PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I fixed my bike!

CaptStash
08-03-2020, 07:14 PM
So...my Blue AC1 got tripped over when it was on my son's Kickr. Long and the short of it was a broken chainstay. All the quotes for a repair were around $500-$600, which is about what the frame is worth. In the meantime, I got smacked into by a commercial fishing boat in rowing shell, and had to get my carbon repair skills on anyway. After teh boat repairs came out well, I decided to have a go at the Blue.

I sanded it down pretty aggressively, then installed two layers of unidirectional carbon on each side of the chainstay, along with one layer on the top and bottom. I finished it with a signle layer of carbon weave. When it was done, the drive side stay was noticeably stiffer than the non-drive side, so I am pretty confident of the repair.

Not ready to hang out a shingle - but still pretty happy with this.

CaptStash....

muz
08-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Very nice! How did you compact the carbon layers?

kmla320
08-03-2020, 07:21 PM
well done!!!!

CaptStash
08-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Very nice! How did you compact the carbon layers?

I didn't - and am not clear that it is necessary so long as the the carbon is fully wetted out with the epoxy. I squeegeed with my fingers (in gloves) and was pretty liberal with the goop. I did lots of sanding in between to ensure a smooth surface without voids to bond to.

CaptStash....

weisan
08-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Again...don't let the Adjudicator catch you doing crazy $hit like these....:p

muz
08-03-2020, 07:53 PM
I didn't - and am not clear that it is necessary so long as the the carbon is fully wetted out with the epoxy. I squeegeed with my fingers (in gloves) and was pretty liberal with the goop. I did lots of sanding in between to ensure a smooth surface without voids to bond to.

Interesting. At least in theory, there is extra resin that adds weight but not much strength.

And how did you finish? When I apply the final weave, the edge doesn't blend in very well. Did you sand and clearcoat afterwards?

CaptStash
08-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Interesting. At least in theory, there is extra resin that adds weight but not much strength.

And how did you finish? When I apply the final weave, the edge doesn't blend in very well. Did you sand and clearcoat afterwards?

I made sure to make the edges of the carbon well overshoot the repair, then sanded and feathered followed by a clear coat of resin. Finally wet sanded with 220 & 600 and polishing compound. Smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
08-03-2020, 08:45 PM
That's impressive. How did you determine the drive side stay to be stiffer? Just manually flexing the stays?

I hope the boat turned out well.

CaptStash
08-03-2020, 09:31 PM
That's impressive. How did you determine the drive side stay to be stiffer? Just manually flexing the stays?

I hope the boat turned out well.

Yes just manually flexing the chain stays.

Boat turned out quite well - that's what gave nme the confidence to attempt the bike repair (that and lots of fun on YouTube). The first generation Hudson singles have an inherent design flaw, so I I'll be doing the same repair on it on the other side this winter, then spray out the whole thing. It's a very old carbon boat, so it takes a bit of care and feeding. Still fast and stiff, so I'm good with it.

CaptStash....

OtayBW
08-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Again...don't let the Adjudicator catch you doing crazy $hit like these....:p

This got me to thinking:Adjudicator - a person who impartially decides or resolves a dispute or controversy.That doesn't sound like it's always such a bad thing...;)

Joel
08-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Very impresssive!

weisan
08-04-2020, 01:06 PM
This got me to thinking:That doesn't sound like it's always such a bad thing...;)

And I am thinking you probably don't want to mess with her...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/john-wick8561/images/e/ee/Adjudicator_Character_Poster.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop/width/360/height/450?cb=20190321185458

OtayBW
08-04-2020, 01:13 PM
And I am thinking you probably don't want to mess with her...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/john-wick8561/images/e/ee/Adjudicator_Character_Poster.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop/width/360/height/450?cb=20190321185458
Not sure I follow. Is she kin to you?

bicycletricycle
08-04-2020, 02:56 PM
Not sure I follow. Is she kin to you?

from a movie, john wick 3?

slambers3
08-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Yes just manually flexing the chain stays.

Boat turned out quite well - that's what gave nme the confidence to attempt the bike repair (that and lots of fun on YouTube). The first generation Hudson singles have an inherent design flaw, so I I'll be doing the same repair on it on the other side this winter, then spray out the whole thing. It's a very old carbon boat, so it takes a bit of care and feeding. Still fast and stiff, so I'm good with it.

CaptStash....

Post pix of the boat! I need to pick up a single again, sold my empacher a few years back

Ozz
08-04-2020, 03:53 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where a commercial fishing boat and a rowing shell would occupy the same stretch of water?? ;)

Allcarbon
08-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Wow, I would never even considered undertaking carbon repair on my own, but it certainly looks like it can be learned if you know what you are doing.

CaptStash
08-04-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where a commercial fishing boat and a rowing shell would occupy the same stretch of water?? ;)

The ship canal in Seattle. I was headed back towards Lake Union, and he was lining-up for the Ballard locks (heading for Alaska). I was on the right side of the channel, but doodoo happens. Luckily it was a warm morning andI know how to swim!😜

OtayBW
08-04-2020, 04:50 PM
from a movie, john wick 3?
Thanks. But my question remains....:cool: