PDA

View Full Version : ST crank bolt question - what do you call this thing?

AngryScientist
08-05-2020, 11:33 AM
My square taper campagnolo crank arms have the crank bolts as below, with the black plastic cap things.

i would like those black parts to be silver, as the black is an eye sore on an otherwise nice looking silver crank.

my google skills are failing me. what do i want to buy?

https://www.sefiles.net/merchant/370/images/large/CK028.jpg

scoobydrew
08-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Cap or collar

cmbicycles
08-05-2020, 12:15 PM
You need campy crank bolts. Those black plastic rings snap onto a recess on the bolt, I dont think I've ever seen them in silver. Get some self extracting crank bolts with aluminum extractor rings and you can get silver/red/pink/etc. I'm not sure if the extractor rings would fit your existing bolts or not, and there is often a washer between them ring/bolt.

ultraman6970
08-05-2020, 12:24 PM
If you can put your hands in self extracting ones from shimano, campagnolo or suntour that would be great IMO.

ColonelJLloyd
08-05-2020, 12:36 PM
If you can put your hands in self extracting ones from shimano, campagnolo or suntour that would be great IMO.

This. Or Rene Herse (not self extracting)

Ralph
08-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Those aren't Campagnolo. Proper silver crank arm bolts are usually on E bay. Not cheap. On certain older cranks, arms were self extracting, but were a smaller bolt head than the non self extracting. Regular Campy crank arm bolts look great. You will have to get the bolts for your crank arms. Using a crank arm puller is simple.

EDIT....Regular non extracting Campy crank arm bolts use a 8 MM allen to take off. Believe the self extracting use a 7. I've got one of the Record self extracting cranks in my garage, and an 8 MM allen won't remove it.

AngryScientist
08-05-2020, 12:44 PM
i think i've got it worked out.

yes, i just pulled these cranks with my puller, no problems there.

cmg
08-05-2020, 12:51 PM
as long as the bottom bracket is campy and crank arms are as well then you can use the originals like these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Campy-Crank-Bolts-for-Square-Tapered-Bottom-Bracket-with-Washers/391896141556?hash=item5b3ed48ef4:g:rG4AAMXQbXtRCPO B:sc:USPSFirstClass!78254!US!-1

Didn't know i could sell them separately. next you'll see the washers and bolts sold individually.

mktng
08-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Get some sugino 75 chrome crank bolts !

Velocipede
08-05-2020, 01:28 PM
My square taper campagnolo crank arms have the crank bolts as below, with the black plastic cap things.

i would like those black parts to be silver, as the black is an eye sore on an otherwise nice looking silver crank.

https://www.sefiles.net/merchant/370/images/large/CK028.jpg

Angry,

They did make those black dust caps in silver. I have them if you want. But I also have the silver Campy ones and I have silver self-extracting ones as well. If you want something let me know.

boywander
08-05-2020, 02:49 PM

https://www.sefiles.net/merchant/370/images/large/CK028.jpgThose are shimano or generic bolts that usually doesn't even have washers. I have one silver cover laying around some where. You could get first gen XTR to bolts that has plain covers but you'll need to machine down the covers to fit campag cranks.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
08-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Those ones are good, same with suntour chromed ones.

Get some sugino 75 chrome crank bolts !

oldpotatoe
08-06-2020, 07:16 AM

Campagnolo self extractors were left threaded, most shimano ones were for octastink..oversized BB sindle..

Get some 15mm crank bolts and washers..PM me, I have a bunch...and they say 'Campagnolo', which is more better. :)