PDA

View Full Version : Conti Gator Hardshell Alternative?

jpw
08-08-2020, 09:58 AM
I've been very successfully (very few punctures) using the Conti Gator Hardshell 32c, but I now want to up the volume to 35/38 to run slightly lower pressure on mixed surfaces including stoney gravel, and as the CGH tops out at 32c I need to consider other options.

I want a puncture protection layer ("the hardshell' of the Conti), a tread pattern for grip on loose surfaces (but not really knobbly - I want decent rolling on smooth road), not too heavy, and folding.

I've seen the Panaracer Gravel Kings, the Rene Here offerings, and one or two others. I have no experience of any of these.

Seeking recommendations.

Thanks.

mktng
08-08-2020, 10:08 AM
I've had great success with panaracer pasela's and gravel king's.

Gravel king's are definitely "faster" and feel a bit more comfortable. But the big thing is that they have TLR options.

Pasela's. Ran their 38 option. Low PSI. They felt great. Not as smooth rolling as the RH or the GK slicks. But still a great tires, and really affordable with good puncture protection.

AngryScientist
08-08-2020, 10:10 AM
I think the new Gravel King SS tires have your name written all over them. Smooth center strip to roll fast on pavement, and they should be pretty durable also.

Also - pretty much anything over a 32c tire really should be run tubeless with sealant, which will further reduce your incidences of punctures.

jpw
08-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Thanks.

Keep 'em coming :-)

skijoring
08-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Ugh, I recommend Schwalbe Marathons. Not for their ride quality/weight/general garden hose demeanor, but for their resistances to flats.
They have wire bead and folding models.
#Springwaterproven

zzy
08-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Marathon Supreme or gravelking SS with the pt belt. Also maxxis refuse

jpw
08-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Marathon Supreme or gravelking SS with the pt belt. Also maxxis refuse

The GK SS+? It is presently at the top of my short list :)

Do they run true to nominal sizing?

jpw
08-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Ugh, I recommend Schwalbe Marathons. Not for their ride quality/weight/general garden hose demeanor, but for their resistances to flats.
They have wire bead and folding models.
#Springwaterproven

I've used Marathons. Very good protection, but a bit heavy. Thanks.

azrider
08-10-2020, 11:22 AM
I’ve been very happy with my Gravel King slicks so far. For me The tiny treads on the SS quickly wore off and weren’t as puncture resistant than my slicks. Maybe I was just lucky.

My 700x38’s measure out to 37.92

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200810/98b6787150d04694619fcbde69a8aa6e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200810/872907d94234a1ee96d98783cf9f4593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.RJ
08-10-2020, 11:23 AM
gravel kings or something from maxxis with their extra protection layer (EXO?) and set them up tubeless if you can.

you'll be pleased coming from gatorskins....

luke_ross
08-11-2020, 01:34 AM
Commuted through NYC/Bk on both Panaracer Ribmo PT & Gravel King’s. Highly recommend both options. Ribmos would be the most puncture resistant (over 1k miles on 28c)but also like riding on a hard garden hose. Gravel Kings would be the supple Cadillac type feel.

jpw
08-11-2020, 05:42 AM
I’ve been very happy with my Gravel King slicks so far. For me The tiny treads on the SS quickly wore off and weren’t as puncture resistant than my slicks. Maybe I was just lucky.

My 700x38’s measure out to 37.92

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200810/98b6787150d04694619fcbde69a8aa6e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200810/872907d94234a1ee96d98783cf9f4593.jpg

Great 'service' here :)

How much clearance is there through your fork, to the sides and above?

Hilltopperny
08-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Panaracer Pasela tour guide are nicer rolling and durable tires IMO. Not very expensive either.

edward12
08-11-2020, 06:15 PM
This may seem a little odd, but I’ve had really good experiences with the Rivendell Jack Brown’s (blue label), I’m a pretty big guy and they roll great on any surface (including gravel). They feel relatively supple, too. No punctures as of yet (after several hundred miles). If you can get past the gimmicky checkerboard tread patter, these might be a good option.

avalonracing
08-11-2020, 06:25 PM
If you are looking for a similar ride quality to a Gatorskin Hardshell I would recommend a wooden wagon wheel with a steel belt.

charliedid
08-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Nothing better in that category IMO just buy a new pair.

Maybe a Ruffy Tuffy.

robt57
08-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Hutchinson Override Tubeless if you can live without the tanwall. When you pump them up the edge require quit the lean to engage. But if you wander off for prolonged non pave, lower the pressure as low as you want pretty much, and the edges get to work on softer surfaces. Best in class for best of both surfaces for me.

For all pavement, I run Jack Browns 33s, Soma Supple Vitesse 38s with latex tubes. Plan to try the GK Slicks at some point based on the raves.

FWIW, I choose the EX on the Somas, figured they'd be like the SL casing option soon enough with wear, almost.

And if you want some real glide, the 40mm Maxxis Re-fuse I liked for when I was not trying to spin them fast for long rides. Lottsa holes, all sealed in winter shoulders use. They are big fat, and a bit porky for my 2 cents.

Gators came off fast for me, flat more than All Seasons and the feel of any hard case tire to me, not an ingredient for enthusiastic desire to ride, life to short.

jpw
08-12-2020, 02:07 AM
Nothing better in that category IMO just buy a new pair.

Maybe a Ruffy Tuffy.

You mean another pair of CGH? I would, but I want more volume, and they top out at 32, and that's a nominal 32. They inflate to 30.5. Letter to Continental.

jpw
08-12-2020, 02:11 AM
If you are looking for a similar ride quality to a Gatorskin Hardshell I would recommend a wooden wagon wheel with a steel belt.

Yes, they're a compromise. I've had only two punctures in the last three years though. One was a two inch nail (nothing stops those), and a piece of glass shaped like a shark's tooth.

jpw
08-12-2020, 02:17 AM
This may seem a little odd, but I’ve had really good experiences with the Rivendell Jack Brown’s (blue label), I’m a pretty big guy and they roll great on any surface (including gravel). They feel relatively supple, too. No punctures as of yet (after several hundred miles). If you can get past the gimmicky checkerboard tread patter, these might be a good option.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/jack-brown-blue-700c-x-33-333-tough-10092-blue

Are they true to nominal sizing in your experience? 33.333 is a great number, but if came out at 33.332 it wouldn't be big enough fr my needs. I'm ideally looking for something a tad bigger for extra volume and lower pressure riding. The tread pattern 'looks' nice, but I'm not sure it would provide me with the grip I need for the variable terrain I'm rolling over.

Panaracer seems to be everywhere.

jpw
08-12-2020, 02:27 AM
Hutchinson Override Tubeless if you can live without the tanwall. When you pump them up the edge require quit the lean to engage. But if you wander off for prolonged non pave, lower the pressure as low as you want pretty much, and the edges get to work on softer surfaces. Best in class for best of both surfaces for me.

For all pavement, I run Jack Browns 33s, Soma Supple Vitesse 38s with latex tubes. Plan to try the GK Slicks at some point based on the raves.

FWIW, I choose the EX on the Somas, figured they'd be like the SL casing option soon enough with wear, almost.

And if you want some real glide, the 40mm Maxxis Re-fuse I liked for when I was not trying to spin them fast for long rides. Lottsa holes, all sealed in winter shoulders use. They are big fat, and a bit porky for my 2 cents.

Gators came off fast for me, flat more than All Seasons and the feel of any hard case tire to me, not an ingredient for enthusiastic desire to ride, life to short.

Gators are an acquired taste. I have none LOL.

https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/gravel-cyclocross/tire/overide-bike-standard

In the bead selection section what is 'FB' and 'WB'? F, W? Does the tread tend to capture 'peas'?

40mm would be too big for my clearance.

sg8357
08-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR, tubeless but is rated higher than Gator Hard Shell,
20 points vs. 18 points.

per Bicycle Rolling Resistance

Toddtwenty2
08-12-2020, 07:38 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Plus's ride like a brick, but the Marathon Supremes are quite nice. They have more flat protection than something like compass due to a puncture protection layer, but are still very light with supple sidewalls.

I've used Marathons. Very good protection, but a bit heavy. Thanks.

charliedid
08-12-2020, 07:57 AM
You mean another pair of CGH? I would, but I want more volume, and they top out at 32, and that's a nominal 32. They inflate to 30.5. Letter to Continental.

Ah nevermind I'm sorry. I did not read close enough...

Gravel King in that case.

jpw
08-12-2020, 08:03 AM
:beer:Ah nevermind I'm sorry. I did not read close enough...

Gravel King in that case.

Robot870
08-12-2020, 08:42 AM

Ha! I tried those things and they made my life miserable - Talk about horrible!

jpw
08-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Ha! I tried those things and they made my life miserable - Talk about horrible!

They're not that bad ;)

robt57
08-12-2020, 10:31 AM
https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/gravel-cyclocross/tire/overide-bike-standard

In the bead selection section what is 'FB' and 'WB'? F, W? Does the tread tend to capture 'peas'?

Folding and Wire I'd assume. Not had them hold any stone, chips etc. I have run them more as extreme winter tire at higher pressures. And a few times let lots of air out for some woods play. I am happy with them.

I am running the 35mm tubeless hardskin.

azrider
08-12-2020, 11:01 AM

They're not that bad ;)

Dude for real........Gator's are a little rough, but man I'll take a little rougher ride over higher susceptibility to punctures any day

robt57
08-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Wagon wheel? Maybe @ 120 PSI, I know folks that still think that is preferred, power to them.

I do get a kick of how extreme analogies get so out there though.

Frankly even with latex tubes I don't find the GranPrix4/5 are the nicest riding either. All seasons next, then gators then hard shin gators. Now my Vit paves with latex ride notably 'nice', but cut easily and last terrible, as in don't last.

I've ridden test rides on 23mm specialized Armadillo once, ONCE! Eeks. Felt like solid and not pneumatic to me. And some Schwalbes [forget the ones] I've heard feel wonderfully solid too... so I've read/heard.

.RJ
08-12-2020, 12:14 PM
They're not that bad ;)

compared to what? :D

charliedid
08-12-2020, 12:30 PM
In a blind taste test i can’t tell the difference between a 4Season and Gatorskin.

azrider
08-12-2020, 12:34 PM
In a blind taste test i can’t tell the difference between a 4Season and Gatorskin.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/duM6JZemPlOjUyqmxd/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lhdj27q1nqk551dr2kbcbps7mumg sk2nj0z60kfz&rid=giphy.gif

.RJ
08-12-2020, 12:35 PM

the 4 season sucks, too.

charliedid
08-12-2020, 01:06 PM
the 4 season sucks, too.

:banana:

robt57
08-12-2020, 01:47 PM
What do they actually taste like?

Just a guess; that riders are running crazy high PSi rolling is a good bet with wagon wheel feel being analogous??

Without stating each of our rolling weight, tire size used, and PSI employed, all the taste testing is superfluous pretty much.

azrider
08-12-2020, 01:56 PM

the 4 season sucks, too.

my my...............

https://i.imgflip.com/4b90sj.jpg

cp43
08-12-2020, 03:24 PM

This is how I felt about the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes I had for a while. I'm not that picky about tires either, they're the only tire I've ever felt rode harshly. If puncture protection is much more important than ride quality, Marathons are a good choice, IMHO.

Chris

robt57
08-12-2020, 03:27 PM
If puncture protection is much more important than ride quality, Marathons are a good choice, IMHO.

Chris

I can change a flat roadside in a few minutes most. I can totally see the attraction for a rider to have tire not likely to flat. Ride quality not as important if they can't change a flat.

charliedid
08-12-2020, 03:59 PM
I can change a flat roadside in a few minutes most. I can totally see the attraction for a rider to have tire not likely to flat. Ride quality not as important if they can't change a flat.

Really? You think everyone who chooses "durable over ride quality" is unable to fix a flat?

charliedid
08-12-2020, 04:00 PM
my my...............

https://i.imgflip.com/4b90sj.jpg

Srsly

Fixed
08-12-2020, 04:39 PM
There once was a time when we used heavy tires and wheels for training and pulled out the( Good )light stuff for race day

(If I remember correctly)
Good riding and cheers to all

robt57
08-12-2020, 04:50 PM
Really? You think everyone who chooses "durable over ride quality" is unable to fix a flat?

Really, you construed that I said that?? :confused:

charliedid
08-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Really, you construed that I said that?? :confused:

Seems I did because it seems you did. :eek:

robt57
08-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Seems I did because it seems you did. :eek:

I guess I forgot to insert the if/when.

Not to mention how many flats I have fixed on group rides so we could get rolling in 3-4 minutes instead of 15-20..

charliedid
08-12-2020, 07:59 PM
I guess I forgot to insert the if/when.

Not to mention how many flats I have fixed on group rides so we could get rolling in 3-4 minutes instead of 15-20..

I got ya.

We killed this one I think :)

.RJ
08-12-2020, 09:04 PM
my my...............

I'm not a conti hater I promise :D

But those two particular tires... good grief I had awful luck on them. I have conti x-kings on my mountain bike and been pretty pleased with them. Loved the 4000's on road. Shrug.

jpw
08-13-2020, 02:22 AM

The aforementioned garden hose variety of rubberised hell on wheels ;)

azrider
08-13-2020, 09:42 AM
I'm not a conti hater I promise :D

But those two particular tires... good grief I had awful luck on them. I have conti x-kings on my mountain bike and been pretty pleased with them. Loved the 4000's on road. Shrug.

No I hear ya. All in good fun.

I've ridden plenty of tires (the majority ;)) that are wayyyy more comfy than my Gatorskins but with goat heads being so prevelant out here I just got fed up with the cushy, plush ride of some tires and opted for these.

running 28's at 85 psi helps a little.............(but not much)

Big Dan
08-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Those Hardshell Continentals are rough, maybe use them in the back.
Gatorskins are not that bad for training miles.
4 seasons I like, 28's at 80 psi.
The fancy Vittorias always let me down.