PDA

View Full Version : Rene Herse EL and Standard casings

Smitty2k1
08-03-2020, 03:21 PM
I recently picked up a pair of RH Switchback Hill tires to replace the WTB Horizons for my cushy paved and hard packed adventures.

One of these tires is the EL casing and one is standard. Which one should go on front and which one should go on the rear?

phoenix
08-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Personally, I would put the EL on the front and run the Standard in the rear. A little more supple-ability-izing in the front is always nice.

kingpin75s
08-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Personally, I would put the EL on the front and run the Standard in the rear. A little more supple-ability-izing in the front is always nice.

That would be my preference as well.

8aaron8
08-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Agree with the above, plus rear tires tend to flat more often so a sturdier tire is a better choice there.

Smitty2k1
08-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone!

I successfully dismounted the Horizons and mounted the RH tires yesterday. Took 3 tire levers for each tire to get it off/on. These Pacenti Forza rims have some TIGHT tolerances.

Crazy how thick the tread is on the Horizons compared to the RH tires. Fingers crossed I don't get any flats, changing the tubes on the side of the road is going to be a challenge.

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 08:06 AM
yep, always stronger tire in the rear where you will have a lot more flats. I will go through 3 rear tires while keeping the same front and my front very rarely flats.

Also you are gonna love those tires... they ride so much better than the WTB tires. Reminds me I have to pick up a set myself, I have the knobby compasses which have been excellent but looking to return to slicks.

MikeD
08-04-2020, 08:49 AM

I think most people rotate the front tire to the rear when the rear wears out, so this logic won't apply.

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 08:52 AM
I think most people rotate the front tire to the rear when the rear wears out, so this logic won't apply.

no one should be doing this. You don't want a warn tire in the front, EVER.

ChristianWong
08-04-2020, 08:56 AM
no one should be doing this. You don't want a warn tire in the front, EVER.

I think the worn rear tire goes in the bin, the front goes to the rear, and a new tire goes on the front.

That's been my strategy for MTB tires, at least.

R3awak3n
08-04-2020, 09:29 AM
I think the worn rear tire goes in the bin, the front goes to the rear, and a new tire goes on the front.

That's been my strategy for MTB tires, at least.

oh yeah. I thought he was talking about rotating tires and that is a no no but yeah the front, if still in good shape can go in the rear.

RJR
08-04-2020, 12:39 PM
I have found with the RH tires, the first time I mount them involves bruised thumbs, lots of levers, and a generous amount of "adult words." The next time I need to move them, they have loosened up a bit and it's no big deal with one small lever.

Also, have been running the ELs on multiple bikes for a long time. Just had my first flat in over three years--a nasty piece of glass on the trail. I have a theory that flats are like celebrity deaths and I'm about to have several more.