PDA

View Full Version : Bike shop repair: how long do I wait?

Tz779
08-08-2020, 09:16 AM
I dropped off a new steel frame i had made for me in Italy to have headtube prepped and headset installed. That was two weeks ago, and no call yet. I have a feeling head mechanic does not really want to do it. I overheard him say to junior mechanic he was afraid of chipping chrome on head lugs.

I understand Im not the only customer, and they have lots of repairs.

Too busy there today; my plan is to rescue it Tuesday if not done yet, and call around to another pro shop who will do it, even if it means a drive to FL! Naturally Im anxious to build it!

Comments, thoughts?
Robin

ERK55
08-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Sounds like there may be 2 separate issues there.
Of note o good local shop quoted me a wait of up to 3 weeks as they are swamped with work.
If the guy is afraid of marring your frame....

BobbyJones
08-08-2020, 09:54 AM
It's a reasonable concern, the chrome chip thing.

The bigger question is why a new steel frame made for you in Italy needs any "prep" at all, besides maybe a quick derailleur hangar alignment check, etc. ?

merlinmurph
08-08-2020, 09:58 AM
Have you called? Any contact at all?

Maybe it's done...

robt57
08-08-2020, 10:30 AM
I'd be as concerned about it being laying about in a very bust shop for such a huge window. More times it gets in the way and moved to higher likelihood of some shop scuff-age, or worse etc.

I'd visit, and if it seem safe, just have a conversation I'd say, minimally. If safe in the box stiff out of the beat and path etc, breath easier...

AngryScientist
08-08-2020, 10:38 AM
consider this a learning experience:

1) a brand new handbuilt frame should not need the head tube faced. that builder should do that before sending the frame out the door.

2) whenever you drop an item off for service, or enter into any kind of a service agreement for that matter - have a clear understanding of how much it will cost and when it will be done. then you can decide if that timeframe and cost is reasonable to you.

3) if i overheard the head mechanic with doubts about how to handle a new custom frame, i would have taken it and left. these days most bike shops see carbon fiber, aluminum and other low end consumer grade bikes. knowing how to work on, prep, handle and treat a high end steel frame with classic components is just not in everyone's wheelhouse anymore.

4) i'm not being harsh, just trying to be helpful, i understand the new bike anticipation, i hope you get it sorted and out on the road soon! good luck!

Ozz
08-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Maybe the mechanic should just check to see if the head tube needs facing? Install headset yourself....lots of homemade headset press designs online.

Should be quick and pretty low chance of chipping the chrome.....

robt57
08-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Are said lugs chrome plated or polished stainless??

Peter P.
08-08-2020, 11:23 AM
The bigger question is why a new steel frame made for you in Italy needs any "prep" at all, besides maybe a quick derailleur hangar alignment check, etc. ?

Italian frames have a reputation for not having the quality of frame prep seen in American frames.

And that's compounded by the chrome. Chrome is very hard and tough on tools. If you face and ream the head tube before chroming, the chroming will reduce the I.D. to undersized spec. I don't know if typical facing and reaming tools can handle chrome.

Perhaps an experienced framebuilder can chime in here on what's feasible.

Tz779
08-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Maybe the mechanic should just check to see if the head tube needs facing? Install headset yourself....lots of homemade headset press designs online.

Should be quick and pretty low chance of chipping the chrome.....

no, i tried! ID of head tube is 29.9mm, Record HS OD is 30.2mm. Def needs reaming.

Its in its Bubble-Pak bag in the office. out of sight, out of mind.

I think i will go over and rescue it. If he has not done it, I dont think he will.

Thanks for everyone’s input!
Robin

Tz779
08-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Are said lugs chrome plated or polished stainless??

chrome plated

Hindmost
08-08-2020, 11:47 AM
There was a time when the local 'pro' bike shop had the tools, knowledge, and experience to do this stuff. Not anymore.

What's the condition of the bottom bracket?

(PS: Sounds like you have reason to be confident in the ability this particular shop.)

charliedid
08-08-2020, 11:47 AM
I dropped off a new steel frame i had made for me in Italy to have headtube prepped and headset installed. That was two weeks ago, and no call yet. I have a feeling head mechanic does not really want to do it. I overheard him say to junior mechanic he was afraid of chipping chrome on head lugs.

I understand Im not the only customer, and they have lots of repairs.

Too busy there today; my plan is to rescue it Tuesday if not done yet, and call around to another pro shop who will do it, even if it means a drive to FL! Naturally Im anxious to build it!

Comments, thoughts?
Robin

Give a call or shoot an email.

Things are upside down right now.

charliedid
08-08-2020, 11:51 AM
And just because you overheard the bit about chipping chrome doesn't imply anything about abilities and might be more about caution which is always a good thing.

$ and timeframes are always "estimates"

Tz779
08-08-2020, 12:45 PM
There was a time when the local 'pro' bike shop had the tools, knowledge, and experience to do this stuff. Not anymore.

What's the condition of the bottom bracket?

they have a full campy toolset. they have a collection of steel bikes, including a 7-Eleven “Murray” made by Masi. The head mechanic is not a “kid” id say early “fifty-something.” In biz since 1972. BB looked OK tho i did not try treading mine on...should have them chase it, whomever does it.
R.

unterhausen
08-08-2020, 02:38 PM
I have faced many frames and I would be concerned about facing a chrome head lug. Italian chrome doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation.

colker
08-08-2020, 02:56 PM
they have a full campy toolset. they have a collection of steel bikes, including a 7-Eleven “Murray” made by Masi. The head mechanic is not a “kid” id say early “fifty-something.” In biz since 1972. BB looked OK tho i did not try treading mine on...should have them chase it, whomever does it.
R.

Sit and wait. Head mechanic will do it when he will do it.

Tz779
08-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Sit and wait. Head mechanic will do it when he will do it.

yes, i think so....
fin

ultraman6970
08-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Interesting is taking that long IMO. Is like 10 minutes... 30 minutes if you go super slow and careful due to the chrome. But seen chromed stuff prep and doesnt take that long either, just go super slow and a lot of oil.

Call them and ask. Well could be an issue with the posibility of bust the tools due to the chrome. And if that's the case always you can ask them if thats the problem, just an honest question that deserves an honest answer.

Good luck with this one.

Tz779
08-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Interesting is taking that long IMO. Is like 10 minutes... 30 minutes if you go super slow and careful due to the chrome. But seen chromed stuff prep and doesnt take that long either, just go super slow and a lot of oil.

Call them and ask. Well could be an issue with the posibility of bust the tools due to the chrome. And if that's the case always you can ask them if thats the problem, just an honest question that deserves an honest answer.

Good luck with this one.

I messaged them thru their website. If they have sharp tools, and I would think by now they would be carbide, chrome plating should not be a big prob. Its not a car bumper, its a bike lug!

They have a lot of repairs, the shop is full of bikes, all repairs! I have waited a long time for my frame to be built, i can wait a little longer. Maybe they had to send the cutters out for sharpening! hahah!

Velocipede
08-08-2020, 06:46 PM
If it were my shop or I was the wrench there, I would've stopped what I was doing and done the frame right then and there. Having a frameset laying around is too much of a risk for damage. Unless they are hanging it on a wall out of the way of anything that could touch it, I wouldn't even trust it in an office. I've had stuff damaged in my office and I have very few things protruding or sharp out. Bikes and frames are hung up along a wall. Wheels, same or over a bench. I hate worrying about things getting damaged. I would've done it immediately.

NOW, that said, shops are absolutely swamped still. And they are getting new bikes in and are trying to get those done as well as the dozens of repairs they have. So I get why they'd be busy and haven't done it or called. I would just stop in and ask them if they were finished. If they had a time frame. If needed anything. Maybe they are missing a tool? Who knows.

Just stop in and ask.