PDA

View Full Version : SRAM AXS price reduction

Dave
08-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I notice that SRAM has reduced the list price for their AXS road equipment. Some USA sellers have dropped prices on the 3-piece group by over $400. Most or perhaps all Euro sellers won't sell to USA buyers.

I need a project to work on, so I though about trying the 3 piece Force group, but using my Campy 48/32 crank, as a test bike. I already have a SRAM 10-36 cassette on one bike.

The shift levers are so much different, I'm thinking that it may be tough for a 25 year Campy user to make the switch.

bfd
08-04-2020, 12:17 PM
I notice that SRAM has reduced the list price for their AXS road equipment. Some USA sellers have dropped prices on the 3-piece group by over $400. Most or perhaps all Euro sellers won't sell to USA buyers.

I need a project to work on, so I though about trying the 3 piece Force group, but using my Campy 48/32 crank, as a test bike. I already have a SRAM 10-36 cassette on one bike.

The shift levers are so much different, I'm thinking that it may be tough for a 25 year Campy user to make the switch.

You can do it! I have been riding Campy forever and a few years ago built up a bike with Sram etap. I have to admit that when I go back and forth with my Campy bikes, it takes like a shift or two to adjust, but that's it.

Further, with AXS 12,I believe you can changing the shifting patterns. So with etap/AXS, the if you want easier gears, you shift the left lever. With campy you shift the right inner lever. But with AXS, you can change the lever direction so that if you want to go to an easier gear, make it the right lever. Then shift the left lever for harder gear!

Too bad Sram abandoned etap 11 as that's a nice feature. Good Luck!

FlashUNC
08-04-2020, 12:24 PM
It's really a simple switch. Not much retraining that needs to happen.

mistermo
08-04-2020, 12:36 PM

I switch freely between Campy and SRAM eTap with no issues. You'll be fine. BUT... What is this 48/32 crankset? Chorus makes one?

Dave
08-04-2020, 01:00 PM
I switch freely between Campy and SRAM eTap with no issues. You'll be fine. BUT... What is this 48/32 crankset? Chorus makes one?

Campy came out with a 48/32 chorus crank last July, when I bought two chorus groups, for less than the price of one Force AXS group.

SRAM is apparently not confident that their FD will shift a 16T difference, but some people are doing it with other cranks. They're giving up range with the 13T limit.

I already use the AXS chain with no problem.

mistermo
08-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Campy came out with a 48/32 chorus crank last July, when I bought two chorus groups, for less than the price of one Force AXS group.

SRAM is apparently not confident that their FD will shift a 16T difference, but some people are doing it with other cranks. They're giving up range with the 13T limit.

I already use the AXS chain with no problem.

That's great! Are you using the AXS chain on a Campy cassette too, or SRAM? The system I'd like to put together is a 48/32 front, Campy shifters, derailleurs, front and rear, and an AXS 10-33 cassette. A 48-10 is slightly taller than a 50-11, which is all I need. If you're running an AXS chain with Campy derailleurs and crankset, you're proving to me that my mongrel system has merit.

Dave
08-04-2020, 01:19 PM
That's great! Are you using the AXS chain on a Campy cassette too, or SRAM? The system I'd like to put together is a 48/32 front, Campy shifters, derailleurs, front and rear, and an AXS 10-33 cassette. A 48-10 is slightly taller than a 50-11, which is all I need. If you're running an AXS chain with Campy derailleurs and crankset, you're proving to me that my mongrel system has merit.

Yes, the AXS chain works with the Campy crank or cassette. The 48/10 is the same as a 53/11, so you get the traditional top gear.

mistermo
08-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Yes, the AXS chain works with the Campy crank or cassette. The 48/10 is the same as a 53/11, so you get the traditional top gear.

I'm derailing your post, sorry, but do you suppose a 12s Eagle chain would work better with a Campy 12s cassette than an AXS 12s chain? I've read the AXS 12s flat top chain is an unusual critter.

On another road bike, I'm running 46T single ring in the front, and a 10-45 Shimano 12s cassette in the back with Eagle 12s chain, AXS Eagle derailleur and AXS shifters. The 12s 10-45 is a very usable range for road or gravel and the jumps are good.

Dave
08-04-2020, 02:25 PM
The Campy 12 chain may be a bit narrower than the eagle and it works with an eagle 12 quick link. The wider eagle won't have quite as much side clearance.

The only difference with the AXS chain is it's narrower than any other 12 speed chain and has rollers that are .006 inch larger in diameter. I've ridden about 2000 miles with it on a Campy 12 cassette and crank and always had great shifting. I still find the AXS to be the quietest chain.

Others have reported no problem with a Campy 12 chain and AXS cassette.

SPOKE
08-04-2020, 05:50 PM
I switch between ETap, EPS, Di2, & mechanical Shimano & campy very often. You’ll screw up a shift once or twice on a ride then your brain starts working.....

Kyle h
08-04-2020, 06:34 PM
My build in the works is AXS shift group, 11-29 Campy 12sp cassette and chain, and 50/34 Easton crank and rings

Kirk007
08-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Wolf tooth now lists axs flat chain compatible chainrings for Shimano and other 130 and 110 BCD rings so that makes conversion easier.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bardo
08-05-2020, 10:37 AM
My build in the works is AXS shift group, 11-29 Campy 12sp cassette and chain, and 50/34 Easton crank and rings

I was considering the same setup: converting my 1x EC90 crankset to 2x with Easton chainrings and running the Force AXS groupset.

Were you able to confirm with Easton that their chainrings works with a 12 speed chain? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

Dave
08-12-2020, 04:55 PM
I've done a lot more looking for the force 3 piece build kits and found one source that was $600 off the usual $1650 price. By the time you add a crank, cassette, chain and brakes, an electronic group is still about twice the price of chorus12, so you have to decide if it's worth it.

I've been bitten by the electronic bug, so I now have two Sramanolo groups. One has the 10-36 SRAM cassette and the other will have a Campy 11-34, for awhile. I'm hoping that Campy will make a 10-36 cassette with better sprocket spacing than the SRAM.

The force front derailleur has been shifting my 48/32 chorus 12 crank just fine.

weisan
08-12-2020, 05:04 PM
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/sram-force-etap-axs-2x-d1-road-groupset-12-speed-mechanical-brake?gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMYtkWAnggsAbF9 gP__D3tAtlwi0FwTOw_7dKHujs8pmuG6SAaOsi7hoCNSAQAvD_ BwE

Dave
08-12-2020, 05:23 PM
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/sram-force-etap-axs-2x-d1-road-groupset-12-speed-mechanical-brake?gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMYtkWAnggsAbF9 gP__D3tAtlwi0FwTOw_7dKHujs8pmuG6SAaOsi7hoCNSAQAvD_ BwE

That's where I bought one group. Totally legit and fast delivery (signature required), but limited units available.

For those who missed my last update, the standard RD only needs a 25mm long B screw to use a 10-36 cassette. There is no short and medium cage. All are 70mm.

R3awak3n
08-12-2020, 06:22 PM
That's where I bought one group. Totally legit and fast delivery (signature required), but limited units available.

For those who missed my last update, the standard RD only needs a 25mm long B screw to use a 10-36 cassette. There is no short and medium cage. All are 70mm.

what you mean?
Force now has a medium cage RD that supports a 36T cassette. That said not surprise the short cage one does as well.

Dave
08-12-2020, 06:59 PM
what you mean?
Force now has a medium cage RD that supports a 36T cassette. That said not surprise the short cage one does as well.

I said that there is no medium cage. I have one and it measures exactly the same 70mm as a short cage. The difference is in the length of the B screw. A 5mm longer screw insures adequate clearance with a 36 tooth sprocket. I bought an M4 button head screw, 25mm in length for 85 cents, ground the head down to a smaller diameter, and replaced the 20mm B screw. Both models have the same 39T wrap capacity, but I run a 42T combination with it.

I bought a "medium cage" model, just in case I needed it. I will be returning it because I don't need it, since it's NOT a medium cage. It does have 36T written on it.

R3awak3n
08-12-2020, 07:44 PM
I said that there is no medium cage. I have one and it measures exactly the same 70mm as a short cage. The difference is in the length of the B screw. A 5mm longer screw insures adequate clearance with a 36 tooth sprocket. I bought an M4 button head screw, 25mm in length for 85 cents, ground the head down to a smaller diameter, and replaced the 20mm B screw. Both models have the same 39T wrap capacity, but I run a 42T combination with it.

I bought a "medium cage" model, just in case I needed it. I will be returning it because I don't need it, since it's NOT a medium cage.

interesting... thats good to know.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2020, 06:20 AM

What?? Non disc and 2by?? Is that even legal??:)

preludervtec
08-14-2020, 02:17 PM

I bought a "medium cage" model, just in case I needed it. I will be returning it because I don't need it, since it's NOT a medium cage. It does have 36T written on it.

Dave, is there anyway you can take side by side photos comparing the 2 derailleurs? Maybe a video with you shifting through a 10-36 cassette with the standard Force AXS derailleur?

Dave
08-14-2020, 04:52 PM
Dave, is there anyway you can take side by side photos comparing the 2 derailleurs? Maybe a video with you shifting through a 10-36 cassette with the standard Force AXS derailleur?

No point in that. I measured both the cage length and parallelogram pivot points. All were the same. All they did was install a longer B screw and mark 36T on it. I sent it back, unused, to get a complete refund.

Now I have my second bike running with axs 12 and an 11-34 Campy cassette.

mistermo
08-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Now I have my second bike running with axs 12 and an 11-34 Campy cassette.

What's the advantage of this vs a SRAM 10-33 cassette? Merely because you had it already?

Dave
08-14-2020, 05:44 PM
What's the advantage of this vs a SRAM 10-33 cassette? Merely because you had it already?

Exactly. It also proves the either SRAM or Campy 12 shifting systems can use either brand of cassette. The 11-34 also has much better spacing of the sprockets, IMO. It has more 1T jumps and larger jumps in the big sprockets.

I noted earlier, that there's a chance than Campy will have a 10-36 cassette sometime in the future. If they do, it would be based on the 9-36 13 speed cassette, without the 9. It would have a 14T sprocket, that I would like to have. It will also require their new freehub body.

I have a moderate descent down from Estes Park to Loveland. It's common to be riding in the 25-29 mph range, right where the 14T would be nice to have, rather than a 13-15 jump.

mistermo
08-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Exactly. It also proves the either SRAM or Campy 12 shifting systems can use either brand of cassette. The 11-34 also has much better spacing of the sprockets, IMO. It has more 1T jumps and larger jumps in the big sprockets.

I noted earlier, that there's a chance than Campy will have a 10-36 cassette sometime in the future. If they do, it would be based on the 9-36 13 speed cassette, without the 9. It would have a 14T sprocket, that I would like to have. It will also require their new freehub body.

I have a moderate descent down from Estes Park to Loveland. It's common to be riding in the 25-29 mph range, right where the 14T would be nice to have, rather than a 13-15 jump.As I mentioned earlier, I'm about to assemble a Campy 12s mech group, 48/32 and run AXS 10-33 in the rear for the small gains at the high and low end of the range. I've not fully abandoned the idea of C12 11-34 though.

One consideration is system efficiency and think I recall reading someplace that 9 and 10 tooth cogs create more drag on the system than 11 or 12 (or larger). Am I imagining this or has this been addressed?

FlashUNC
08-14-2020, 05:53 PM
If you're at the point where you can turn a 48x10, drivetrain drag is not an issue to worry about.

Dave
08-14-2020, 07:14 PM
A 48/10 is the same as a traditional 53/11. I use it soft pedaling down some descents or as part of a brief run up to 50-54 on a steep downhill. With a 48/10 I pedal up to 42. With a 48/11, I quit pedaling at 38 and coast on up to 50.

Kyle h
08-15-2020, 05:41 AM
I was considering the same setup: converting my 1x EC90 crankset to 2x with Easton chainrings and running the Force AXS groupset.

Were you able to confirm with Easton that their chainrings works with a 12 speed chain? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

No answers from companies regarding compatibility, just reports of of other riders doing the same. I’m actually using Praxis rings though.

laupsi
08-15-2020, 07:31 AM
From Campy to SRAM? What’s happening to humanity?

Dave
07-22-2023, 03:36 PM
Bumping this old thread to correct my comments about the SRAM AXS 36T capacity RD and remind myself when I started using SRAM AXS, almost 3 years ago.

The difference with the 36T capacity RD is in what most call the B knuckle. The derailleur sits a little further back than the 33T model. The cage lengths are the same. I'm still using the two 33T models that I bought back then, with two early model 10-36 cassettes. These don't every even need a longer B screw. They have enough wrap capacity for 16T difference at the crank, plus 26 at the cassette.

I've also got one 36T model in use.

There's still the same type of partial force group in hydraulic, now being sold for around $900, but few are left.

Pinned
07-22-2023, 03:38 PM
Bumping this old thread to correct my comments about the SRAM AXS 36T capacity RD and remind myself when I started using SRAM AXS, almost 3 years ago.

The difference with the 36T capacity RD is in what most call the B knuckle. The derailleur sits a little further back than the 33T model. The cage lengths are the same. I'm still using the two 33T models that I bought back then, with two early model 10-36 cassettes. These don't every even need a longer B screw. They have enough wrap capacity for 16T difference at the crank, plus 26 at the cassette.

I've also got one 36T model in use.

I'm also using a 33t D1 Force AXS RD with a 10-36 out back and a 48/32 front. Thousands of miles. Runs great.