PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 10s shifter spring replacement?

fmradio516
08-07-2020, 07:30 AM
So I picked up a set of 10s shimano shifters from a friend who just picked em up from someone else. The left shifter seems to have something funky going on with its return spring. It constantly stays in the open position(like if someone was hammering on the brakes). If I try to return it to the normal resting position, it kind of softly springs back to the open position.

My buddy said that when the brake cable was attached and on the built up bike, It looked normal. This only happened when the bike was disassembled.

Any fixes for this shimano era? This is outta my wheelhouse, but all we used to do at the shop for shimano stuff was blast it with spray cleaner and fresh lube. Not sure if thats the issue as it feels like theres some sort of spring pulling the lever open instead of closed.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner if anyone thinks thats a good idea :banana:

unterhausen
08-07-2020, 08:46 AM
My understanding is that Shimano doesn't supply parts like this. Be glad if someone knows differently.

Ken Robb
08-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Is it a shift lever or the brake lever?

weisan
08-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Just go ahead and install the brake cable and connect to the brakes...if the spring of the brake is strong enough to pull back the shifter where it seems "normal" again...then don't sweat it...build it, ride it, forget it.

cmbicycles
08-07-2020, 01:27 PM
The spring on the pivot could be installed wrong, or broken/bent. As long as the lever moves smoothly, there isnt much you can do besides check that area... and no spare parts unless you have a donor lever.

Look585
08-07-2020, 02:25 PM
SJS Cycles in the UK (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-ultegra-st6600-return-spring-left-hand-6k2-8710) lists a few return springs, specifically, 6600 Left is available.

The shimano techdocs for ST-6600 indicate this works with a number of other levers (105-10s, Ultegra 9s, Dura Ace 10s) and possibly others not listed.

Finding a dead lever might be your best option. The campy-philes often lament the lack of STI servicability, so I'm sure there are buckets of dead levers at your co-op...:)

Perhaps share the specific model number you are looking at and someone might help?

dddd
08-08-2020, 12:18 AM
Shimano STI levers have had brake return springs that are very hard to get into preloaded position at the pivot during reassembly. I suspect strongly that one end of the spring is on the wrong side of it's resting position ledge inside of the lever body.

They even offered a special tool for this, but I was always able to coax the end of that spring into properly-preloaded position using tools at hand, only difficult because this had to be done as the lever pivot shaft was being installed.

oldpotatoe
08-08-2020, 06:40 AM
Shimano STI levers have had brake return springs that are very hard to get into preloaded position at the pivot during reassembly. I suspect strongly that one end of the spring is on the wrong side of it's resting position ledge inside of the lever body.

They even offered a special tool for this, but I was always able to coax the end of that spring into properly-preloaded position using tools at hand, only difficult because this had to be done as the lever pivot shaft was being installed.

This gizmo..slide over the spring end, push lever, compressing spring, line up pin holes, put pin back in...I'm thinking the spring may have come out of the 'hole' and these springs are pretty common.

As for the 'suggestion' that just hook it up, go ride and forget about it..if it were a front brake, and you put on front brake and for some reason the caliper DIDN'T open, that could be 'bad', same for rear..Fix it right, no hacks, electrical tape or zipties...:)

fmradio516
08-08-2020, 02:40 PM
SJS Cycles in the UK (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-ultegra-st6600-return-spring-left-hand-6k2-8710) lists a few return springs, specifically, 6600 Left is available.

The shimano techdocs for ST-6600 indicate this works with a number of other levers (105-10s, Ultegra 9s, Dura Ace 10s) and possibly others not listed.

Finding a dead lever might be your best option. The campy-philes often lament the lack of STI servicability, so I'm sure there are buckets of dead levers at your co-op...:)

Perhaps share the specific model number you are looking at and someone might help?

Oops yeah that would have been helpful. Its an ST-7800

That sure sounds like it. Its springy in the opposite direction that it should be. Reversed. So the spring might be fine, but needs to be put in its place. Any videos or tutorials on how to accomplish this?

This gizmo..slide over the spring end, push lever, compressing spring, line up pin holes, put pin back in...I'm thinking the spring may have come out of the 'hole' and these springs are pretty common.

As for the 'suggestion' that just hook it up, go ride and forget about it..if it were a front brake, and you put on front brake and for some reason the caliper DIDN'T open, that could be 'bad', same for rear..Fix it right, no hacks, electrical tape or zipties...:)

Thanks! Yeah i wanna fix it "good". Any tips where to start with getting it back in place? Is in #6 in diagram above?

jc031699
08-09-2020, 12:27 PM

That’s really funny. I have one of those in my small parts organizer and never knew what it was. No idea where it came from either.

Peter, where exactly does it go? I’m not sure I can tell from looking at a 6600 shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc031699
08-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Nevermind I figured it out, that is the spring installation tool ST-TL02

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6JA0A-000-ENG.pdf

jc031699
08-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Oops yeah that would have been helpful. Its an ST-7800

That sure sounds like it. Its springy in the opposite direction that it should be. Reversed. So the spring might be fine, but needs to be put in its place. Any videos or tutorials on how to accomplish this?

Thanks! Yeah i wanna fix it "good". Any tips where to start with getting it back in place? Is in #6 in diagram above?

See my linked pdf above, clear step by step instructions

fmradio516
08-09-2020, 03:15 PM
See my linked pdf above, clear step by step instructions

Thanks, yeah I see now. The little nub on the spring isnt in place like it is on the other shifter. When I tried disassembling, the wee 2mm allen head stripped out :(

So im gonna live with it. Thanks anyway!

oldpotatoe
08-10-2020, 06:30 AM
That’s really funny. I have one of those in my small parts organizer and never knew what it was. No idea where it came from either.

Peter, where exactly does it go? I’m not sure I can tell from looking at a 6600 shifter.

Hard to describe..yu put the spring around the little 'stub' of the lever pivot, with spring into 'hole', then that gizmo over the spring end and push the lever into position, winding up the spring, then push pin thru.

jc031699
08-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Cross referencing from across the hall

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/works-progress-whats-bike-stand-today-40418-34.html

fmradio516
08-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Cross referencing from across the hall

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/works-progress-whats-bike-stand-today-40418-34.html

Thanks, very good reference but i think the wee allen head is stripped slightly. In the middle of a move(happening this week), and that stuff hasnt been packed yet, so I might list the group for sale for cheap today.