PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of/into a Lynskey

doomridesout
08-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Lynskey’s never-ending sake has me tempted to get a mountain bike. Who has recent Lynskey experiences, particularly with the Pro 29 and Live Wire?

Hilltopperny
08-07-2020, 08:56 AM
I purchased one of their helix style hardtails a few years ago and built it up rigid. It was a nice riding bike and the quality for money is hard to beat. Made in the USA titanium frames and may not be as bling as some other builders, but it’s a mountain bike. If the geo looks good to you then give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker72
08-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Both of my Lynskey's are road bikes so no mountain bike experience. They ride nice, well constructed, and don't break.

Wait till later in the year and they will start discounting 30%.

Veloo
08-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Don't have an MTB.
They're good value only if you buy during one of their discount periods.
My head tube did need some refacing tho.

old_fat_and_slow
08-07-2020, 09:47 AM
No experience with mountain bikes, but I have a Lynskey-built Eddie Merckx that is 25 years +, in age and still going strong. They make a good product despite the lack of love on this forum.

sokyroadie
08-07-2020, 10:53 AM
I was going to buy a gravel frame and had some questions, said they would check and get back to me. A week later no response so I went a different route.

EB
08-07-2020, 11:15 AM
At $4500 for a complete GX build with a Rockshox Pike, you can likely get a more capable, more modern full suspension mountain bike elsewhere for the same money, FWIW.

nortx-Dave
08-07-2020, 11:21 AM
I'm another happy Lynskey road bike owner. 10 + years and 70,200 miles later I'm still happy. No issues with the frame or with customer service

doomridesout
08-07-2020, 11:22 AM

doomridesout
08-07-2020, 11:36 AM
At $4500 for a complete GX build with a Rockshox Pike, you can likely get a more capable, more modern full suspension mountain bike elsewhere for the same money, FWIW.

I know, but I’m really looking for the “gravel+” XC experience for long days exploring on and off dirt roads, not something to hit jump features. And titanium is the siren metal... plus I have a custom build planned, not whatever GX build they’re pushing. $1600 for a brand new ti frame and headset with warranty seems pretty good, IMO.

Fixed
08-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Check my old friends you tube channel the gravel cyclist he reviews And owns one .
He likes it
he has very refined taste in bikes
Cheers
https://youtu.be/GzrOUoY7PYo

SlowPokePete
08-07-2020, 04:22 PM
Mine has 17,000+ miles in two years (GR260) with no problems.

I also have a Lynskey built Kona Raijin that I beat the crap out of riding rigid single speed for quite a few years...also, never any problems.

I am not a fan of their marketing (sales / combo deals / etc) style, but it is a well made, quality product, at a good price, made here in the USA by a family with deep roots in the bicycle industry.

SPP

bthomas515
08-07-2020, 04:45 PM
I bought a helix on a whim and LOVED it. Set 4 Kom’s on a route I’ve ridden >150 times. Bought a lynskey gravel frame, sold the helix (in a day) and the dude backed out :/ Been my one bike sale regret

djg21
08-07-2020, 04:52 PM
I bought it in 2007. I recently broke the drive-side chainstay — the weld cracked. Lynskey was prepared to replace the frame under its lifetime warranty, but I asked if I could replace it with a gravel frame. Lynskey agreed to let me order a Race GR frame for an incredibly reasonable upgrade fee and also is selling me a Lauf Grit fork at a really good price. Since my R460 had a custom bead-blasted finish, Lynskey even threw in the anodized blue graphics. I’ll be receiving the frame soon and building it up over the fall/early winter.

I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a Lynskey were I in the market for a hardtail. I used to ride a Merlin hardtail years ago when 1” stems and Manitou elastomer forks were the state of the art, and that bike was great. I’d love to test ride a full suspension Lynskey, but I’m not sure Ti and full suspension makes much sense. There are a lot of bikes in the price range your considering. You should ride some!

Bob Ross
08-07-2020, 05:56 PM
Talk you out of one?

For as long as I've been a cycling enthusiast, the party line on Lynskeys was, they're the Ti bike you buy when you can't afford a good Ti bike.

Talk you in to one?

Um... they won't kill your children!

barnabyjones
08-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Don't buy a Lynskey mountain bike.

doomridesout
08-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Don’t get me wrong, if I had my druthers it would be a Potts but that’s not in the cards.

pooneej
08-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Talk you out of one?

For as long as I've been a cycling enthusiast, the party line on Lynskeys was, they're the Ti bike you buy when you can't afford a good Ti bike.

Talk you in to one?

lol whoa!?!

Latestart
08-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Sorry it's another road testimonial. My first Ti Bike. Probably put 4-5k on it, will be selling the frame here soon as I switched it for a Ottrott. But no compliants at all, nice reliable, no breakage and I weigh 225lbs.

djg21
08-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Talk you out of one?

Talk you in to one?

What party is that? The party of people who are impressed by, and pay premiums for, names on downtubes so they can they can impress their friends? P.T. Barnum had a special name for those kinds of people.

BTW, those other companies fabricating Ti frames wouldn’t even exist but for David Lynskey. I’ve had the opportunity to ride many Ti bikes over the years including some with those marquis names on downtubes, including the ones built in Steamboat Springs and the ones that used to be built right here in Saratoga. The R460 was the best riding Ti bike I have ever ridden. There are certain things I’m willing to pay extra for. A name on the downtube is not high on my list.

Kirk007
08-07-2020, 09:24 PM
I have a rigid 29er frame I picked up about three years ago. Good frame for the $$ particularly when on sale. I think it's a good choice for what you're looking for - solid frame without paying for extra bling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

whateveronfire
08-07-2020, 09:27 PM
I have a Cooper (sorta gravel, sorta cross). Love it. Glad I didn’t spend more for the name. It’s a very good bike. One that has outlasted many including a Peg and Speedvagen.

commonguy001
08-07-2020, 09:32 PM
If the geometry works, it’s a great frame for the coin. I have a bunch of miles on a Urbano I bought from them off eBay and it was fantastic. Had I not wanted to run 29er tires on my drop bar, I’d still have it.

My only comment about Lynskey is they were not fast with delivery, it took a number of emails and nearly two months to get the frame. Really wouldn’t have been an issue but I was leaving for a two week trip and it literally showed up the day before we left after ordering two month prior.

wallymann
08-07-2020, 09:34 PM
but I'm pleased, bordering on impressed.

welds look strong, if workmanlike in appearance. it is straight. it is solid. the geometry works for me.

it's not fancy, but it didn't cost fancy dollars. oh, and the stickers peel right off! ;-)

doomridesout
08-07-2020, 10:21 PM
and the stickers peel right off! ;-)

But that damn stupid twisted downtube is forever... If not for that I wouldn't have thought twice.

zambenini
08-08-2020, 05:46 AM
But that damn stupid twisted downtube is forever... If not for that I wouldn't have thought twice.

I saw a guy with a Lynskey MTB with a twisted downtube rolling thru my neighborhood. I flagged him down and we talked about it. It was a sick build. Like you, I am no fan of the twisted tube, but the bike looked stunning in person. I wouldn't kick one out of bed! I would be proud to ride both their current Pro29 or Livewire. Litespeed Pinhoti is on sale right now, too.

I think one of the main reasons I went with my Waltly instead of one of those was to save a couple hundred bucks off the frame when I was on a tight budget, plus I really needed to just transfer all my parts over exactly from my previous bike without having to switch cranks or wheels and go thru that whole rigamarole. Great frames, all.

XC bikes rule. I still ride them on MTB trails! I see their appeal over gravel bikes now, too, and if I wanted to do a little offroad touring or even some onroad touring, I would consider riding an xc bike.

I took the cheapest route with my Ti MTB and I wasn't disappointed. The welds on the Waltly are amazing. I doubt the tubes are as light/engineered as Moots, but the bike is lighter and rides just as well or better than my steel 29er did. I am pretty much all mountain all the time now, too and bike rides feel less stressful in the cars-versus having little kids at home calculus, and more special to boot. Do it, Doom.

jpw
08-08-2020, 06:21 AM
Check my old friends you tube channel the gravel cyclist he reviews And owns one .
He likes it
he has very refined taste in bikes
Cheers
https://youtu.be/GzrOUoY7PYo

..but not a thing of beauty, which is a personal aesthetic taste consideration, but it's not pretty.

wallymann
08-08-2020, 08:01 AM

indeed. mine has straight tube profiles, the helix stuff aint for me but some like it.

mdeth1313
08-08-2020, 08:17 AM
Had a horrible experience buying a helix (road), ended up going through my bank (credit card) to force them to take it back. I have a few friends that have them and really like them. My dealing was probably unique because the sales manager at the time was a former car salesman and I believe they've since parted ways with that a--hole, but I'll never buy one.

mtb_frk
08-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Anyone know how long it takes from order to delivery now? I keep debating if I should get one or not.

cgates66
08-09-2020, 06:19 AM
I have an R480 and am very happy with it. Customer service is responsive, it’s made in USA which is important to me, and it fits me very well. Very comfortable and I like the handling. I’d not hesitate to buy from them again.

It took a few weeks (6 maybe? I don’t remember exactly) from order to delivery.

grateful
08-09-2020, 07:04 AM
What was the name Barnum used? Sorry for my ignorance but I would like to share with my kids!

What party is that? The party of people who are impressed by, and pay premiums for, names on downtubes so they can they can impress their friends? P.T. Barnum had a special name for those kinds of people.

BTW, those other companies fabricating Ti frames wouldn’t even exist but for David Lynskey. I’ve had the opportunity to ride many Ti bikes over the years including some with those marquis names on downtubes, including the ones built in Steamboat Springs and the ones that used to be built right here in Saratoga. The R460 was the best riding Ti bike I have ever ridden. There are certain things I’m willing to pay extra for. A name on the downtube is not high on my list.

djg21
08-09-2020, 07:13 AM
What was the name Barnum used? Sorry for my ignorance but I would like to share with my kids!

“Suckers”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wallymann
08-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Anyone know how long it takes from order to delivery now? I keep debating if I should get one or not.

2019 data:
order confirmation may-06
shipment confirmation jun-04

djg21
08-09-2020, 07:35 AM
2019 data:
order confirmation may-06
shipment confirmation jun-04

Like many other companies, Lynskey has been impacted by COVID-19, and was working with a reduced staff for a time. Bike delivery was put back a handful of weeks. The OP should call Lynskey and ask when he can expect delivery.

Manolom21
08-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Don't forget to use the 20% promo they have available if your buying from their website.

I may purchase a stem from them

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

doomridesout
08-11-2020, 01:03 PM
I talked them into an additional $150 off the sale on a Live Wire so we’ll see. Need to find a 130 Boost fork now.

shrimp123
08-11-2020, 01:19 PM
recently got a GR300 from them. It was a good experience and no surprises. It came within a week of promised date.... and they were nice enough to hold back (on request) on stem and seatpost till i got my fit right.

the bike rides nice and it up2mark on that price range.