PDA

View Full Version : OT: Yo-Yo Ma

davids
02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Whoa Whoa Ma!

I saw him last night, playing Shostakovich's Cello Concerto #1 with the Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra. It is difficult, modern, pyrotechnical music.

"Virtuoso" does not begin to describe the passion, joy and sheer artistry he brought to his performance. It was wonderful. It was sublime. I'm in awe.

See this guy if you can.

stevep
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
gaulzetti told me he also invented the yoyo.
made a killing on it and then learned to play he cello.
is that true?
s

where did you see him?

BURCH
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Are you talking about the Smother's Brothers? That yo yo man?

Grant McLean
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
See this guy if you can.

he gets it.

g

David Kirk
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I met him at a restaurant near Tanglewood a bunch of years ago. Very nice man.........gave my mother-in-law an autograph.

Dave

OldDog
02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Last night I saw another fantastic fidd'n fellow, David Bromberg, with his Big Band, on his Reunion tour. A hot show. "Virtuoso" of all things stringed.

julia
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
he is my 6 foot, 14 year old nephew Jordan's hero. . .

proud aunt julia

William
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Prelude (From the Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007) / Yo-Yo Ma 2:28

William

davids
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
gaulzetti told me he also invented the yoyo.
made a killing on it and then learned to play he cello.
is that true?
s

where did you see him?
c was stringing you along. get a clue about the guy, why don't you?

I think the place used to be called Hancock Hall - Everything's getting generic names these days... Yeah, here's the link (http://www.proarte.org/gala.html); It's the Back Bay Events Center now. Not a bad hall. We were in the penultimate row (how many times do you get to use that word properly?) and the sound was a bit soft, but not muffled at all.

Supposedly the guv was there, but he had better seats. Hizzoner was supposed to attend, but he was busy reaming out the Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

CNY rider
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I met him at a restaurant near Tanglewood a bunch of years ago. Very nice man.........gave my mother-in-law an autograph.

Dave

And did you reciprocate?

jhcakilmer
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I've seen him at Tanglewood, at BSO concerts....I just never got tired of hearing him play, just amazing!!! Possibly my favorite classical soloist! I saw the Canadian Brass, and while not the same, they were also absolutely outstanding! Concert was a lot of fun, one to remember!

catulle
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Plain Yo...

dbrk
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I would see him walking through Harvard Yard many years ago, invariably towards his practice room. Kids would recognize him and with admiration yell, Yo! Mama!! And he would smile, take it for what it was ('cause he knows his name is not like our Euro-names and he's got a fine sense of humor, dignity, etc.) and sometimes wave back. I was not a Yo! Mama yeller but I do recall walking by him, recognizing him, and realizing that greatness looks "ordinary" except it's not.

'Saw him again not long ago with the Rochester Philharmonic and his skills and artistry only continue to get better. I wish the same for us all but wonder if my own meager abilities will mature and evolve with as much grace even though they lack such talent.

Cause for meditation, I suppose. I'll put on the Bach Concertos he plays...oh my.

dbrk

72gmc
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Good for you, davids. I'd love to see him in concert.

catulle
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
As much as I love Keith, for the pic that I just posted on a Yo Yo thread I'll listen to him playing Bach and traditional Japanese music for a whole week.

chrisroph
02-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Lucky you. That sounds like a fantastic opportunity. There is nothing like hearing and seeing a virtuoso playing an acoustic instrument, preferably unamplified.

Has anybody seen Chris Thile play the mandolin? The kid has the gift from god.

mcteague
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I saw, and heard, him with the Baltimore Symphony several years ago. He and David Zinman got along very well. I actually prefer Anner Byslma, Heinrich Schiff and Mstislav Rostropovich but YYM has done a lot to bring in those who are not big on classical music.

Tim McTeague

jwprolo
02-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I actually prefer Anner Byslma, Heinrich Schiff and Mstislav Rostropovich but YYM has done a lot to bring in those who are not big on classical music.

+ Jacqueline du Pre.
Start off with Yo-Yo Ma, move on to expolore those who are a bit more sensitive with the instrument.

inGobwetrust
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
He's a member of the club I used to manage. Nice guy.

fiamme red
02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I saw, and heard, him with the Baltimore Symphony several years ago. He and David Zinman got along very well. I actually prefer Anner Byslma, Heinrich Schiff and Mstislav Rostropovich but YYM has done a lot to bring in those who are not big on classical music.

Tim McTeagueFor Bach, my favorites are Schiff, Pablo Casals, Pierre Fournier, Paul Tortelier, Maurice Gendron, Pieter Wispelwey, and Janos Starker.

mcteague
02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
For Bach, my favorites are Schiff, Pablo Casals, Pierre Fournier, Paul Tortelier, Maurice Gendron, Pieter Wispelwey, and Janos Starker.

Checkout the Bach Cello Suites by Rostropovich! I generally avoid the "big" names as they put too much of their own personality into the music but not this time. This set is a nice compliment to the period instrument version by Bylsma.

http://tinyurl.com/38j7fs

Tim McTeague

ergott
02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Checkout the Bach Cello Suites by Rostropovich! I generally avoid the "big" names as they put too much of their own personality into the music but not this time. This set is a nice compliment to the period instrument version by Bylsma.

http://tinyurl.com/38j7fs

Tim McTeague

Nice set, I have it too.

RIHans
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Is it me , or are the truely great ones usually humble?

sjbraun
02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Our son, Willie, started playing the cello in third grade. He came home from school one after attending an introduction to string instruments workshop. I want to play the cello, he announced. You need to fill out these papers. My wife and I looked at each other, shrugged and figured we see if this passed. A week later, the paperwork was due. Willie marched into the kitchen. mustering as much force as an 8 year old can, he said I told you I want to play the cello. You need to finish these papers tonight. We got the message.
Now, our son is 19 and a freshman at ASU, studying cello performance.
For much of his last year at home, he played the Bach cello suites. I can't begin to tell you how delightful it is to fall asleep each night to the sound of Bach's cello masterpieces coming form the next room.

Go Yo-Yo, go Willie.

Steve-in Tucson where there are very many excellent musical organizations for young musicians

peter weigle
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Is it me , or are the truely great ones usually humble?
Yo-Yo-Ma was interviewed on NPR last week. His comment could have been about music, framebuilding, painting or any other craft.
He talked about "moments of humility" he has had as a musician. Like the time he was asked to record with Mark O'connor and several others. At the end of the first session Yo-Yo was stoked and said "that was great, what do you guys think"?---Silence, (it was a different style of music for Yo-Yo) and the group had to tell one of the greatest musicians of our time that he missed it! and needed to get "inside the piece" in order to play it with the subtle feelings the composer had intended. Yo-Yo said he had to practice a lot before he could do it! He said it was a time in his career where he thought "he got it,,, before he got it". He went on to say this has happened many times over in his career.

This all struck a chord with me as a frame builder. There were times 10 or 20 years ago when I thought I knew it all and "got it", only to realize that the more I knew the more I had to learn. I guess thats true of most things in life.

mcteague
02-02-2007, 10:01 AM
This all struck a chord with me as a frame builder. There were times 10 or 20 years ago when I thought I knew it all and "got it", only to realize that the more I knew the more I had to learn. I guess thats true of most things in life.
To me that is the definition of maturity. As a youth you know it all, but as you grow up you realize that the more you learn the less you really know. When I first ventured out into the world I found most people much less intelligent than my classmates at mostly private schools. I started thinking I was actually fairly smart. As the years rolled by I realized that there is a world of stuff I know next to nothing about. Just try reading books on Quantum Mechanics, and I mean the stuff aimed at the general public. Still, I find that realization sort of comforting in an odd way. Now, I mostly settle for just touching the surface of topics I find interesting instead of feeling I have to learn it all.

Tim McTeague