PDA

View Full Version : Fair price

citycyclist247
08-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Hello all, came across a ti Seven build with horizontal dropouts for fixed gear/singlespeed. The parts seem so so. If i did buy it I’d likely sell them as I have many parts I’d need already. What would you say is a fair price for this? Thanks in advance.

duff_duffy
08-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Sometimes the rare bikes are tough to price out. I’d say fair around 1500. Of course, since there are few out there if you might need to go much higher! My last single speed Seven took a long time to sell and think I got 1700 if I recall, my market was small as I would not ship.

AngryScientist
08-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Sometimes the rare bikes are tough to price out. I’d say fair around 1500. Of course, since there are few out there if you might need to go much higher! My last single speed Seven took a long time to sell and think I got 1700 if I recall, my market was small as I would not ship.

you're nuts. the "fixie" craze is long dead. that's maybe a 600 dollar bike. maybe.

IMO

tuscanyswe
08-10-2020, 11:35 AM
Is it 120 or 130 rear spacing?

600 bux? Its u who are nuts dear sir.

I think the fork sells for 250 alone and the frame likely 800-1000 if u maxed out and then some parts on top of that.

Is that a moots stem i spy? Heck even the spacer stack is only a couple a cm short of 100 bux lol .)

I think if that fits u and u want it and u can have it for something like a 1000 u would easily get yr money back if u changed yr mind but ive been wrong before tho .)

bicycletricycle
08-10-2020, 11:37 AM
is that a ti fork? I think the rigth person would pay 1k for such a bike but if the seller wants to get rid of it quickly than maybe $700

jtakeda
08-10-2020, 11:38 AM
you're nuts. the "fixie" craze is long dead. that's maybe a 600 dollar bike. maybe.

IMO

I think he could easily get 1000

AngryScientist
08-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Is it 120 or 130 rear spacing?

600 bux? Its u who are nuts dear sir.

I think the fork sells for 250 alone and the frame likely 800-1000 if u maxed out and then some parts on top of that.

Is that a moots stem i spy? Heck even the spacer stack is only a couple a cm short of 100 bux lol .)

I think if that fits u and u want it and u can have it for something like a 1000 u would easily get yr money back if u changed yr mind but ive been wrong before tho .)

the problem is, no one wants single speed/fixed bikes any more. yes, it has some interesting parts on it, but at the end of the day, it's an old bike, probably only takes skinny tires on those ancient skinny rims.

bikes like this were very popular for a while, and i can see someone spent some good money building this one up, but there are not too many people wanting to drop 4 figures on something like this anymore.

but!

all is takes is one person to change the market value!

jtakeda
08-10-2020, 11:44 AM
the problem is, no one wants single speed/fixed bikes any more. yes, it has some interesting parts on it, but at the end of the day, it's an old bike, probably only takes skinny tires on those ancient skinny rims.

bikes like this were very popular for a while, and i can see someone spent some good money building this one up, but there are not too many people wanting to drop 4 figures on something like this anymore.

but!

Yes the singlespeed/fixed market has declined, but I challenge you to count how many Titanium horizontal dropout frames (not sliding or rocker dropouts) youve seen for sale.

I bet its less than 10. Titanium singlespeed is the ultimate all weather/ low maintenance--if youre going to do fixed/singlespeed Ti is the material

AngryScientist
08-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Yes the singlespeed/fixed market has declined, but I challenge you to count how many Titanium horizontal dropout frames (not sliding or rocker dropouts) youve seen for sale.

I bet its less than 10. Titanium singlespeed is the ultimate all weather/ low maintenance--if youre going to do fixed/singlespeed Ti is the material

probably. i own one too:)

i dont disagree with you. i'm just giving my opinion if the OP is looking to buy that rig what i would be willing to pay for it.

the seller will have to weigh what it is worth to them. that would include how fast they want to sell it, what they have into it, and what they envision the market to be.

tuscanyswe
08-10-2020, 11:47 AM

but!

Thats true. Id pay a 1000 for that in my size tho, just a few tweaks and it would look awesome and likely ride great.

I still ride 23-25mm tires on "race bikes". I prefer it to 28s for those bikes. I like my 38s tho as they give me a very different experience but for that race bike feel i dont prefer semi fat tires. I realize im not the majority but im not alone either. Thats why we have more than 1 bike .)

Pegoready
08-10-2020, 12:09 PM
If you're selling, I'd say try and get over $1000 for it.

If you're buying, buy for as low as possible ;)

The frame/fork/Paul brake alone are worth $1000. I'm biased because I still love fixies and will pay a premium for them. The Black Sheep fork is cool as hell.

I can't tell about those wheels, but they look like Phil Hubs? In that case it's worth over $1000 easily.

Pegoready
08-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Also, that stem looks to be a Moots and based on the shim on that bar, it looks like a Ti bar. Maybe a Black Sheep? Lots of cool bits.

adrien
08-10-2020, 12:28 PM
My gut, before reading the responses, was $1,000 to $1,200.

At $1,000 you've got a deal with money in sellable parts without crossing a psychological threshold.

It likely cost 3 times that.

happycampyer
08-10-2020, 12:30 PM

I bet its less than 10. Titanium singlespeed is the ultimate all weather/ low maintenance--if youre going to do fixed/singlespeed Ti is the materialEven fewer of these:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5dTwtvX/0/042fa462/L/i-5dTwtvX-L.jpg

What size frame it is? It looks tiny.

buddybikes
08-10-2020, 12:32 PM
What has replaced fixie's...ebikes? I see them regularly on the bike trail

tuscanyswe
08-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Even fewer of these:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5dTwtvX/0/042fa462/L/i-5dTwtvX-L.jpg

What size frame it is? It looks tiny.

Thats yr serotta i presume? I dont recall that was a 130mm spacing frame right?

I sold this for 3k granted that was quite a while ago.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6155621349_51490c6f86_b.jpg

gomango
08-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Not here in the Twin Cities.

While I see ebikes ($$$$) constantly, I still see loads of cheap converted single speeds and fixies around the universities and paths in STP and Mpls.

Heck, I still ride my CSI. It has a flip flop Phil hub. It's flat as a pancake here in the metro unless you are riding in and out of the river valleys and the CSI is super handy for errands and the occasional commute.

guyintense
08-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Also, that stem looks to be a Moots and based on the shim on that bar, it looks like a Ti bar. Maybe a Black Sheep? Lots of cool bits.

And a Syncros Ti post.

duff_duffy
08-10-2020, 01:20 PM
As I mentioned I sold a similar Seven for about 1700 around year ago. Just a data point. This has titanium stem and seatpost from what I can tell, assuming average wheelset that is on par with mine. Mine took a while to sell and listed it lower and higher than I finally got for it. As with all of the rarer custom bikes it just takes one person to want it and typically they will overpay if they want it as there won’t be another like it. The guy that bought mine had bought a similar Seven road bike off me and wanted to match it. $600 is crazy low, however if seller has no patience, needs cash quick or on flip side is so rich money does not matter, or stole the bike they might consider the offer. If I were buying, I might start negotiating there but that’s not a fair price which OP asked about.

IMO

retropean
08-10-2020, 02:23 PM

Gravel bikes

tctyres
08-10-2020, 02:45 PM
If you're selling, I'd say try and get over $1000 for it.

If you're buying, buy for as low as possible ;)

The frame/fork/Paul brake alone are worth $1000. I'm biased because I still love fixies and will pay a premium for them. The Black Sheep fork is cool as hell.

I can't tell about those wheels, but they look like Phil Hubs? In that case it's worth over $1000 easily.

This. Someone knew exactly what they were building up with that bike. The chain and what looks like an extralite crankset or predecessor are worth some coin, too.

mcfarton
08-10-2020, 07:42 PM
That looks like a smaller frame. It seems like outside of 54-56cm frames bikes sell for less. It has some cool parts on it but I would be shocked to see it get 1000 around here. It’s a niche market and looks like an odd size. I like it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overmyhead
08-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Based on the way he or she built it up I would be surprised if you could low ball on the initial offer. That $1000 figure seems the top end for me. I built and rode my fixie before, throughout and after the “craze” and continue to do so. I love the subtlety and simplicity of it and respect it as a discipline. That all being said, I wouldn’t drop a ton of money on one myself. Decide what your high end is and try to get a figure from the seller. If it’s beyond your cut off, walk away.

AngryScientist
08-18-2020, 01:48 PM
well??

did anything happen here? deal closed? i'm interested to hear what happened??

joosttx
08-18-2020, 01:52 PM

Unovis
08-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Nice bike, but something about it looks really awkward.

ColonelJLloyd
08-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Anyone else find it irritating that people refer to track ends as horizontal dropouts?

tctyres
08-18-2020, 02:21 PM
Anyone else find it irritating that people refer to track ends as horizontal dropouts?

Yes.

But I also don't have time to be the dropout police.

ColonelJLloyd
08-18-2020, 02:36 PM
But I also don't have time to be the dropout police.

We wouldn't have you anyway.

AngryScientist
08-20-2020, 06:52 PM
Since the OP couldnt be bothered for give us some feedback on what happened after he asked for advice, at least we get to watch and see what happens for ourselves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seven-Titanium-Fixie-Track-52-Frame-Bike-/224125492445?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Monsieur Toast
08-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Since the OP couldnt be bothered for give us some feedback on what happened after he asked for advice, at least we get to watch and see what happens for ourselves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seven-Titanium-Fixie-Track-52-Frame-Bike-/224125492445?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Spicy!

Not sure who told them $2,680 BIN (w/ shipping), but ... GLWS?

tctyres
08-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Seller has a boneshaker for sale that is pretty cool and seems to be priced well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224124353053

tctyres
08-20-2020, 07:39 PM
We wouldn't have you anyway.

Seller has a boneshaker for sale that is pretty cool and seems to be priced well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224124353053

Colonel, this one may be your speed.:p:D

ColonelJLloyd
08-20-2020, 08:51 PM
Colonel, this one may be your speed.:p:D

Saddle setback is all wrong for me and that's a dangerously low spoke count wheel.

jlwdm
08-21-2020, 10:38 AM
Awful lot of responses on this thread before knowing size.

Jeff