PDA

View Full Version : I think I’ve just rationalized my next bike

Coffee Rider
08-09-2020, 11:57 PM
This involves unloading what was once my favorite bike that’s not getting used much, selling a frame back to the person I bought it from since he wants to buy it back and it’s custom to him, as well as selling the car the my wife hates and wants me to not spend more money on. I’m hoping this and realizations about who I now am as a rider will motivate me to get rid of some other nice stuff that’s not getting a lot of use and can be replaced with items that are more suited to who I am today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T
08-10-2020, 12:19 AM
This involves unloading what was once my favorite bike that’s not getting used much, selling a frame back to the person I bought it from since he wants to buy it back and it’s custom to him, as well as selling the car the my wife hates and wants me to not spend more money on. I’m hoping this and realizations about who I now am as a rider will motivate me to get rid of some other nice stuff that’s not getting a lot of use and can be replaced with items that are more suited to who I am today.

The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.

weisan
08-10-2020, 02:49 AM
Do it!

Yesterday.

retropean
08-10-2020, 04:36 AM
Simplify and be happy.

That said, how much more is the new bike compared to the proceeds of the sale from the old bike, PLUS car, PLUS other stuff?

saab2000
08-10-2020, 04:40 AM
This is very true.

The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.

Coffee Rider
08-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Simplify and be happy.

That said, how much more is the new bike compared to the proceeds of the sale from the old bike, PLUS car, PLUS other stuff?

This isn't entirely simplifying, but it is a reallocation of resources and focusing on only the tangible objects that will bring me the most joy. Of course, with bikes, it's not just an object, but something you use as part of having a good time either by yourself or with friends. I think the Parlee Z1 (selling complete) and car will cover the cost of the frame. It's easier to let go of the car if feel like it's going for a purpose. My wife has wanted the car gone for a while anyway and not so lovingly refers to it as a P.O.S. It's my P.O.S. though :banana:

Veloo
08-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Makes total sense to me.

Getting rid of stuff that isn't being used anymore. Gaining space back. Getting some money for it. Others will enjoy what you're offloading.

Get something you'll now use and enjoy.

Win, win, win.

ciclista_tifoso
08-10-2020, 12:21 PM

So what type of bike are you aiming to get if/when you successfully complete these transactions?

Coffee Rider
08-10-2020, 12:34 PM

So what type of bike are you aiming to get if/when you successfully complete these transactions?

It's looking like Firefly Carbon/Ti disc. Excluding steel, which I'm working on getting covered, the two bikes I find most appealing are Firefly and Crumpton. There are lots and lots of other bikes that I appreciate and find appealing, but these are what I find most exciting. I've definitely gone down many rabbit holes as a result of my relatively new focus on custom bikes. I understand most of this is pretty arbitrary anyway.

robt57
08-10-2020, 12:34 PM

But still painful, ;) I'd argue you [Dan] are an absolute expert at this operation from all I have observed...

I actually have a queue order for this operation. ;)

Yet my 1985 SLX Nago in Saronni colorway, sold in 2015 is back here since 2018. Moral of that story is be careful what you let fly. ;O

BlueFly
08-10-2020, 03:40 PM
The more love you give, the more love you get!

YMMV. :)

Spaghetti Legs
08-10-2020, 04:50 PM
I’ve always rationalized my next bike by counting on the cash I’ll get from selling one of my bikes and then not selling it. On the rare occasion I’ve sold a bike or frame, I’m pretty sure I used that cash number to discount the price of the next 2 or three bikes.

I think a key is to not ride a nice bike if you want to sell it.

MoparPorsche
08-10-2020, 05:19 PM
I’ve always rationalized my next bike by counting on the cash I’ll get from selling one of my bikes and then not selling it. On the rare occasion I’ve sold a bike or frame, I’m pretty sure I used that cash number to discount the price of the next 2 or three bikes.

I think a key is to not ride a nice bike if you want to sell it.

So true, if you ride that nice bike after you have targeted to sell it, you always question selling it, and in most cases do not.

thirdgenbird
08-10-2020, 05:30 PM

I live by letting go of things that don’t get use or bring joy. My 2020 bike upgrades were in the black after selling off parts.

Now I i have to figure out how to rationalize a pair of Lightweight wheels that I know I don’t need :)

robertbb
08-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Funny you should say this, and in particular make reference to who you are as a rider (and person) today, and how that is reflected in your equipment.

I've solely been into road bikes and fast rides (group or solo) for as long as I've been into riding - some 15 years now. I'm 39 and midway through last year I bought a flatbar commuter bike with clearance for 40mm tyres and v-brakes... and had an "ah ha" moment. It fit me waaayy better than any bike I've ridden, was a joy to ride, and has ultimately been the catalyst for a complete rethink about both the tempo and terrain I ride. I love packing a light lunch and coffee setup and rolling along at 3/4 pace. I don't speed up to the wheel of a rider if I get passed. I don't wear a heart rate monitor anymore...

I imagine I'm not the first to go through this transition. Maybe a different topic/thread... but I liken it to "growing up".

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

Like, when one stops reading weightweenies forum and starts frequenting this one instead... you just know something has changed and can never be the same again.

Good luck with your re-think, hope you end up with something that suits you perfectly.

RWL2222
08-10-2020, 08:47 PM
The OP has surfaced a (bike)life skill which I have found myself oddly lacking at the moment, particularly in the context of maintaining domestic tranquility during the lockdown and our first heading off to college in two weeks. I simply want a modern bike--what could be more clear than that? But it's been immediately apparent that more subtlety and strategy are required. I would appeal to safety as paramount (bigger tires! full suspension!) but am still hiding the new Garmin 1030/Varia setup, which blew a good chunk of any would-be budget.

I resolve for spousal rationalization to be one skill which I improve upon in 2020 and I appreciate the strategy guidance offered in this thread. (That and bartering garage space just down the street.) ;)

Hilltopperny
08-10-2020, 09:05 PM
I significantly downsized my bike collection this year. This week alone I sold off the excess wheels, a bike and multiple other bike related goods in order to fund a brand new bike that I ordered at the end of July. Luckily my wife is cool with my bike buying and never really gets too concerned as long as they don’t start overtaking our living space!

It felt good to move along some of the excess and put the funds back in to another bike. I think moving things that aren’t being used in order to get something you will use is a smart and fulfilling thing to do.

Coffee Rider
08-10-2020, 09:44 PM
The OP has surfaced a (bike)life skill which I have found myself oddly lacking at the moment, particularly in the context of maintaining domestic tranquility during the lockdown and our first heading off to college in two weeks. I simply want a modern bike--what could be more clear than that? But it's been immediately apparent that more subtlety and strategy are required. I would appeal to safety as paramount (bigger tires! full suspension!) but am still hiding the new Garmin 1030/Varia setup, which blew a good chunk of any would-be budget.

I resolve for spousal rationalization to be one skill which I improve upon in 2020 and I appreciate the strategy guidance offered in this thread. (That and bartering garage space just down the street.) ;)

One spousal question I get is how this one is really different from the ones I already have. It's a good question and actually makes me think even more about what I get. I won't get something just because it's a nice bike, but there's got to be something compelling about it. I suppose that's also why my taste in bikes has gotten very picky. There are plenty of great bikes out, but very few that really excite me. Maybe it's just that bikes are my bling.

Coffee Rider
08-11-2020, 02:05 AM
I’ve managed to identify two more bikes to unload in the future as part of the reallocation, bringing me now to three really nice bikes to unload.

Everything that will stay will have something special about it, though on some cases it will be about a connection to the past through bikes I’ve had for a long time or from a defunct builder out of New York.

R3awak3n
08-11-2020, 05:43 AM
I sometimes thought, if I was single I would have like 30 bikes but recently started to realize the reason I only have 4 (and trying to sell one now and just have 3) is that when I have something that is not getting use it gives me extreme anxiety. I just hate to have something that expensive just sitting there... It feels good to downsize

weisan
08-11-2020, 05:58 AM
.https://themindsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/07/bruce-lee-be-like-water.jpg

MoparPorsche
08-11-2020, 06:36 AM
I live by letting go of things that don’t get use or bring joy. My 2020 bike upgrades were in the black after selling off parts.

Now I i have to figure out how to rationalize a pair of Lightweight wheels that I know I don’t need :)

Not to worry, the Lightweight purchase will take you to the red:)

C40_guy
08-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Wait, you're supposed to rationalize your next bike?

Wouldn't that take time away from shopping, bidding, building, riding... :)

C40_guy
08-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Like, when one stops reading weightweenies forum and starts frequenting this one instead... you just know something has changed and can never be the same again.

I've had one or more Italian or British racing bikes since 1972...have always considered myself, at my core, a cyclist and a roadie.

But...

I just added up my mileage to date this year.

325 miles running
40 miles cycling

All on gravel or single track.

Something changed. Not sure what. Maybe I've developed an irrational fear of distracted drivers. Maybe I'm just really enjoying running, which I started in earnest five years ago, and trail running more recently...

Maybe I'm finally getting over my equipment consumption addiction.

IDK

Just weird to be posting this on a cycling forum...

OtayBW
08-11-2020, 08:56 AM
The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.- OR - Could it be just a ruse to avoid intimacy issues and fear of comittment to that one, special...er...bicycle?? :D
Oops! ;)