PDA

View Full Version : This week climbing

Fixed
08-09-2020, 05:33 PM
This week I road 163.3 miles and climbed 16749 feet
For every ten miles I climb a 1000 feet ,
living most of my life in Florida I have learned to love the hills around my condo ,in fact from my Ames chair I can look out my window And see hawk hill and the Golden Gate Bridge
I think To myself a few hours ago I was on top of that hill .
I know many of you guys ride and climb a lot more than that as I am an older rider (65)and traumatic brain injury survivor now excepting that and being thankful for what one can still do Is a kind of freedom .
Cheers to all my friends here

Clean39T
08-09-2020, 06:31 PM
living most of my life in Florida I have learned to love the hills around my condo ,in fact from my Ames chair I can look out my window And see hawk hill and the Golden Gate Bridge
I know many of you guys ride and climb a lot more than that as I am an older rider (65)and traumatic brain injury survivor now excepting that and being thankful for what one can still do Is a kind of freedom .

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the week. Congrats on getting to enjoy what's on offer down there.

I usually make it a point to climb as often and as much as possible, and that means a pretty slow average speed most days. But I was feeling tired this morning and decided to take a route that was as flat as you can get around these parts - and oh my does 55 mi go by quickly when you're in your big ring the whole time! It was a nice change of pace - kinda boring though.

I guess if you long for some FL type riding, you can always drive over to Davis and mosey around the valley.

Bici-Sonora
08-09-2020, 06:48 PM

That’s a big week! We’ve had the road to Mt. Lemmon closed because of a fire earlier in the summer. I’ve missed my summer climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
08-09-2020, 06:50 PM

What a blessing! It would take me two weeks and double the miles to find that footage. Here’s to you! If I were there I’d say let’s ride to the 21 st amendment and hoist a pint.

Latestart
08-09-2020, 07:18 PM
You might find you enjoy the routes around Point Reyes Station. I rode "marshall wall" friday morning and saw 2 cars in an 18 mile stretch. It perfect up there.

doomridesout
08-09-2020, 10:31 PM
I just moved from Sacramento back to the North Coast (north of Arcata). There's nothing flat here, I missed it.

XXtwindad
08-09-2020, 10:41 PM

Well done! Kudos. Hawk Hill is stunningly beautiful. In my beginner days, the descent of Hawk Hill (toward Rodeo Beach) freaked me out. You couldn't see the descent over the crest. Now I'm more experienced, and I have ... discs! :)

XXtwindad
08-09-2020, 10:42 PM
I just moved from Sacramento back to the North Coast (north of Arcata). There's nothing flat here, I missed it.

Haha. That's why this Sacramento kid could never move back. Too hot. Too flat. But man, the Summer evenings with a cold beer and a cool crush. Great memories.

WindyCityCy
08-09-2020, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a wonderful week of riding.

Duende
08-10-2020, 12:04 AM
That’s a big week! We’ve had the road to Mt. Lemmon closed because of a fire earlier in the summer. I’ve missed my summer climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and Sabino is closed too. I’ve resorted to riding up and down Sentinel Peak (A mountain) a few times every morning.

Today, an old-timer was on my tail... Made me think to myself... this guy is actually gonna pass me! Turns out he had a motor in his bike. He kept it at a low setting or he definitely would have passed me.

Long story short... he’s 82! And the motor allows him to still do hills without getting his BP out of hand. He’s ridden all his life, so abandoning the climbs was out of the question.

Best rationale I’ve heard yet for those electric bikes. Inspiring Human being too!

weisan
08-10-2020, 02:51 AM
Fixed Version 2.0

paredown
08-10-2020, 05:50 AM
Yep, and Sabino is closed too. I’ve resorted to riding up and down Sentinel Peak (A mountain) a few times every morning.

Today, an old-timer was on my tail... Made me think to myself... this guy is actually gonna pass me! Turns out he had a motor in his bike. He kept it at a low setting or he definitely would have passed me.

Long story short... he’s 82! And the motor allows him to still do hills without getting his BP out of hand. He’s ridden all his life, so abandoning the climbs was out of the question.

Best rationale I’ve heard yet for those electric bikes. Inspiring Human being too!
That's a happy story!

Reminds me of when I was a young guy selling skis, and I sold a pair to someone who seemed ancient (he was in his 70s IIRC, I was in my 20s)--and he prefaced his remarks by saying that he didn't ski the bumps any more so he was looking for a forgiving ski that was easy on his knees....

For the OP--glad you are working your way out of the TBI fog--it takes a long time and a lot of patience.

Steve in SLO
08-10-2020, 09:52 AM
What a week. It’s good to hear you are able to take such advantage of your ‘neighborhood’.

NHAero
08-10-2020, 11:00 AM
I'm envious!
I looked at my miles and elevation for 2020 and I average exactly 1/3 the elevation per mile as your week, here on Martha's Vineyard. Almost 4,000 miles, and I'm only on my fifth Everest of the year :-)

cgolvin
08-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Good for you! I too aim to meet or exceed that golden ratio, though the long flat slog to get to the canyons sometimes ruins that. While I admire riders who can maintain high speed on extended flats, to me such a ride holds far less enjoyment than one with elevation.

If you get tired of your local climbs I'd recommend a short trip down the coast to Santa Cruz. Great climbing through the redwoods on roads with light traffic.

Keep 'em turning.

overmyhead
08-11-2020, 08:36 AM
What a great week. I envy that you can do it. I love to climb but have never nearly approached those numbers. Much respect to you and wishing you continued success recovering from the injury.

Waldo62
08-11-2020, 12:05 PM
Welcome to Bay Area riding. Good for you for tackling the hills. Views from sea level aren't as good as from the hills, so the efforts are always worth it.