PDA

View Full Version : Ot: auto transport

Tickdoc
08-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Anyone ship a car cross country (or half) and have a recommendation for a good carrier?

Any tips and or lessons learned greatly appreciated.

Probably not going to pay for covered, open is ok.

Thanks in advance.

54ny77
08-09-2020, 10:20 AM
If you care about the car and can stomach the cost (think of it as preventative insurance), Intercity. Among the best in the biz, and priced accordingly (a few grand, +/-, from coast to coast).

Anything else, esp. the brokerages (U-ship, etc) is a total gamble.

I've used both. On the latter, I shipped a car a couple years ago coast to coast that I wasn't going to lose any sleep if it got grimy and wasn't handled with care. Just needed it shipped at a low price. Thankfully, I lucked out with a decent carrier--the driver owned his truck. It was not enclosed and driver said he moved it a couple times--half of journey the car sat on top, which is better (less chance of car fluids dripping, which can destroy the paint).

John H.
08-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Mostly the person that you broker the deal with is not the company that ships it.
They get a car shipper to carry your car.
Most important thing is full walk-through before and after. don't let them deliver your car in the evening.
You want to be able to look at every single thing.

eddief
08-09-2020, 10:48 AM
maybe the scammiest biz i ever encountered. instead of shipping my new car from North Dokota to CA, I flew there and drove it home. 1500 miles in 3 days a good way to get to know your new car.

alancw3
08-09-2020, 11:10 AM
I have never used them but Horseless Carriage use to do a lot of high end auto shipping for the collector car market. have not been part of that for many years now but you may want to check them out:

https://www.horselesscarriage.com

I have also heard good things about Inter City. I once inquired to them about a potential car move and unfortunately they did cover that area in North Central Florida. from what I remember they basically specialize in coast to coast major city moves and I got the sense that they were a one truck family operation. again that was at least 15 years ago.

bigbill
08-09-2020, 11:19 AM
I've shipped a few cars. Horseless Carriage has the best reputation and I've used them once. They're pricey but you get what you pay for.

I'm shipping a car late next month and I'll probably enter the living hell called shipping brokers and get a dozen calls a day before and after the shipping is complete. The only advantage I have this time is living next to I-40 which is a major cross country trucking route. Some guy can probably finish off a load by getting my car and I'll save a few bucks. It is my son's car and I had thought about road-tripping it out to Annapolis from here (Kingman, AZ) but that is three solid days of driving and by the time I figure in my vacation days, hotels, and a return plane ticket, shipping probably breaks even.

54ny77
08-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Alan, you are correct on Intercity being somewhat limited in pickups from certain cities/regions. It also depends on the time of year and how much the truck is filled prior to your scheduled pickup. I've used 'em a few times over the years. The loading process takes a good hour+, they go thru every square inch of the car, literally, and require it to be clean before shipping because they wrap it in multiple layers of soft cloth padded coverings as well as plastic wrap. Dunno about the 1-truck thing, I would venture they have several and drivers are often husband & wife owner-operators under the Intercity brand.

Horseless carriage is also a very reputable transporter, and about the same price as Intercity.

I have never used them but Horseless Carriage use to do a lot of high end auto shipping for the collector car market. have not been part of that for many years now but you may want to check them out:

https://www.horselesscarriage.com

I have also heard good things about Inter City. I once inquired to them about a potential car move and unfortunately they did cover that area in North Central Florida. from what I remember they basically specialize in coast to coast major city moves and I got the sense that they were a one truck family operation. again that was at least 15 years ago.

jds108
08-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Moving from CA to MT: I couldn't find a carrier, as my destination was too far off the typical transport routes - I'm in Bozeman, which is right on I-90. Thus, I'd strongly suggest to arrange your shipper as far ahead as possible.

I've been through corporate relocation multiple times, so almost always wasn't choosing or managing the transporter. Clean your car well prior to the move, take lots of pics, note mileage, etc. Then look over everything at delivery, particularly the points where the vehicle was secured.

I had at least one time where my car was offloaded midway then put on a different carrier, so don't be surprised if that happens.

Tickdoc
08-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Trip is mainly I 40 Cali to ok so hopefully easy to coordinate.

I’ve got. Feelers out for some of the usual carriers but thank you so much for the other two mentioned. I’ll call them Monday and see what their pricing is.

Also, I will meet them for offload to make it convenient and/or save money.

Thanks again!

Geemalar
08-09-2020, 02:37 PM
I deal with a transport company for work on a regular basis, I know it’s $4,000 to send a vehicle enclosed from the NY NJ metro area to LA. PM me if you want me to find out if they have open carriers.

SoCalSteve
08-09-2020, 04:19 PM
If there are any high end car dealerships in your area, hit them up and see who they use to ship cars. I bought one of my 911’s out of FL from a Porsche dealership and the whole process went off without a hitch.

Driver texted me along the way, showed up when he said he was going to and the car was perfect ( shipped it enclosed ).

steelbikerider
08-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Don't use these guys.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/restored-429-mach-1-mustang-150000343.html

Tickdoc
08-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Don't use these guys.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/restored-429-mach-1-mustang-150000343.html

Ouch.

It’s a truck. Not that I want that to happen To it, but just ouch.

Tickdoc
08-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Well I booked an open carrier. I've got my fingers crossed that this works out. It looks like there are 20-50 auto carrier companies that ship cross country and they are all incahoots.....unless you pay big bucks for enclosed transport.

It still cost more than I wanted to pay, but I was worried that getting the best price was just going to increase my chances of getting a worse driver.

Once you inquire online, your name goes into an auto generated database that they all seem to share and they are like piranhas with a chicken leg to get your business. Then I'm guessing they eventually assign a truck and driver that is going that way? Man, uber could clean up that business in a hurry.

I found no way to pick a better carrier, or how to know which one is better than any other, without paying out the nose for it.

They all seem to be licensed, bonded, insured, so I guess that is my only recourse if anything goes wrong.

Pray for me....or for my truck at least!

fogrider
08-11-2020, 10:30 PM
I just shipped a car to Indiana from San Francisco. it just depends if there's a run headed that way. You're basically talking to a broker and they put the word out and see who has a load headed that way. I met the driver just off the freeway and he loaded and got back on the freeway. Like everything in life, there are risk in everything...but the car got there, all good.

Well I booked an open carrier. I've got my fingers crossed that this works out. It looks like there are 20-50 auto carrier companies that ship cross country and they are all incahoots.....unless you pay big bucks for enclosed transport.

It still cost more than I wanted to pay, but I was worried that getting the best price was just going to increase my chances of getting a worse driver.

Once you inquire online, your name goes into an auto generated database that they all seem to share and they are like piranhas with a chicken leg to get your business. Then I'm guessing they eventually assign a truck and driver that is going that way? Man, uber could clean up that business in a hurry.

I found no way to pick a better carrier, or how to know which one is better than any other, without paying out the nose for it.

They all seem to be licensed, bonded, insured, so I guess that is my only recourse if anything goes wrong.

Pray for me....or for my truck at least!

carpediemracing
08-13-2020, 11:54 PM
I bought my Suburban in Phoenix. The guy that built my frames actually bought it - he's comfortable enough to overhaul an automatic transmission, weld and do body work, and paint a pick up truck, so I trusted him to be able to look over a vehicle. Had it trucked (open) to CT. No issues. Driver owned truck. He wouldn't even accept a tip. I think it cost just under $1000, like $989. Was fine. I can't remember who I used.

Looking at emails it looks like I used "Direct Express". They then find a carrier. I was really lucky I think.

The Suburban I got beat the pants off of anything here in CT in the $10-15k range (no rust!), and it was $5400 shipped including a $500 finder's fee to the guy that bought it for me. It's been great for the 3.5 years I've had it. It's getting rusty though, despite my attempts to keep that from happening.

Tickdoc
08-14-2020, 05:38 AM
funny, that is the same carrier I ended up choosing! (Direct Express).

I called about 6 and the guy from direct express seemed the most honest and least needy of the bunch. They also had the quickest pickup window and transit time. Cost more to use them, but turns out they were all pretty comparable.

Seller sent me pics of the loading and according to him it was a nice father/son duo so I feel better about it...I guess we'll find out here in another two or three days!

Clancy
08-14-2020, 06:28 AM
This is somewhat timely but not quite on topic.

I’m researching shippers to transport a motorcycle and like the other comments I’ve been surprised at the prices. I’ve been having difficulty in finding actual shippers instead only brokers.

I don’t understand why I should pay a fee just to get a middleman to book a truck for me.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced shipper for a motorcycle?

carpediemracing
08-14-2020, 07:50 AM

I’m researching shippers to transport a motorcycle and like the other comments I’ve been surprised at the prices. I’ve been having difficulty in finding actual shippers instead only brokers.

I don’t understand why I should pay a fee just to get a middleman to book a truck for me.

The main thing is as a truck driver you don't want to scour the internet for people that need a car moved from here to there. Instead it's much better to log in with a broker and then get assigned a task.

The guy that delivered my vehicle had 6 or so at the start. Mine was the furthest and last one delivered on that trip.

It was up top, which surprised me. I'd have expected it below (shield from wind, from debris on road). I didn't think of the "drip oil onto the car" thing.

yngpunk
08-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Might want to check with local motorcycle dealers (Harley Davidson comes to mind) to see if they have a recommendation or can help you ship. I think with a motorcycle, it gets strapped to a pallet first.