PDA

View Full Version : War in Lubbock

wtex
02-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I think one of his Opportunity Rocks caught me. The trails are fun and all, but not exactly Arctic Tundra . . .

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/020107/upd_020107377.shtml

Man faces assault charges in war against bicyclists
BY JASON WOMACK
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A man who police say used wires, broken bottles and nails to wage an ecoterrorism campaign against Lubbock cyclists could spend time in prison.

David G. Knape, 62, of Lubbock, staged at least a year-long campaign against unsuspecting cyclists, according to police reports. He stretched wires between trees at "neck level" and put nails and glass in the pathway of cyclists.

"This could kill someone," Dewayne Wallace, an avid cyclist whose friend was flung from his bicycle and cut across the neck by one of the wires.

Wallace spent months looking for Knape, who now faces two felony charges of attempted aggravated assault with a weapon.

Each count is a third degree felony, carrying a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Detective Rene Martinez questioned Knape about the traps placed along the mountain biking trails, just east of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and along Canyon Lake No. 6.

The trails are used by families and joggers and are designated for biking. Amateur and experienced riders frequent the paths.

Knape told the detective he was only trying to protect the environment.

"He just loves nature," Martinez said.

Phone calls placed to Knape went unanswered.

Cyclists did not always have a name to connect to the traps found along the trails. But many knew of the hazards and would even warn each other on internet message boards.

"There were numerous traps along the trails, including wire strung between trees and chest/neck level," according to a March 26, 2006 posting on the Caprock Multi-Sport Club Forum. "Be careful out there."

Lubbock Police Capt. Lance Slack, who also rides a bike, said cyclists need to warn each other, but they also need to notify authorities, particularly when people can be seriously injured

"People have been seriously hurt or killed just because they are cyclists," he said.

Wallace said he tracked Knape for about 6 months. He photographed the wires and footprints. He then turned it all over to police.

At first, he suspected a teenagers, but whoever was setting these traps was "too energetic," he said.

Large rocks had been pushed into the trail and wires that cyclists had taken down would reappear. Whoever was setting the traps was just too persistent.

"I was memorizing his pattern," Wallace said. "We were not out to beat him up or kill him. We just wanted him to stop."

Wallace caught Knape during an afternoon bike ride in November.

Knape was tying a wire to a tree, according to reports.

In statements to police, Knape said he was trying to protect area wildlife.

"He was trying to protect something we care about too," Wallace said. "I care about nature. That's why I ride a bike.

A Lubbock County grand jury is scheduled to review Knape's case next week.

To comment on this story:

jason.womack@lubbockonline.com 766-870

Bill Bove
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
A guy was doing that up in Flagstaff, AZ too.

Knape say that he loves nature, eh? What he's not saying is that he hates people. Hate motivated his actions, not love.

Be carefull out there.

Love more, hate less. Sometimes I have to remind myself.

Serpico
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
what a tool

RIHans
02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Close by M L King Blvd...Any connection to that cracker?

wtex
02-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, that's an interesting topic in itself.

The trails/parks are located in East Lubbock, which is primarily minority. But the trails are mostly used by Anglo and Hispanic males, big surprise huh?

I doubt that race factored in, more likely just the anti-cyclist sentiment that is all too prevalent.

inGobwetrust
02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
An example needs to be set. This son of a b!tch needs to do serious time.

Archibald
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Bove]A guy was doing that up in Flagstaff, AZ too.

Knape say that he loves nature, eh? What he's not saying is that he hates people. Hate motivated his actions, not love. QUOTE]
Biker #1: Did anybody tell you that this is the private club of the Satan's Helpers?

Pee-wee: Nobody hipped me to that, dude.

Biker #2: I say we kill him!

Biker Gang: [shouts] Yeah!

Biker #3: I say we hang him, then we kill him!

Biker #4: I say we scalp him!

Biker #4: Then we tattoo him!

Biker #4: Then we hang him!

Biker #4: And then we kill him!

Pee-wee: [trying to throw voice without moving lips] I say we let him go.

Biker Gang: [shouts] No!

Biker Mama: [whistles] I say you let me have him first

Biker Gang: Yeah!