PDA

View Full Version : Mech Question: Cranks spin while freewheeling?

msl819
08-11-2020, 09:59 AM
I don’t know that it is a huge deal but I had my bike in the stand and noticed that then I handspun the cranks and stopped they wanted to keep spinning. My guess is that is due to the freewheel not spinning as freely as it should and it drag is causing the chain and this the cranks to spin. Any ideas? I doubt I would notice in the bike but figured I would ask. The hubs are DT 240s.

jtakeda
08-11-2020, 10:05 AM
You nailed it. Free hub needs to be cleaned

unterhausen
08-11-2020, 10:19 AM
good news is it's incredibly easy to service a DT freehub

cinema
08-11-2020, 10:38 AM
i use a thick bearing grease on the engagement in my 240s hubs and they have always done this. i prefer the quieter sound. There is some drag in the stand which is not noticeable to me, or my strava times, on the road.

msl819
08-11-2020, 10:59 AM
i use a thick bearing grease on the engagement in my 240s hubs and they have always done this. i prefer the quieter sound. There is some drag in the stand which is not noticeable to me, or my strava times, on the road.

Thanks... I was looking at videos online and they recommend the DT Swiss special grease. It sounds like you would say that other types of grease are fine as well. How big of a deal is the DT grease?

Ralph
08-11-2020, 11:30 AM
On my Campy Zonda hubs....after a repack with Lucas white grease.....if I put it back together with the bearing adjustment on the slightly tight side.....it does that. So I always adjust it loose enough after a repack to not do that....and then after a ride....adjust the bearings again like I want them....no play....and it doesn't do that any more. And I also use the white grease on the cassette. (Florida...warm climate...not worried about grease gumming it up in cold weather)

Hilltopperny
08-11-2020, 11:32 AM
I had this happen when I installed a new cassette and forgot to put the spacer on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinema
08-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Thanks... I was looking at videos online and they recommend the DT Swiss special grease. It sounds like you would say that other types of grease are fine as well. How big of a deal is the DT grease?

i think people recommend grease even thinner than that. the bearings are sealed, all you're doing is lubing the ratchets. most would advise against my wrenching here but i use a huge glob of phils waterproof grease on the ratchets because i don't like hearing them scream for 3 hours. i'm sure i'm losing a few watts but i'm not lance and this is not advised by dt so don't follow my advice, just sayin my cranks do it too i assumed it's cause i pack the ratchets heavily. it will coast just fine if i hold the pedals but will spin the cranks at very slow relative rpm if i let go.

unterhausen
08-12-2020, 10:29 AM
I happen to hate it when my freewheel doesn't freewheel and I don't think DT hubs make much noise. I used the lightest grease have, which is Slick Honey. Probably should go in and grease the one DT hub I have