, 05:53 PM
I would look into having it put in a crate and then shipped via some sort of courier service if it is of high value.

livesadventure
08-11-2020, 06:34 PM
You’re going to want to go with a established art handler to ensure proper packing and moving techniques.

The best outcome in terms of good work and affordable price would likely be a pickup in Breckinridge that delivers the work to a Denver—>Chicago shuttle. The Art handling businesses is down these days because most galleries and institutions are not putting on exhibitions. So the more flexible your timeline the better price you can get.

I’d recommend looking up major art handling companies in Denver and Chicago and asking about shuttles between the two cities. The more information you can give about size, medium and insurance value the better. It’s also worth calling some of the bigger LA based companies, they probably have shuttles that pass through those two cities.

Major art handling business are effectively logistics companies so even if they aren’t based in the cities you’re looking to move your artwork to/from , they likely contract out to a reputable business who does. US Art, Ship Art International and Connect Art are three such options.

gbcoupe
08-11-2020, 06:48 PM
If you can safely secure the artwork in the truck bed, I'd go that route. Wrap with extra large heavy duty trash bags and tape. Pick up some blankets at a 2nd hand store for padding if needed.

Less expensive than shipping, and you know where it is the whole time.

mhespenheide
08-11-2020, 08:21 PM
The real questions is (1) what value do you place on the art and (2) how would you feel if it were damaged? If it’s high-enough value and you’d be crushed if it were damaged, you’re looking at high-end art shipping, which is expensive.

Does ding on the size and the value of your time, it may be worth driving it yourself. I’d consider a van or trailer. You’re also probably going to want to consider getting the art crated before moving it; contact local galleries for their recommendations.

If it’s not super-valuable and you wouldn’t be 100% crushed if it were damaged, I’d either move it in the back of the pickup or get it crates and put it in the back of a POD or the like. At least that way you’re packing it yourself.

(I’m a photographer and have sold/shipped/moved some large pieces, but nothing in the $10k or more range.)