PDA

View Full Version : Chainstay and crankarm clearance White Ind. VBC road double

Stevemikesteve
08-06-2020, 07:45 PM
I'm piecing together a canti BMC Monster Cross. Frame takes up to 700 x 50 tire. I have a 122.5 spindle length BB installed. Arm clearance and chainring clearance outside chainstays look ample, I measured clearance at 10mm outside the chainstay on drive and non-drive.

I don't have a ton of knowledge about Q factor but despite what appears to be an overly generous spindle length, as far as I can tell from a quick caliper measurement the Q is White Ind's advertised 150mm for the VBC crank.

Is there any disadvantage to leaving the wide spindle length or is there an argument for going narrower to close the chainstay clearance gap? FD will be a pretty standard Sram rival from some older 10 speed stuff I have. Curious what spindle length others might be running on VBC road doubles with standard 68mm bb shell

zzy
08-06-2020, 07:47 PM
I ran a 113mm and it was the absolute smallest that would fit with double chainrings.

Stevemikesteve
08-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Wow so at least going down to a 118 should be easy for me. Thanks.

donevwil
08-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Biggest issue may be sketchy shifting and noise when cross-chained big-big, that long a spindle with your setup will yield a wide chainline. As far as your knees (and/or hips) everyone is different, some people have no issue while others, like me, have major issues with wide Q's.

Ride it and see, 113 BBs (also what I use on my BMC MX with WI road VBC 46-32) are easy to find and relatively cheap.

nalax
08-06-2020, 09:01 PM
I'm running a 68 x 108 BB with 44/28 VBC on a Gunnar Crosshairs. You can find Q and chainline info for different BB lengths at http://www.whiteind.com/techdocs