PDA

View Full Version : Compact or sub compact rings for Campagnolo 8spd

Hilltopperny
08-06-2020, 01:18 PM
After taking my Columbine out today I realized that I would like to swap the current 52/39 for something more hill friendly. My other bikes all have a wider range and I really enjoy the ride of the bike, but would prefer something in the 50-46 big ring and 36-32 small. It would likely get ridden more if I did so.

Anybody ever try this out with the old 8spd campy? If so what rings did you use and are they still available? I know some have said stronglight rings worked with 10spd, but not sure the same goes for the older 8spd stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
08-06-2020, 01:23 PM
you're not getting any smaller than 38t inner on a standard 135BCD campy crankset.

modern cranksets work perfectly fine with older drivetrains, in fact i'm using a new campagnolo 12-sp chorus crankset with an otherwise 9 speed drivetrain.

that said, to keep the aesthetics of that bike looking proper, i would get an IRD defiant subcompact. they come in 46/30, have great rings, are affordable and would look at home on that bike.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/59/89/9159895b3ca244ae8d45fea4c7cb2aba.jpg

slowpoke
08-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Your BCD on the existing cranks are going to limit how small you can go. You're better off swapping out the entire crankset, esp with Campy's notorious offset bolt.

If you have a standard 110 BCD crankset, there's an eBay seller bikinGreen, who's making 46/30 chainrings for that size: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=bikingreentw&LH_PrefLoc=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499338.m570.l1313&_nkw=chainring&_sacat=0

Hindmost
08-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Is this where I bring up triples?

cinema
08-06-2020, 02:12 PM
there is a 50T one. there are a couple on ebay but $$
39 smallest you can go due to bcd

i found this on ebay. looks good but wonder if a double left shifter would work on it
may need longer spindle too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sims-Lite-ning-triple-izer-reducer-135bcd-x-42t-30t-inner-chainring/164040540248?hash=item2631940058:g:ZbcAAOSwmdteJcC 9

Hilltopperny
08-06-2020, 02:30 PM
I have a 10spd centaur silver crankset here with standard 53/39 rings. Would I be able to use any of these ring options on this crankset? I like the Silver Campagnolo on this bike aesthetically.

Wattvagen
08-06-2020, 02:34 PM
I have a 10spd centaur silver crankset here with standard 53/39 rings. Would I be able to use any of these ring options on this crankset? I like the Silver Campagnolo on this bike aesthetically.

Nope - those will use the same 135BCD as your current crankset.

Hilltopperny
08-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the help folks!

AngryScientist
08-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Hey Adam, if you want to keep it campy, you should buy these immediately.

for a very short period of time, campy made a ST compact crankset that used a traditional 110bcd like shimano.

they are very rare and hard to find, and this person has one for sale here:

they are like unicorns and sell for much more than he is asking:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=256157

Hilltopperny
08-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Hey Adam, if you want to keep it campy, you should buy these immediately.

for a very short period of time, campy made a ST compact crankset that used a traditional 110bcd like shimano.

they are very rare and hard to find, and this person has one for sale here:

they are like unicorns and sell for much more than he is asking:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=256157

Thanks for the heads up Nick!

Spaghetti Legs
08-06-2020, 03:06 PM
I’m using the IRD Defiant 46-30 crank pictured above on an 8 speed Record Ergo. The shifting is great and only minor issue is rare chain suck, which I’ve never had in any OEM Campy cranks.

I’m also using one Velo Orange compact on a 6 speed Campy friction group and another on a 10 speed Campy group, all work great. I wouldn’t expect any issues on using this with 8 speed.

Edit: I will add that I’m using a long cage Racing T RD on the 8 speed with a 13-26 cassette. I think a short cage RD would be fine with a 50-34 crank (like on my 10 speed set up).

Hilltopperny
08-06-2020, 03:27 PM
I’m using the IRD Defiant 46-30 crank pictured above on an 8 speed Record Ergo. The shifting is great and only minor issue is rare chain suck, which I’ve never had in any OEM Campy cranks.

I’m also using one Velo Orange compact on a 6 speed Campy friction group and another on a 10 speed Campy group, all work great. I wouldn’t expect any issues on using this with 8 speed.

Edit: I will add that I’m using a long cage Racing T RD on the 8 speed with a 13-26 cassette. I think a short cage RD would be fine with a 50-34 crank (like on my 10 speed set up).

Good to know. I am using the standard chorus 8spd rd with a 13-26 already. If I can get a compact crankset it should do the trick.

Mark McM
08-06-2020, 03:31 PM
You options for smaller chainrings are quite vast. However, they all require either new cranks, or converting your current cranks to a a triple (which also requires some other parts).

As mentioned, there are many compact and sub-compact cranks available that will fit your bike, and some of these use square taper spindles. But if you want to stick to silver alloy campagnolo cranks, here are your options:

Triple cranks:

Campagnolo made square taper triple cranks in 8spd and 9spd, sometimes labeled as "Racing Triple". If you go this route, you'll also need a longer BB spindle, and a triple front derailleur. (All 8spd Ergo shifters are compatible with triple front derailleurs.) You'll probably also need a long cage rear derailleur, as an 8spd double rear derailleur won't enough capacity. Or, if you wanto the crank to match your current group, you can use a triple-izer chainring on your current cranks which allow you to mount a 3rd inner ring. You'll still need the longer BB spindle, triple front derailleur and long cage rear derailleur.

Double cranks:

As noted above, Campagnolo made a Veloce square taper crank with a standard 110mm BCD. This will allow smaller chainrings down to 34 teeth (might even fit a 33). You can likely use your existing BB and front derailleur.

Campagnolo has a number of silver alloy "hidden 5th bolt" chainrings compact cranks. These are available in the Veloce, Centaur, Athena and Potenza groups, most with a Ultra Torque spindle, some with a Power Torque spindle. You'll need a new BB, but BBs are available to fit threaded BB shells. These cranks use Campagnolo specific chainrings, and can fit chairings down to 34 teeth. Again, you can use your existing front derailleur.

If a 34 tooth chairing is small enough, the Veloce square taper Compact crank is probably your best bet. If you want a smaller chainring, than the triple-izer on your current cranks might be your options.

Hindmost
08-06-2020, 04:28 PM
:
Triple cranks:

Campagnolo made square taper triple cranks in 8spd and 9spd, sometimes labeled as "Racing Triple". If you go this route, you'll also need a longer BB spindle, and a triple front derailleur. (All 8spd Ergo shifters are compatible with triple front derailleurs.) You'll probably also need a long cage rear derailleur, as an 8spd double rear derailleur won't enough capacity. Or, if you wanto the crank to match your current group, you can use a triple-izer chainring on your current cranks which allow you to mount a 3rd inner ring. You'll still need the longer BB spindle, triple front derailleur and long cage rear derailleur.

I've gone this route a few times with 8 speed and 10 speed. It's the route to go to get down to it 30 tooth or lower chain ring. A good idea when you're up against the limit of a 26 tooth rear cog. Which brings to mind, I think it's Miche that makes an 8 speed Campy cassette with a 28.

I have put a bash guard on the outer chainring position to make the set up a functional double.

Mark McM
08-06-2020, 07:17 PM
I've gone this route a few times with 8 speed and 10 speed. It's the route to go to get down to it 30 tooth or lower chain ring. A good idea when you're up against the limit of a 26 tooth rear cog. Which brings to mind, I think it's Miche that makes an 8 speed Campy cassette with a 28.

I have put a bash guard on the outer chainring position to make the set up a functional double.

Yes, a big limitation to 8spd Campagnolo is that the biggest cassette they made was 13-26. You can get low gearing by using a sub-compact double crank, but then you loose out on the high end (with the 13 tooth sprocket) if the sub-compact crank has only a 46 or 48 tooth big chainring. To get a low gear and still have a reasonable high gear, you have to go to a triple. This is why triples were much more popular with 7spd and 8spd cassettes.

As noted above, Miche does make a 13-28 Campagnolo compatible 8spd cassette, but that's only a little bit lower than a 13-26 (and doesn't shift quite as well).

choke
08-07-2020, 08:28 AM
My solution is to use a Campy MTB crank. They take standard 110/74 rings.

Yes, a big limitation to 8spd Campagnolo is that the biggest cassette they made was 13-26.Campy did make a 13-34 8sp cassette for their MTB group. However, they are extremely rare and seldom found for sale. When they do appear they go for serious money. The last used one that I saw on ebay went for around $170.

http://www.bikerecyclery.com/nib-nos-campagnolo-o-r-mtb-8-speed-cassette-13-34t-record-icarus-euclid-centaur/