PDA

View Full Version : Drivers have been really bad lately

R3awak3n
08-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Maybe its just in upstate NY but Covid has got people acting like A-holes. It has been really bad up here in the past 2 months. I would maybe once a month get someone who would brush by me but now it is every ride. Today I had someone not only do that but honk right as he was next to me, a truck with a huge trailer. Yesterday I had a few people as well and the worst of all was about a few weeks ago when the car slowed down next to me and someone got out of the rear window and either was trying to push me of the road or just give me a push.... regardless, I was pissed, dont ****ing touch me.

I am glad for the Garmin Varia because very single time any of this crap has happened I knew there was someone there so I did not get spooked. Very disappointed in humanity lately....

I have to say, I have been seeing a lot of plates from other states and a couple of the cars that brushed my were NJ but have had everything. I think its either people from out of town but I also think the townies hate cyclists now because they thing we are out of towners with our Lycra and fancy bikes. Can't win.

Might have to cool it on the road rides for a minute, just too many close calls. Usually this is on busier roads, i try to avoid those but sometimes you need to be on them to connect routes.

kppolich
08-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Opposite effect here, everyone seems a bit nicer behind the wheel. Must be a NY thing.

CMiller
08-09-2020, 06:59 PM
It’s awful here in the Bay Area too. I’m sticking to dirt, and driving to trails even if they’re close.

Stay safe!

CNY rider
08-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Maybe its just in upstate NY but Covid has got people acting like A-holes. It has been really bad up here in the past 2 months. I would maybe once a month get someone who would brush by me but now it is every ride. Today I had someone not only do that but honk right as he was next to me, a truck with a huge trailer. Yesterday I had a few people as well and the worst of all was about a few weeks ago when the car slowed down next to me and someone got out of the rear window and either was trying to push me of the road or just give me a push.... regardless, I was pissed, dont ****ing touch me.

I am glad for the Garmin Varia because very single time any of this crap has happened I knew there was someone there so I did not get spooked. Very disappointed in humanity lately....

I have to say, I have been seeing a lot of plates from other states and a couple of the cars that brushed my were NJ but have had everything. I think its either people from out of town but I also think the townies hate cyclists now because they thing we are out of towners with our Lycra and fancy bikes. Can't win.

Might have to cool it on the road rides for a minute, just too many close calls. Usually this is on busier roads, i try to avoid those but sometimes you need to be on them to connect routes.

Hang in there man and stay safe.
Tourism will be winding down in a month.

Hilltopperny
08-09-2020, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear this Paulo. Might have to do with city folks moving to the Catskills and the fact that people are more on edge since March. Mental health is really on the decline since all of this. All that being said if you want to head up this way for a nice 50 miler some time you are more than welcome! Pine lake to Piseco lake loop in the Adirondacks is a nice scenic ride. It is still nice and quiet on the roads up here the majority of the time and the traffic is still comparatively very low from where you are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
08-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Just picked up a friend and took him to the hospital after being buzzed and run off the road. He busted up his chin real bad, six stitches. I am texting him waiting to pick him up. Doctors say there have been a lot of car bike accidents of late.

AngryScientist
08-09-2020, 07:21 PM
that's unfortunate, because the nature of the most excellent riding roads in the catskills is that they are narrow and no shoulders. generally no problem, but if you get the wrong guy who is in a hurry and has bad road manners, it could be trouble.

happy to report i ride 67 miles of blissful catskills roads today and saw few cars, the ones i did were very respectful and chill. wide berths, no worries.

sometimes, i do seriously wonder as cars and suv's have gotten bigger and bigger if some drivers even really understand how wide they are. i believe a lot of drivers do not really fully appreciate how wide their cars are and how close is TOO close to pass someone on the road, especially at high speed.

yinzerniner
08-09-2020, 07:23 PM

At least in the tri-state area the ratio of asswipe drivers has increased twofold since Covid hit and that's saying a lot.

Lots of people are on edge and mental health being affected also increases irritability, but the fact of the matter is that with decreased regular traffic the morons feel it's easier to get away with being a douche canoe than before, and they're right.

Driving after about 11pm is the worst - I've witnessed at least six different road racing accidents in the past month. None big enough to cause a Fast and Furious-style disaster, but plenty of lost mirrors, destroyed bumpers, broken glass and people ridden off the road.

Stay safe out there people.

tiretrax
08-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Dallas went from being one of the worst places to ride a bike to an ok place due to the construction of many miles of rails to trails. Otherwise, it's scary to ride on the street, so I stick to the trails and am fortunate enough to live close to one.

Take good care!

mokofoko
08-09-2020, 07:50 PM
At least in the tri-state area the ratio of asswipe drivers has increased twofold since Covid hit and that's saying a lot.

Lots of people are on edge and mental health being affected also increases irritability, but the fact of the matter is that with decreased regular traffic the morons feel it's easier to get away with being a douche canoe than before, and they're right.

Driving after about 11pm is the worst - I've witnessed at least six different road racing accidents in the past month. None big enough to cause a Fast and Furious-style disaster, but plenty of lost mirrors, destroyed bumpers, broken glass and people ridden off the road.

Stay safe out there people.

This is EXACTLY why I've transitioned to riding in the morning, even though the weather is far more pleasant here (this time of year) at night. It's just too risky right now. A higher percentage of drivers seem to have gone completely loco. I had a car pass within a foot of me today and I was rather pissed.

Tandem Rider
08-09-2020, 08:25 PM
I got buzzed for the first time this year yesterday, it's August. CA plates in OR, the Governor issued a "stay at home and don't visit here" order a few weeks ago, literacy must not be their strong suit.

Richard
08-09-2020, 08:37 PM
I think people are just angry and, sadly, have politicized everything, including riding. Feels like there's a super strong "mine, get out" attitude towards "others," and to cars, we are the other.

I've hung up my road bikes for the short term and am spending time in the woods.

rcnute
08-09-2020, 08:54 PM
I saw someone get hit today. Not bad fortunately, but the driver just drove off. Not fast, just as if nothing happened. Obviously knew he hit the biker. I tried to catch up to him but had both kids on the bike so my sprint was off!

People.

Ryan

majorpat
08-09-2020, 08:56 PM
I know the Catskills are “ upstate “ for many but keep on going upstate and things get better!

skiezo
08-09-2020, 08:59 PM
In my area most of the ppl/cars are polite and give distance but three are always a few a holes out there. Last week riding with one of my buds we got brushed close and a few choice words thrown our way. Now Jeff is black and about 6'3",#260,Olympic judo finalist. Some redneck in a big diesel truck. Caught them at a lite an the trash talking started. Jeff very calmly reached in his jersey pocket n gave the whole a quick shot of police issue pepper spray only after a blade was shown all caught on a go pro.

monarchguy
08-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Tourists have decided to come out of the woodwork in upstate NY the past couple of weeks. Driving has gone from pleasant to obnoxious. Fortunately haven't been affected on the bike, but it's only a matter of time until the get lost....

Dan

SlowPokePete
08-10-2020, 04:55 AM
Now that I'm here in Columbia County, NY, I have sought the dirt and back roads and have, in almost two months, had no memorable bad driver experiences.

Have you ever ridden a bike in Westchester?

I used to say that riding a bike in Westchester was by far the most dangerous thing I used to do.

Glad that's behind me...now all I gotta do is keep from having a heart attack climbing all these hills!

SPP

soulspinner
08-10-2020, 05:59 AM

Live in Rochester. Less traffic, driving much faster blowing through stops and acting like they need to get to a hospital. Lot of out of towners especially FLA plated ones. Been riding earlier .

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Its good to see that its not just here (well, not really good to see because it means its happening in a lot of places).

I do think its more the tourists vs locals but I am curious to see how it tapers down as summer is still here and then fall is coming which is probably the nicest time to be in upstate ny.

AngryScientist
08-10-2020, 07:01 AM
one thing is for sure, the thruway was way worse than it has been in months coming back to NYC land yesterday. i sat i a LOT of traffic, which has been curiously absent for the last several months. i suspect you are correct that people are sick of being home and tourism in the catskills is booming again.

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 07:35 AM
one thing is for sure, the thruway was way worse than it has been in months coming back to NYC land yesterday. i sat i a LOT of traffic, which has been curiously absent for the last several months. i suspect you are correct that people are sick of being home and tourism in the catskills is booming again.

and I am all for that. Unlike some of my neighbors here I do not mind that people are coming up here and enjoying all the awesome stuff the catskills has to offer. Its not like I am a long life resident, I think we have been here for 3 years or so.

That said, obviously I am pissed about getting buzzed constantly and just people acting like d-bags. I know that at some swim holes there has been a big problem with people leaving trash around. I just can't understand people.

vincenz
08-10-2020, 07:49 AM
I used to live in the NYC boroughs and can sympathize. Long Island, Westchester, NJ, CT, it’s all the same. I think the attitude is par for the course, just that you’re probably seeing more of it with the weather and covid.

I moved away years ago and haven’t looked back. It’s definitely a regional thing as attitude is much better south here in the DC area.

In any case, if you ride early, let’s say 5am, you’re much less likely to see this behavior, no matter where. The crazies tend to need their sleep and don’t get out of the house and on the roads until 10am.

CAAD
08-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Florida has been exceptionally bad in the diving department in the last few months. Not really aggressive towards cyclists or pedestrians but just bad driving in general and speeding. Lots of New York and NJ pates buzzing around. Florida sucks go back home.

GregL
08-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Live in Rochester. Less traffic, driving much faster blowing through stops and acting like they need to get to a hospital. Lot of out of towners especially FLA plated ones. Been riding earlier .
This is what I've been seeing in the Syracuse area. I don't think it's visitors, I think it's the locals who have grown accustomed to less traffic on the roads. They're taking "liberties" with the rules of the road. Yesterday, I watched one man in a red pickup deliberately go through a red light. He stopped several feet past the stop line only because I made eye contact and had previously signaled my turn. (Context: I made a full-stop, with foot on the ground, at a red light. I signaled a left turn and proceeded to make the turn when the light turned green. The red pickup was on my left, traveling straight through the intersection.). As soon as I was through the intersection, he ignored the still-red light and went straight ahead.

On the whole, CNY drivers have been considerate and polite over the past few months. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of inappropriate motorist interactions I have experienced in 2020 (e.g., coal rolling, illegal turns, etc...). The vast majority of drivers have been great.

Greg

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Florida has been exceptionally bad in the diving department in the last few months. Not really aggressive towards cyclists or pedestrians but just bad driving in general and speeding. Lots of New York and NJ pates buzzing around. Florida sucks go back home.

Actually funny you mention this. Up until covid, usually when I had someone scream out the window or buzz me 9/10 times was a florida plate :P

paredown
08-10-2020, 08:17 AM
My new complaint are the people heading up in to Harriman park now that they can go to the beach at Lake Welch. Lotsa close passes--and my new favorite, the refusal to wait for the oncoming car to clear before passing uphill--they just pull out and expect the oncoming car just to move over tor for them.

My real fear is that one day the downhill car will fail to move, and they will pull back into their own lane and take me out...

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 08:32 AM
My new complaint are the people heading up in to Harriman park now that they can go to the beach at Lake Welch. Lotsa close passes--and my new favorite, the refusal to wait for the oncoming car to clear before passing uphill--they just pull out and expect the oncoming car just to move over tor for them.

My real fear is that one day the downhill car will fail to move, and they will pull back into their own lane and take me out...

yeah, I can't believe people do that, or do it before a turn. Have seen plenty of close calls between cars. While I appreciate they are giving me space, can't you literally wait 10 seconds?

C40_guy
08-10-2020, 08:40 AM
yeah, I can't believe people do that, or do it before a turn. Have seen plenty of close calls between cars. While I appreciate they are giving me space, can't you literally wait 10 seconds?

I was running on a gravel road in the Berkshires last weekend. Saw maybe 10 cars over a 90 minute period.

At one point, I was cresting a hill, with a car coming in each direction. Not enough room to step far enough off the road, so I signaled the oncoming car to slow down. Then I turned and signaled the other car to slow. (Neither could see the other at that point).

Both did indeed slow down. When the first passed, I got a friendly wave. When the second passed (a pickup truck), I got another friendly wave, a nod and a thumbs up.

I think they understood that I was trying to keep *them* safe.

Must have been locals. :)

jpw
08-10-2020, 08:42 AM

I wonder why gravel became a thing?

b33
08-10-2020, 08:55 AM
Everything is now tribal and political - from beans to masks in the middle of a pandemic.

With the absences of less cops enforcing traffic you think the average rolling coal, dual truck driving, confederate flag waving dude isn't going to zero in on our latte sipping, NY Times reading, Bernie Bro, latex wearing, metrosexual, euro bike riding A$$.

It's happening all over the place - 100mph plus tickets are up 87%. (https://www.sanfranciscocriminallawyerblog.com/tickets-for-speeding-over-100-mph-up-87-during-covid-19-quarantine-dmv-expands-online-services/)

And for those that say "I am not a Bernie Bro" - it's a generalization and that is exactly the issue. I've never been interviewed by someone who buzzes me . . .

verticaldoug
08-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Roads were quiet and people well mannered through end of May. After that, it has been a steady increase of rage. Westchester is back to normal with impatient drivers with a few people thrown in who think you don't belong on the road. Horns are quick now too.

Some of the anger may be from people having to commute instead of taking the train. That's added stress. Plus if anyone has driven in NYC proper lately, the take-out deliveryman on e-bike kamikaze specials really piss off drivers. I was in Alphabet City/Bowery Sunday and bikes were flying every which way. Wrong way down avenues, running lights, the whole 9 yards. And these e-bikes are fast. Guilt by association in my book for Westchester cyclists.

sailorboy
08-10-2020, 09:11 AM
less cars on the road, so maybe it seems like less incidents?, but honestly it happens so often anymore I've stopped keeping track.

My favorite is when I take the center of the lane on a dangerous stretch of road where a driver can't see the road ahead and therefore shouldn't be overtaking (as our driver handbook instructs cyclists to do), only to be honked at, given the finger, yelled at or all three after I move over to let them pass.

cal_len1
08-10-2020, 09:15 AM
I found it interesting in that when everything went into lockdown, drivers were super nice, but as time went on, they got worse and worse. Now, I think the drivers are the most miserable I've seen in the past few years. They have so much less patience now, which is odd.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Hang in there man and stay safe.
Tourism will be winding down in a month.

You forgot foliage season.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2020, 09:23 AM

No international travel, most wont get into a plane, so, day tripping.

campy man
08-10-2020, 10:08 AM
It's happening all over the place - 100mph plus tickets are up 87%. (https://www.sanfranciscocriminallawyerblog.com/tickets-for-speeding-over-100-mph-up-87-during-covid-19-quarantine-dmv-expands-online-services/)

The interaction between riders and cars seem about the same out here but +90mph drivers on the freeways are pretty common now. In addition to the speeding, probably 2-3 times a week I see Fast & Furious type driving ... high speed lane changing and tailgating.

Not really a car guy but Dodge must giving away muscle cars these days ... they are all over the place with their tuned exhausts. Any stretch of open freeway and these drivers can't resist going +90mph in their cars and SUVs.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Yeah, well, if you were a cop, would you now risk your life to hand out a ticket?

Good argument for speed cameras. The technology is already established. License plate readers are everywhere, and they work at upper highway speeds.

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 11:18 AM
I was running on a gravel road in the Berkshires last weekend. Saw maybe 10 cars over a 90 minute period.

At one point, I was cresting a hill, with a car coming in each direction. Not enough room to step far enough off the road, so I signaled the oncoming car to slow down. Then I turned and signaled the other car to slow. (Neither could see the other at that point).

Both did indeed slow down. When the first passed, I got a friendly wave. When the second passed (a pickup truck), I got another friendly wave, a nod and a thumbs up.

I think they understood that I was trying to keep *them* safe.

Must have been locals. :)

I know drivers usually are annoying with cyclists taking up the road. Sometimes people ridding in pacelines, ect. but I am 99% of the time by myself. I got the radar so when it tells me a car is coming I go as much as I can to the right, usually over the line. If a car is behind me and I can see nothing is coming I usually wave em pass me. I go above and beyond to help things be smooth and keep traffic going. I don't think everyone needs to do this and even when people are ridding with other people, cars can wait 10-30 seconds to safely pass.

I have to say that most people are nice and do give space and a lot of them wave but all it takes is 1 a-hole to ruin your day.

zap
08-10-2020, 11:27 AM
If a car is behind me and I can see nothing is coming I usually wave em pass me. I

Please stop doing that.

If nothing else, it makes signaling left turns useless as so many motorists keep passing on the left as these knuckleheads think we are waving them around.

jtakeda
08-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Please stop doing that.

If nothing else, it makes signaling left turns useless as so many motorists keep passing on the left as these knuckleheads think we are waving them around.

Why? I do this all the time. On a country road with lots of ups and downs and hill crests there arent many safe places to pass, give as much help as you can.

Im guessing the poster is riding roads where there are no left turns

For the most part I've found drivers to be fairly nice--Ive had one person get close but not enough to really scare me. Ive had more people roll down the window to cheer me on than yell at me recently

CAAD
08-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Actually funny you mention this. Up until covid, usually when I had someone scream out the window or buzz me 9/10 times was a florida plate :P

Probably from Miami! Why people like that dump is beyond me!

mdeth1313
08-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Now that I'm here in Columbia County, NY, I have sought the dirt and back roads and have, in almost two months, had no memorable bad driver experiences.

I used to say that riding a bike in Westchester was by far the most dangerous thing I used to do.

Glad that's behind me...now all I gotta do is keep from having a heart attack climbing all these hills!

SPP

I've been on the road in Dutchess and Columbia (counties - NY). Columbia is far, far better, but also less populated. I've had hardly any issues in Columbia County - Dutchess is mostly fine as long as I stay on the eastern side of the county (Dover-Dover Plains is always a moronic crap shoot). As for Westchester - I did ride south a bunch of times this summer and things were definitely a lot better than they have been in years past.

What's been more alarming are the increased number of license plates I've seen on cars indicating they've come from COVID land.

R3awak3n
08-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Please stop doing that.

Why? I do this all the time. On a country road with lots of ups and downs and hill crests there arent many safe places to pass, give as much help as you can.

Im guessing the poster is riding roads where there are no left turns

For the most part I've found drivers to be fairly nice--Ive had one person get close but not enough to really scare me. Ive had more people roll down the window to cheer me on than yell at me recently

this exactly. I am in the country. I don't remember the last time I signaled a turn be it left or right. Not that any car gives a crap about bike signaling. What I do when I want to turn is just make sure there is no car behind me and make the turn, I don't rely on signals.

Also I have noticed that cars are always appreciative when I signal them to pass and I only do this when a car is behind me more a little bit which I appreciate them doing this so I move to the side and if I see its clear tell em, hey its clear and I am paying attention.

Kirk007
08-10-2020, 01:43 PM
and my new favorite, the refusal to wait for the oncoming car to clear before passing uphill--they just pull out and expect the oncoming car just to move over tor for them.

This. I live on a relatively small hilly island; most roads have 25 mph speed limit, limited if any shoulders, and it takes no more than 15 minutes to get anywhere on the island, and of course, there's nothing to get to with deadlines these days.

Yesterday, on a close to 90 degree blind curve some asshat with a big truck and construction trailer passes me just as I was entering the curve. If an oncoming car had been present either there would have been a head on collision or I would have been smacked and launched into the hillside. This blind passing phenomena has become an almost every ride occurrence.

I'm in the camp of waving drivers through when it is safe to do so but I am also increasingly taking the center of the lane on these blind hills - rather piss off the driver than be put into the ditch or worse.

Overall, I am amazed, dissapointed and disheartened by the large percentage of Americans who are so self centered and so short term in their perspective that they can't control their impulses, whether its being behind the wheel or going to parties (Sturgis anyone?) for what is, in the relative scheme of an average life span, a very short period of time during which we need to be patient and cautious.

parris
08-10-2020, 01:52 PM
One of the earlier posters brought up something that I've seen. There's a number of drivers that don't know how big/wide their vehicles are. I could very well be wrong but I think that some of it is that you have drivers that go from something in the Civic/Accord size class to full size SUV/Pickup class. Add blind spots AND especially distracted drivers and you have a sketchy situation.

Also don't forget that some, not all but some older/old drivers can't see are in the mix. Last weekend a buddy of mine got clipped by in his words, "a lady that was old as f**k". She not clipped him he went over a guardrail and down an embankment. He said she was so clueless that she didn't even know that she did it.

DHallerman
08-10-2020, 01:53 PM
There are at least two Westchesters. Here in the county’s northwest region, the cars have been much like pre-Covid, aka, not bad.

This is a matter of density, of course. Were you thinking the southern parts?

And perhaps another reason. After seeing what upstate folks have said about tourists, I’d guess this area mixes lower density with no real tourist traffic.

SPP

GregL
08-10-2020, 01:59 PM
Also don't forget that some, not all but some older/old drivers can't see are in the mix. Last weekend a buddy of mine got clipped by in his words, "a lady that was old as f**k". She not clipped him he went over a guardrail and down an embankment. He said she was so clueless that she didn't even know that she did it.This happens all too often. It's an artifact of a society that "gives" someone a license at age 16 and almost never re-tests their skills again. I've had several close calls with elderly drivers over the years who clearly no longer had the physical skills to safely operate a vehicle. One women turned right into a group I was cycling with. It was an absolute miracle that she threaded the needle between two riders. I turned into the drugstore parking lot where she parked. As I pulled up next to her car, I saw that her right arm was completely useless. She had to reach over the steering column with her left arm to shut off the car and remove the key from the ignition. When I asked her if she realized she had nearly killed several cyclists, she stated that she didn't see any of them...

Greg

tbike4
08-10-2020, 02:24 PM
I haven't read all of the posts here but what I see when I go out at 6:15 am to beat the heat is drivers running red lights. No other cars on the road they figure what the heck and blow through it. I get on the bike path quick.
OT but on weekends the bike path is to be avoided. WAY too many people mixing with bicycles.

fkslksj
08-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Right after the lockdown started, it was the best cycling I've experienced here in Santa Barbara. Empty mountain streets where I'm usually wary of cars around blind corners, no cars downtown, etc. made it cycling paradise.

Now that things are returning to normal-ish, and reading through some of the posts here, I'm glad I live in an area where people are generally considerate. Occasionally get "that driver" who swings way close when the lanes are plenty wide, but it seems like they exist everywhere.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2020, 09:23 PM
I've been on the road in Dutchess and Columbia (counties - NY). Columbia is far, far better, but also less populated. I've had hardly any issues in Columbia County - Dutchess is mostly fine as long as I stay on the eastern side of the county (Dover-Dover Plains is always a moronic crap shoot). As for Westchester - I did ride south a bunch of times this summer and things were definitely a lot better than they have been in years past.

What's been more alarming are the increased number of license plates I've seen on cars indicating they've come from COVID land.

Wait. Aren't we all from Covid land at this point?

BobbyJones
08-10-2020, 09:35 PM
New Yorkers can complain about the same old routes but I sure am thankful for Henry Hudson Drive (River Road) more than usual these days.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Right after the lockdown started, it was the best cycling I've experienced here in Santa Barbara. Empty mountain streets where I'm usually wary of cars around blind corners, no cars downtown, etc. made it cycling paradise.

Now that things are returning to normal-ish, and reading through some of the posts here, I'm glad I live in an area where people are generally considerate. Occasionally get "that driver" who swings way close when the lanes are plenty wide, but it seems like they exist everywhere.

Might want to scroll down to the graph...not sure of your definition of 'normalish'..

https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/santa-barbara-county/

Johnnysmooth
08-11-2020, 07:40 AM
Having ridden for decades, including a few of those bike commuting yr round in Boston area, I’ve seen it all.

In general, find motorists to be more conscious of bikes on the road and kinder towards cyclists (a lot more people on bikes today than say the 80’s).

That being said, the pandemic is fraying people’s nerves and have seen more “incidents” in last several months than normal. I chalk it up to a mental health thing and hope it subsides in time. For now, just sticking to less traveled roads and try to get out early.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
That being said, the pandemic is fraying people’s nerves and have seen more “incidents” in last several months than normal. I chalk it up to a mental health thing and hope it subsides in time. For now, just sticking to less traveled roads and try to get out early.

Murder is up about 40% than normal over the last decade. Times are tense. Now, most murders are between people who know each other in some way, so, more family disputes in lockdown, but, that kind of anger carries over into the rest of the world.

Matthew
08-11-2020, 11:51 AM
I have found in my area it's been pretty tame this season. Don't think I've been yelled at, flipped off, and only honked at a few times so far. Lots of riders on the roads and trails so maybe people are more conscious of riders now. Just hope it lasts when/if things get more "normal."

C40_guy
08-11-2020, 12:12 PM
There are at least two Westchesters.

And then there's West Chester, which is a couple of hours south, in PA...

benb
08-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Boston area here.

Overall people are fairly friendly to cyclists here. Nothing like some of the places down south that get posted here.

However I would say relative to normal:

- A few months ago it was better than normal... less cars on the road and people weren't stressed out going to the office or going to pick up kids so the drivers were more polite.

- As of today probably a little worse than normal, we're a lot closer to "normal" right now and there's maybe 60% normal traffic and the drivers are starting to be rude again and they're speeding a lot.

adampaiva
08-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Reporting from over in my part of the Catskills. Traffic definitely picked up a lot compared to the lovely emptiness of May but I’ve still had nothing but positive interaction with drivers on my rides. Some Terribly Silly Toyota Siennas in some of the little town centers clogging up traffic with u-turns and double parking but otherwise I can’t think of a single negative experience I’ve had. Actually been getting tons of nods/waves from drivers just saying hello. I do tend to avoid all the potentially busy areas on the weekends. Ride over this way Paulo!

Saxon
08-12-2020, 12:17 AM
I've been yelled at three time in the last two weeks. One "GET OUT OF THE ROAD!" when I was waiting at a red light in a turn lane. And two "You shouldn't be on the road, it's too dangerous" (?). All three from younger males driving pickup trucks. Really strange as I haven't been yelled at on the road around here for nearly 15 years. I'm thinking two might have been the same guy on different days.
I haven't seen any accidents, but on my daily route, I've noticed lots of areas of broken glass and plastic where something's gone down.

verticaldoug
08-12-2020, 04:52 AM
I've been yelled at three time in the last two weeks. One "GET OUT OF THE ROAD!" when I was waiting at a red light in a turn lane. And two "You shouldn't be on the road, it's too dangerous" (?). All three from younger males driving pickup trucks. Really strange as I haven't been yelled at on the road around here for nearly 15 years. I'm thinking two might have been the same guy on different days.
I haven't seen any accidents, but on my daily route, I've noticed lots of areas of broken glass and plastic where something's gone down.

Look at the bright side, at least they did not coal you. A little progress I guess.

R3awak3n
08-12-2020, 06:10 AM
Look at the bright side, at least they did not coal you. A little progress I guess.

lol, I had one of those trucks pass right by me. 2 huge chimneys behind me and they resisted the urge to coal me. progress indeed.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2020, 08:59 AM
The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon. You realize what a major industry it is and how many people are employed. Right on cue, at about 2:25 PM, all hell breaks loose with thousands of Tiger moms driving large SUVs with steely determination. Gotta get to lacrosse practice! I'm selfishly hoping that my local districts go Zoom for this school year. Poor kids, but, quiet roads.

I'm in upper Fairfield county, btw, and bike over in upper Westchester most every ride. I dont think it's bad at all, although maybe I've gotten used to it. I did get coal rolled for the very first time up in horsey North Salem last month, which I thought, well, of all places.

XXtwindad
08-12-2020, 09:38 AM
The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon. You realize what a major industry it is and how many people are employed. Right on cue, at about 2:25 PM, all hell breaks loose with thousands of Tiger moms driving large SUVs with steely determination. Gotta get to lacrosse practice! I'm selfishly hoping that my local districts go Zoom for this school year. Poor kids, but, quiet roads.

I'm in upper Fairfield county, btw, and bike over in upper Westchester most every ride. I dont think it's bad at all, although maybe I've gotten used to it. I did get coal rolled for the very first time up in horsey North Salem last month, which I thought, well, of all places.

I love this quote. Mr. Pink might be my favorite "cantankerous sage" on the Forum. So much truth. As a parent, I'm really upset that my kids are being "Zoom" instructed...most likely for the entirety of the school year. Inevitably, progress in so many ways will be stymied.

That being said, as a cyclist, there are few drivers I fear more than soccer moms. Their precious progeny takes precedence over everything else.

Edit: "Lacrosse" practice? Man, that's gotta be the Blue Blood Soccer Mom on Roids. Look out.

unterhausen
08-12-2020, 10:25 AM
The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon.
I have seen estimates that 1/3 of rush hour traffic is parents driving their kids to school. I believe it, I live close enough to a school to see it. They even felt compelled to put in a traffic light because of the 20 minutes before school starts every day.

GregL
08-12-2020, 11:28 AM
I have seen estimates that 1/3 of rush hour traffic is parents driving their kids to school. I believe it, I live close enough to a school to see it. They even felt compelled to put in a traffic light because of the 20 minutes before school starts every day.
I love the dichotomy: parents always complaining about time crunches, yet wasting time driving their kids to school. My daughter attended a large (500+ graduating classes), suburban school district. I estimate that I drove her to school less than ten times over the years. I only drove her if she had something large to carry that would be cumbersome on the bus. Otherwise, K-12, it was ride the bus. And we wonder why we have young adults with no maturity and accountability...

Greg

benb
08-12-2020, 11:47 AM
School busses are going to be a disaster this fall though. The bus plan here is seriously deficient compared to the school plan.

I think we're going to drive our son to school even though we completely despise the idea of doing so.

Maybe we'll drive part way there and park a half mile out and walk in to avoid the insanity of the people sitting in SUVs idling for an hour before drop off.

I probably got driven to school or picked up 10 times my whole childhood.. most of those being pickups where I had a fever or had thrown up and was in the nurses office and my Mom was summoned to take me home.

I am expecting we're all going to be back to 100% remote within a couple weeks of school opening anyway. They're all forgetting only one sick person needs to come into the school. It doesn't matter how few people are sick, you only need 1.

XXtwindad
08-12-2020, 12:39 PM
School busses are going to be a disaster this fall though. The bus plan here is seriously deficient compared to the school plan.

I think we're going to drive our son to school even though we completely despise the idea of doing so.

Maybe we'll drive part way there and park a half mile out and walk in to avoid the insanity of the people sitting in SUVs idling for an hour before drop off.

I probably got driven to school or picked up 10 times my whole childhood.. most of those being pickups where I had a fever or had thrown up and was in the nurses office and my Mom was summoned to take me home.

I am expecting we're all going to be back to 100% remote within a couple weeks of school opening anyway. They're all forgetting only one sick person needs to come into the school. It doesn't matter how few people are sick, you only need 1.

So much to say about this. But, you Sir, are correct. To bring it back around to the original topic, the silver lining will be less distracted parents on the road.