PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Anthem Stainless Steel Bikes...Anyone Familiar With These?

XXtwindad
08-10-2020, 07:47 PM
For some reason, eBay sent me a notice on them. I'd never heard of them. They look great, and evidently are popular with the WW crowd, if you believe the ads. I don't need another bike, and I've already contacted a builder about stainless, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight. Evidently a Brooklyn based company.

https://bikerumor.com/2020/05/05/wow-this-6-58kg-affinity-anthem-sl-af-weight-weenie-road-bike-proves-steel-is-real/

https://affinitycycles.com/shop/anthem-frameset

mdeth1313
08-10-2020, 07:53 PM
This is not particularly popular with the WW crowd. There's one thread at the WW website and many of the comments refer to how heavy the frame must be.

Might be a nice frame, but it's a pig (at least from the WW perspective). I think bikerumor/anthem is trying to sell it that way.

Hilltopperny
08-10-2020, 08:04 PM
There is one of these at my local bike shop. They are building it up with etap axs some time this week. It looks pretty nice from what I can see, but I do not have a ton of knowledge about the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBAUMANN
08-10-2020, 08:13 PM
The company has been around for probably close to a decade, started out making track/fixed gear frames. All US-designed/Asian-made. I owned one (a lo-pro) back in 2010-ish and an alloy track frame (whose model name escapes me) briefly. They were both well made frames from a craftsmanship standpoint, no issues, nice enough welds. Not sure where things stand these days but for the right price/tubing its worth a look.

zzy
08-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Affinity is/was a track bike oriented bike shop in Brooklyn that went under and transitioned to branding and online sales. All they've ever done is slap their logos on Chinese stuff. And I can't imagine that listed geometry works for most riders with that kind of money who don't want a custom (biggest HT is 155mm??).

bitpuddle
08-11-2020, 06:20 AM
They were showing the frames long before they were available, so what I saw back then wasn’t the production version. But they looked nice in person. Seemed well-executed and the finish was good.

I agree that the geometry is a little unusual. Quite low and a big jump between M and L. I also wonder if the listed stack/reach numbers are correct. A 150mm head tube with a 370mm fork seems like it should be higher.

AngryScientist
08-11-2020, 06:24 AM
i dont know anything about the company, but that bike posted in the OP looks very well proportioned and i always appreciate the aesthetics of a level TT. Looks good to me.

colker
08-11-2020, 06:35 AM
Four sizes?

Clancy
08-11-2020, 07:02 AM
A stainless steel frameset using double butted tubing and includes a carbon fork for $1,750 certainly seems to be a smokin’ deal. Sizes are limited and it looks to be low and lean geometry. But if one of these were to fit, certainly seems like a cheap way to get into a nice frame.

Makes me wonder how much it costs to get frames fabricated in the Far East?

Also makes me wonder why no one has started a company selling high end stainless steel frames like this but using a model like Hunt Wheels, where customers place orders ahead of manufacturing.

There isn’t a size I could come close to fitting but in the end, more bikes being sold, never a bad thing.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2020, 07:18 AM
A stainless steel frameset using double butted tubing and includes a carbon fork for $1,750 certainly seems to be a smokin’ deal. Sizes are limited and it looks to be low and lean geometry. But if one of these were to fit, certainly seems like a cheap way to get into a nice frame.

Also makes me wonder why no one has started a company selling high end stainless steel frames like this but using a model like Hunt Wheels, where customers place orders ahead of manufacturing.

There isn’t a size I could come close to fitting but in the end, more bikes being sold, never a bad thing.

Less than the US or Europe..

Waterford has been doing that for a 'while'...

prototoast
08-11-2020, 08:56 AM
I've got nothing against outsourced metal frames, but the geometry on these just seems to be poorly thought out. In addition to the relatively short head tubes, which may not work for everyone, the frames also use the same seat and head angles for every size. They just don't seem to be super well thought out, and for less thab the price of a frame set from them, there are a number of Asian manufacturers who will build custom titanium.

jojobos
08-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Anyone here ever heard a movie called "Premium Rush"?? can't stop don't want to :D:D

https://theradavist.com/2012/08/affinity-premium-rush-bikes/

colker
08-11-2020, 12:08 PM

Stainless is... steel. You can buy a new De Rosa Neo Primato frame for 2k give or take and chose between ... 10 sizes?

colker
08-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Anyone here ever heard a movie called "Premium Rush"?? can't stop don't want to :D:D

https://theradavist.com/2012/08/affinity-premium-rush-bikes/

I saw it. Did anyone like that movie?

R3awak3n
08-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Affinity is/was a track bike oriented bike shop in Brooklyn that went under and transitioned to branding and online sales. All they've ever done is slap their logos on Chinese stuff. And I can't imagine that listed geometry works for most riders with that kind of money who don't want a custom (biggest HT is 155mm??).

You not gonna get a SS custom bike for $1750.

As far as geo goes, that is on the short side for a 57.5 bike but its not unheard of. They just dont have big sizes thats all

colker
08-11-2020, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=257&v=7B5usoD7luw&feature=emb_logo