PDA

View Full Version : Neutrons vs. Shamals

Plum Hill
08-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Been riding Neutrons for many years. I’ve come across a pair of ‘09 Shamals in Ti finish that would look good on the Ottrott (about as “bling” as I get).
Curious how the aluminum spokes would ride compared to the Neutrons.
Tires would be 25mm Open Corsa; roads chip-and-seal to asphalt bike trails.

Tickdoc
08-07-2020, 10:14 AM
Been riding Neutrons for many years. I’ve come across a pair of ‘09 Shamals in Ti finish that would look good on the Ottrott (about as “bling” as I get).
Curious how the aluminum spokes would ride compared to the Neutrons.
Tires would be 25mm Open Corsa; roads chip-and-seal to asphalt bike trails.

my shamals are the newer two way black ones and they are bomb proof. I love my old neutrons too, but the shamlas are light, fast, and very robust.

Hilltopperny
08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
I have owned both and the Shamals are a little lighter, stiffer stronger. If the neutrons are ultras then the same hubs. Both are great wheelsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinomaster
08-07-2020, 11:40 AM
I have Neutrons and Shamals and I rarely use my neutrons at this point as the shamal's are so much more fun to ride. You do feel bumps more with shamals but it's worth it I think.

carpediemracing
08-07-2020, 12:10 PM
I don't have personal experience with the two of them but a good friend of mine (M50+ Cat 3? at the time) had steel spoke Eurus and then got alum spoke... Shamals? I don't remember the second set model name.

Anyway, although the alum wheels were nice and light, they also felt slow albeit just at higher speeds. I think aero data verifies that.

My friend ended up getting rid of his Shamals and keeping the much older Eurus.

I mention this because I was the one that recommended him the Eurus in the first place, after I got a set. I was seriously considering "upgrading" to the alum spoke wheels and based on his feedback, plus riding a couple other alum spoke wheels as well as a fiber one (Spinergy SPOX), decided to stay with my Eurus.

If you're just riding along, no biggie, and in fact it'd be a cool set of wheels. If you're doing thinking functionally then it might be a factor.

thirdgenbird
08-07-2020, 12:15 PM
The steel spoked eurus wheels are fantastic. I would love a mint silver set.

Ozz
08-07-2020, 12:26 PM
The steel spoked eurus wheels are fantastic. I would love a mint silver set.
I concur....I have a black set on my Legend. Been trouble free for 15+ years.

shinomaster
08-07-2020, 12:49 PM
I don't have personal experience with the two of them but a good friend of mine (M50+ Cat 3? at the time) had steel spoke Eurus and then got alum spoke... Shamals? I don't remember the second set model name.

Anyway, although the alum wheels were nice and light, they also felt slow albeit just at higher speeds. I think aero data verifies that.

My friend ended up getting rid of his Shamals and keeping the much older Eurus.

I mention this because I was the one that recommended him the Eurus in the first place, after I got a set. I was seriously considering "upgrading" to the alum spoke wheels and based on his feedback, plus riding a couple other alum spoke wheels as well as a fiber one (Spinergy SPOX), decided to stay with my Eurus.

If you're just riding along, no biggie, and in fact it'd be a cool set of wheels. If you're doing thinking functionally then it might be a factor.

The terrain you ride on will affect this. Where I live I have a lot a climbing and Shamals are some of the best climbing wheels you can get for the money. I probably wouldn't use them for a time trial or a flat crit but for just riding around on a beautiful day they a stellar. THe new Zondas are basically like the older Eurus with the steel spokes and they are amazing for the money and probably more aero than Neutrons or Shamal. The OP likes the aesthetics of the Grey color paired with a Ti frame and that makes sense to me.

tylercheung
08-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Just for my basic reference, is the lineup is something like:

Neutron - entry level ("105-ish wheels")
Shamals - mid level, light but affordable ("ultegra-ish wheels")
Bora - high end, expensive ("Dura-ace-ish wheels")?

shinomaster
08-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Neutrons are still top of the line alloy wheels w/ record hubs, just old school that's all.

thirdgenbird
08-07-2020, 01:02 PM

They all have record hub guts. It’s just shallow, medium and deep depth.

Plum Hill
08-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Definitely “old school” here. I like the looks of shallow rim wheels and still haven’t quite warmed up to the G3 spoking.
My performance days are long behind me. I used to say I was “half fast” but even that’s past.
Only negative with the Shamals is the asking price ($1495). Definitely not a bargain for 11 year old wheels. I haven’t tried negotiating yet.

Hilltopperny
08-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Definitely “old school” here. I like the looks of shallow rim wheels and still haven’t quite warmed up to the G3 spoking.
My performance days are long behind me. I used to say I was “half fast” but even that’s past.
Only negative with the Shamals is the asking price ($1495). Definitely not a bargain for 11 year old wheels. I haven’t tried negotiating yet.

Shamals can be found new for $795, but of course these are out of stock! https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-shamal-ultra-c17-clincher-wheelset/11275987.html
Some Milles for a little more

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-shamal-mille-c17-clincher-wheelset/11374007.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinomaster
08-07-2020, 01:24 PM

I could sell you some lightly used Neutron Ultras for much cheaper!! 😮