PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Compact Chainrings

AJM100
08-09-2020, 06:20 AM
Is it possible to source 10/11spd chainrings for Campy compact carbon cranks from the crank arm bolt generation? I know the BCD is funky on those, not quite 110.

Thanks.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2020, 06:25 AM
Is it possible to source 10/11spd chainrings for Campy compact carbon cranks from the crank arm bolt generation? I know the BCD is funky on those, not quite 110.

Thanks.

110mm for the 4 arms you see and 112mm for the hidden arm and TA and others make them, easy to find..

https://www.google.com/search?q=TA+chainrings&oq=TA+chainrings&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j0l4.8567j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Veloo
08-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Was wondering what was different about them that had websites being explicit about fit.

gfk_velo
08-09-2020, 05:13 PM

Thanks.

We have many of them in stock.
Those we don't have, if they are still available, normally we can have in the UK in between 10 and 14 days from Italy (slightly longer right now as it's holiday time in Italy and the Express Order service which we use is closed until 17th).

Note that different versions of the cranks may need different rings as some are different thickness to others - you also have several generations of UltraTorque and PowerTorque within "!0 and 11s".
Note too that 10s and 11s rings are different - the root thickness of the teeth is different and the position that the teeth are milled on the thickness of the ring varies (so changing the effective ring spacing), as does the shaping on the back of the outer chainrings.

The thickness matters because the outer ring is supported on both sides and the inner ring support is with a spacer behind the outer ring. If you have the wrong ring thickness, you will get a bend in the rings which can affect shifting, FD set-up generally, can cause chain drop ... is just generally to be avoided.

The version of the crank can be read from the small white product ID label on the back of both cranks - it will have three alphanumeric codes on it, the middle one of which will have the format FCxx-aabbbd where the "xx" is the design year. It's that date you need to refer to in the Campag Spares PDFs at the Campagnolo website. the aa part of the code will tell you the range - CE (Centaur), AT (Athena) etc, the last three digits (bbb) are the inner and outer ring sizes originally fitted to the crankset and the length of the crank. The final letter suffix (d) is the material of the crank.

chismog
08-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Wow, you out-potatoed potatoe. I didn't know that was possible. :banana:

I've got many sets of compact 10s cranks, this is good info.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Wow, you out-potatoed potatoe. I didn't know that was possible. :banana:

I've got many sets of compact 10s cranks, this is good info.

He's a 'company' man...:eek: Yup, Campag rings are 'available, bring yer big wallet tho..TA 'almost' as good, way less expensive and 10/11..the hidden arm 'spacer' may or may not apply for a carbon crank..

choke
08-10-2020, 07:38 AM
I've used the TA rings with both compact and standard cranks (alloy versions) and they work quite well IMO. I really can't tell a difference in shifting speed/quality though some people seem to feel that the Campy rings shift better.

FWIW, I have one 11sp bike that uses a square taper Record crank with TA rings that are labeled '9/10sp' and I've had zero problems with the chain falling between the rings.