PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Visual Assistance Required

Rpoole8537
08-07-2020, 02:46 PM
I have just set up a Sony Bravia TV, Denon Stereo and Panasonic DVD player in my bonus room. I cannot get the TV which uses an Amazon Fire to stream YouTube TV and Netflix to play through the stereo, even after switching the TV menu to "external Speakers" and switched the stereo menu to TV. The stereo is connected to the TV via RCA cables. I have also tried an optical cable. The DVD player, which is connected to the TV with HDMI cable will play through the stereo. So, the TV is sending audio from the DVD player to the stereo. The Fire, of course, is connected to the TV with HDMI. The Denon receiver, is pre HDMI, but it does have Component video inputs that I have not tried. I think I have thrown all component video cables in the garbage. What have I missed in this setup? Thanks for all opinions and advice.

C40_guy
08-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Did you configure the Denon video inputs for specific audio options?

DVD player uses the optical input
Television uses aux input (where you've got the RCA cables plugged in)

Keep plugging away at it. I can tell you that my Denon 1913 will take audio out from my tv and send it to zone 2 on the receiver (second room).

Hope this helps...

Lee

josephr
08-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Double check your HDMI inputs on the TV and look for one marked HDMI-ARC. The HDMI ARC (audio return channel) goes straight to your receiver and everything should be good. if you use the optical output from the DVR/DVD player, your sound may be asynchronous for movies, but if you're just listening to music without the tv on, it won't matter. Hope this helps.

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2020, 08:03 AM
It’d probably be simpler to get a new cheap AVR to replace.

Rpoole8537
08-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Double check your HDMI inputs on the TV and look for one marked HDMI-ARC. The HDMI ARC (audio return channel) goes straight to your receiver and everything should be good. if you use the optical output from the DVR/DVD player, your sound may be asynchronous for movies, but if you're just listening to music without the tv on, it won't matter. Hope this helps.

The receiver doesn't have HDMI. I unplugged the optical cable. thinking it might have conflicted with the TV audio outs. That did not work, but the DVD player still plays through the receiver and speakers.

Assigning the outputs might be the solution. And, the Denon manuals are not user friendly. This was a receiver that I bought for my son when he was in college, and he lost both the mannual and the remote. But, I have found some manual materials online.

Rpoole8537
08-08-2020, 09:05 AM
It’d probably be simpler to get a new cheap AVR to replace.

Not a bad idea!

Rpoole8537
08-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Did you configure the Denon video inputs for specific audio options?

DVD player uses the optical input
Television uses aux input (where you've got the RCA cables plugged in)

Keep plugging away at it. I can tell you that my Denon 1913 will take audio out from my tv and send it to zone 2 on the receiver (second room).

Hope this helps...

Lee

Assigning outputs may be the answer, I feel like there is a conflict somewhere. I unplugged the optical cable, and the DVD player still plays sound through the receiver and speakers. So, the receiver is getting an audio feed from the TV. What is the impact of the Amazon Fire stick being plugged into the HDMI? Should it be HDMI ARC? Not sure.

My living room receiver is a Denon 2808, and everything goes through the receiver via HDMI, except CD and turntable. So much easier!
Thanks for the input!

josephr
08-09-2020, 08:59 AM
The receiver doesn't have HDMI. I unplugged the optical cable. thinking it might have conflicted with the TV audio outs. That did not work, but the DVD player still plays through the receiver and speakers.

Assigning the outputs might be the solution. And, the Denon manuals are not user friendly. This was a receiver that I bought for my son when he was in college, and he lost both the mannual and the remote. But, I have found some manual materials online.

gonna second the advice to get a new AVR with hdmi aplenty...Costco.com has some good deals on Denon right now.

jkbrwn
08-09-2020, 09:08 AM
An HDMI audio extractor is your friend. Google them. Self explanatory.

Rpoole8537
08-10-2020, 09:20 AM
An HDMI audio extractor is your friend. Google them. Self explanatory.

This appears to meet my needs. Any brand recommendations. If it were my main system, I would buy a new receiver. But, it’s a bonus room setup. Not sure of how much use it will get.
Thanks!

jkbrwn
08-10-2020, 11:09 AM
This appears to meet my needs. Any brand recommendations. If it were my main system, I would buy a new receiver. But, it’s a bonus room setup. Not sure of how much use it will get.
Thanks!

To be honest, they all do the same kind of thing. It's not something that needs to be high end. This is nice because it has SPDIF out, Optical out and 3.5mm out:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter/dp/B07KRWYN4R/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor+optical&qid=1597075712&sr=8-5

ScottW
08-10-2020, 11:50 AM
I just bought one of the $15-16 HDMI audio extractors on ebay. Needed one that had RCA audio outs to connect to the 1980s Sony receiver in my garage.

ultraman6970
08-10-2020, 11:57 AM
https://thehometheaterdiy.com/hdmi-audio-extractors/