PDA

View Full Version : OT: Microphone for DSLR

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 09:21 AM
Does anyone have a good recommendation on an external microphone for DSLR video shooting?

Our county schools will be doing Fall Orchestra' audition via video submission. The one I have currently is a cheaper one. It does the job but seems to be picking up ambience noise compared to iPhones.

Is there a mid tier one that is not "professional priced"?

benb
08-04-2020, 10:27 AM
What camera do you have...

I have thought about this a bit but as a comparison to the iPhone my 5D Mark III seems to already have a better mic than the iPhone.

But I also have a Tascam DR-22WL ($79) that has a line out and can be mounted onto the hotshoe of the camera.

I never really use it with my DSLR but it is one of the X/Y Mic setups and it sounds way better than either the iPhone Mic or the one in my DSLR.

I just barely ever shoot video with my DSLR, the Tascam mostly just gets used for recording live music when I was getting together with friends to play.

The Tascam is confusing & the wireless is near useless though, just a dumb mic that went right into the mic in on the camera would be far easier and then control everything on camera.

I don't know a lot about this but I think you want more of a shotgun mic though.. what I've got is more for when you can just go throw the mic right on stage.

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 10:36 AM
I have the 5D Mk III as well.

The onboard mic is picks up noise from the lens so I got the the TAKSTAR-SGC-598 (https://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-SGC-598-Interview-Microphone-Camcorder/dp/B00E58AA0I)

It is an interview mic so it might not be as suitable for music recording.

benb
08-04-2020, 10:56 AM
You're talking about manual focus noise? Iris noise? Obviously the AF doesn't function during video so it shouldn't be that. Image stabilizer noise?

Basically any noise coming from the lens is likely something you're not supposed to be doing if you're filming the way this kind of camera is intended to be used.

What lens is it? I can't say I've really had any issues with mine, I do sometimes try to pull focus and other things I'm not really supposed to be doing.

The external mic should solve it but AFAICT I've never heard anything in my videos with the camera.

The stabilized lenses I have are the 24-105 f/4L, 35/2IS, and the 300mm F4/L IS.

The 300mm I would expect the mic to pick up the IS... that's an old & large lens and the IS is much louder, it predates any EOS digital camera. The newer lenses are way quieter.

But anything serious the camera goes on a tripod and the IS gets turned off anyway, I find the 5D pretty hard to use handheld and with that 300mm near 100% impossible.

An awful lot of the time I have a lot more fun just using a GoPro or the phone TBH.

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 11:45 AM
I usually shoot video with 24-105 f4L or the 70-200 f4L.

Yes the initial noise was from IS and I had to turn it off. The noise I think i am experiencing now is very low freq hummming.

maybe I need a bigger wind shield (the fluffy cover?)

thirdgenbird
08-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Totally different use case but my wife had made some videos for her personal training clients with a rode videomicro with good results. I didn’t notice any noise from IBIS or focus tracking.

benb
08-04-2020, 01:14 PM
I'd expect IBIS to be quieter...

Camera/Lens stabilizers are neat but I've seen the light... holy cow are gimbals on another level.

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 02:53 PM
After doing some research I think the issue is that the 5D Mk III's internal preamp sucks (as with most DSLR) due to the automatic gain control.

I am going to try to look for external amp to help with this.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7SGE72/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

ftf
08-04-2020, 03:00 PM
I use a Rode mic with my D800, and it produces good sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QCMEXIU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

benb
08-04-2020, 03:02 PM
You can turn off the automatic gain. I'd have to look at the manual to figure out how to do it but you can turn it off and then it's set by dragging your finger around the rear control wheel on the camera.... that wheel is actually a capacitive touch sensor on top of being an actual mechanical wheel. Weirdest design ever.

What the heck after 8 years I learn there's a wind filter built in too which can also be turned off:

https://wistia.com/learn/production/how-we-record-audio-canon-5d

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 03:11 PM
You can turn off the automatic gain. I'd have to look at the manual to figure out how to do it but you can turn it off and then it's set by dragging your finger around the rear control wheel on the camera.... that wheel is actually a capacitive touch sensor on top of being an actual mechanical wheel. Weirdest design ever.

What the heck after 8 years I learn there's a wind filter built in too which can also be turned off:

https://wistia.com/learn/production/how-we-record-audio-canon-5d

I tried that to. Basically switched to manual and then turn the record level to just a notch above zero.

I will see if this gadget works. Another option is get a better mic such as the shure V83F that has its own preamp and onboard recording. The issue then you have to do a post mix.

reuben
08-04-2020, 03:17 PM
I shoot the occasional sports event. I'm not responsible for video, but have thought about adding it. For a decent mic I narrowed it down to a couple of versions of Rode. You may or may not need/want a windscreen.

It's up to you if a Rode fits your budget and needs.

ergott
08-04-2020, 03:27 PM
I have a Zoom H6. You can then line out into camera so you don't have to mix in post.

This setup offers you many more options than just getting a mic.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Randoms/i-SQTFSrs/0/b99b4845/XL/IMG_20200402_211801-XL.jpg

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 03:28 PM
I shoot the occasional sports event. I'm not responsible for video, but have thought about adding it. For a decent mic I narrowed it down to a couple of versions of Rode. You may or may not need/want a windscreen.

It's up to you if a Rode fits your budget and needs.

Yeah I was ready to buy a Rode or Shure until I read about the preamp weakness of the camera.

Also application wise might make a difference. I imagine sport event or concert has a lot more background noise to mask out the hissing while recording a string instrument in a quiet room might be more challenging.

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 03:31 PM
I have a Zoom H6. You can then line out into camera so you don't have to mix in post.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Randoms/i-SQTFSrs/0/b99b4845/XL/IMG_20200402_211801-XL.jpg

ooohhh, that looks like a very nice set up.

ergott
08-04-2020, 03:46 PM
ooohhh, that looks like a very nice set up.

I just got it working as a killer webcam setup. HDMI capture cards have gotten cloned and are about $30 online.

I can also run a second, near-mic into it or any mic setup and use it to mix it all into the line in so if you have your levels right, there's almost no post work.

reuben
08-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Yeah I was ready to buy a Rode or Shure until I read about the preamp weakness of the camera.

Also application wise might make a difference. I imagine sport event or concert has a lot more background noise to mask out the hissing while recording a string instrument in a quiet room might be more challenging.

Wind noise can be a biggie, hence the windscreen/sock.

A lot depends on the application. Indoors, controlled (press conference)? Indoors uncontrolled (sports event)? Outdoors uncontrolled (boating/sailing, sports, etc.)? Just trying to get decent video and sound for family memories?

Is directional OK or desired, or do you want the full sound of the event?

It's a set of compromises, and money comes into play.

Unless, of course, you go for N+1...

benb
08-04-2020, 05:02 PM

This was what I was alluding to with my Tascam as well, I just don't actually have an external mic to use with it.

You guys are going to make me try this though.

tuxbailey
08-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Seems like for my purpose the Beachtek will be my ticket.

Will report back on how it owrks out with my cheapo mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGSpUgE0qP0

tuxbailey
08-13-2020, 08:19 AM
Just to follow up to close the loop. I received the Beachtek yesterday and it solves my problem. Very versatile. Highly recommended (or any similar preamp) for anyone who shoots video with their DSLR