PDA

View Full Version : They sure make you want a SL7

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSJ21zNyqk

jkbrwn
08-04-2020, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSJ21zNyqk

I can't quite believe the huge marketing push that Specialized have conducted on this bike. It's been insane.

Fun video, though.

Also how eye wateringly expensive they are. And that people are willing to spend that much $$$ on plastic bikes. Each to their own though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 09:26 AM
I can't quite believe the huge marketing push that Specialized have conducted on this bike. It's been insane.

Fun video, though.

I think they know they got a good bike in their hands and it will sell well.

The Williams brothers are awesome, its a good partnership.

bicycletricycle
08-04-2020, 09:33 AM
They certainly seem to be enjoying the bike in the video, well, enjoying a video shoot they are being paid to participate in.

I guess this kind of marketing works on somebody.

AngryScientist
08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Everything Spec makes is excellent in my experience. Their race geometry just works for me, and i bet this bike is a scorcher.

cool vid, it's good to see some buzz around cycling at a time that everything else is depressing and/or cancelled.

i'll never own one, but i'm looking forward to renting one in the mountains somewhere and putting it through it's paces.

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 09:42 AM
They certainly seem to be enjoying the bike in the video, well, enjoying a video shoot they are being paid to participate in.

I guess this kind of marketing works on somebody.

works on me, I absolutely want one. Not only the bike looks great but I am sure it rides amazing.

Everything Spec makes is excellent in my experience. Their race geometry just works for me, and i bet this bike is a scorcher.

cool vid, it's good to see some buzz around cycling at a time that everything else is depressing and/or cancelled.

i'll never own one, but i'm looking forward to renting one in the mountains somewhere and putting it through it's paces.

yes, people love to hate on spesh but most things they put out are excellent. Great saddles, great bikes apparently, their tires are awesome as well.

I like hype around this bike and the hype around Legion/Williams bros/ect.
Sure we can look at it as, they are trying to sell something, but anything that makes me want to go outside and rip around on a road bike, I am good with.

Robot870
08-04-2020, 09:42 AM
If you got the cash buy one - Wont make you a lick faster though.......I've had Sworks in the past and all i got was a sore back! IMO :banana:

batman1425
08-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Specialized - marketing company that makes bikes.

XXtwindad
08-04-2020, 09:47 AM
So many cool things about the video. Love the line "I was born to do this" and the "shoulder to shoulder" homage to Anquetil and Poulidor. Not only do the Williams represent racial diversity, but it looks like they actually might be able to do some push-ups, which is also refreshing.

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 09:48 AM

real question, last specialized bike you ever ridden?

unterhausen
08-04-2020, 09:49 AM
I follow Cory Williams on instagram https://www.instagram.com/nationsnumber1beast/
I'm always amazed watching his power numbers during a sprint. He really communicates the joy of riding bikes.

Mike V
08-04-2020, 09:59 AM
Can do exactly what they are doing on any bike.

Mark McM
08-04-2020, 09:59 AM

I think that describes most brands.

(Well, except the 'makes' part. While some companies actually make bikes, others are like Specialized who engineer and spec. bikes and have them made by someone else.)

Dr Luxurious
08-04-2020, 10:43 AM
That ad makes me want to ride with those guys.
It doesn't make me want the bike.

FlashUNC
08-04-2020, 10:50 AM
It has to sell well, since it's combining two product lines into one essentially, with the Venge being put out to pasture.

azrider
08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Meh..........

rallizes
08-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Meh..........

which part?

prototoast
08-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Can do exactly what they are doing on any bike.

Obviously these aren't some magic bikes that can do things other bikes can't, but we've all ridden better bikes and worse bikes, and Specialized is trying to communicate that these are "better bikes."

Dave
08-04-2020, 11:20 AM
I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's aimed at a much younger folks than me. 5000 for a frame only seems a bit ridiculous, but I did once pay 3000 for a special edition LOOK 585. I also got one with the stronger unidirectional carbon for 1800. Sold both in 2010.

Now I'm into bargains, leftover from previous years. I averaged half the 1700 msrp for each of my Colnago C-RS frames. I ride so slow, it doesn't matter what frame I have, as long as I like the looks.

oldguy00
08-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Yup, but they happen to be -really- nice bikes, along with really nice helmets, saddles, clothing, etc.
This bike is out of my price range though.. :(

Ryun
08-04-2020, 11:29 AM
My SL6 is a very nice riding bike and feels great at higher speeds. If the Sl7 rides similarly and adds marginal aero gains , I'm sure it will be a hit.

Im not ready to make the jump to disc but this would be near the top of the list for a race machine if I were.

Monsieur Toast
08-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Sweet video. Makes me want to ride a bike.

colker
08-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Very good video: it has 2 riders riding fast and one camera angle. That´s bold. Minimalistic. Casting 2 black guys is a great move.
I don´t like the soundtrack: it reminds me of street music which happen to be also played by black guys so that ruins the bold casting move into typecasting. I would rather listen to italian opera on this. Italian + afro + american + speed

CMiller
08-04-2020, 12:45 PM
I way prefer this over a pretentious video of a solo rider with fifty drone shots taking things way too seriously haha

kppolich
08-04-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm sure the Williams brothers would make any bike look fast if given the chance.

robt57
08-04-2020, 12:50 PM
Everything Spec makes is excellent in my experience.

While I still have an SL3 S-Works Tarmac which is a great hamerfesterer.

I had bought the first year disc Roubaix years back, and it lasted 4 months and I could not wait to move it along. So much for new bike and a warranty. So that one they certainly got nothing close to right IMO.

My oldie/goodie steel Stumpjumper/Sid/XT will have to get pried form my cold dead hands....

The vid/commercial is definitely #gofast rider targeted

uber
08-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Wonderful marketing for what is likely a wonderful bike. If I have the mindset to upgrade every 3 years or so to the next latest and greatest, this bike would be a consideration. Maybe I’m getting old. My latest aero, carbon, disc, electronic shifting rocket might be a bit faster than my 5 year old steel tubed/mechanical shifting/rim brake bike, but I can’t say I like it more nor does going marginally faster thrill me so much? Don’t mind me.

zzy
08-04-2020, 03:53 PM
If you count the number of UCI wins racked up on a Tarmac I don't think anything else comes close over the same period. In an age of ugly bikes, the Tarmac is rather refreshing with its clean lines. It's also nice to see a promo video where the riders seem to be actually enjoying their ride compared to the stoic faux-hardman videos from the likes of Rapha. That said I'm fairly skeptical about the aero gains of the SL7.

azrider
08-04-2020, 04:12 PM
which part?

all the hype around the new SL7

cool commercial though....JW is a friggin beast

flying
08-04-2020, 07:10 PM
That was cool but I liked this one more because the history was interesting.
This is not a bike I would buy myself but Specialized has been around & their history is still interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24p0wC4ljrg

batman1425
08-04-2020, 08:16 PM
real question, last specialized bike you ever ridden?

2005 ish Langster. Also a die hard user of Romin Evo saddles. Have had them on every one of my bikes since they came out.

Not roasting them with that comment, they are better at the marketing game than pretty much any other big manufacturer.

colker
08-04-2020, 08:27 PM
It´s easy to hate spec for the bad legal ***** they put up in the past (if they could they would have patents on bolts and tools and confiscate your tool box).
Otoh they do sell great tires and eventually great bikes.

Wakatel_Luum
08-04-2020, 08:31 PM
I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's aimed at a much younger folks than me. 5000 for a frame only seems a bit ridiculous, but I did once pay 3000 for a special edition LOOK 585. I also got one with the stronger unidirectional carbon for 1800. Sold both in 2010.

Now I'm into bargains, leftover from previous years. I averaged half the 1700 msrp for each of my Colnago C-RS frames. I ride so slow, it doesn't matter what frame I have, as long as I like the looks.

I agree in the the price seems excessive for a mass produced made in Asia frame but it seems the marketing is working well on some in here. It doesn't work on me...did when I was a teenager.

I agree Specialized make some alright products but they lost me awhile back, these days I much prefer to spend my cash on quality of quantity.

peanutgallery
08-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Forget the new tarmac, they could win a lot of friends with something as simple as a rockhopper or a sirrus at this point

Specialized has nothing available, markets like crazy, yet has all their current dealers on EOM 30. The invoice basically beats the bike to a a dealer's doorstep and folks call incessantly for something that isn't available until January. Geat products, but the MBAs have taken over the sales team. Unfortunate combination

For the record, love my epic evo, chisel, stumpjumper and Diverge...but the rep isn't allowed in the store