PDA

View Full Version : Rolling out dent in a tapered tube

Gsinill
08-05-2020, 07:56 PM
I have a Serotta Atlanta frame that has a dent in the seat tube.
Since it is CC tubing, the ST is tapered.
Is there any way to roll the dent out despite the shape of the ST?
I could probably fabricate a tubing block that matches the profile of the tube but this would be major PITA.

I guess I know the answer :(

muz
08-05-2020, 08:06 PM
One thing in your favor: it's the seat tube, so you can usually work on the dent from the inside. You would have to fashion a tool with a shaft inserted from the top, with an eccentric mandrel that you can rotate to push on the dent. You may have to attach it to the shaft from the bottom bracket shell.

Gsinill
08-05-2020, 08:27 PM
One thing in your favor: it's the seat tube, so you can usually work on the dent from the inside. You would have to fashion a tool with a shaft inserted from the top, with an eccentric mandrel that you can rotate to push on the dent. You may have to attach it to the shaft from the bottom bracket shell.

You are right, didn't think about that!
Thanks!

oliver1850
08-05-2020, 09:55 PM
I think it might be possible but besides the rolling die you would have to fabricate a stop to clamp on the smaller end of the dent to prevent the rolling die from walking down the taper.

unterhausen
08-05-2020, 11:56 PM
I have a tool to take out seat tube dents. Seems to be something I need occasionally. Mine is a pipe with a wedge on the end like a quill stem. It works. Making it the right taper shouldn't be too hard. Doesn't have to be exactly the correct size because it gets bigger when you tighten the wedge.