PDA

View Full Version : Search & State

jpw
08-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Does someone have good things to say about Search & State clothing? More for bikepacking.

happycampyer
08-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Can’t speak to bikepacking, but their clothes are well-made, have premium fabrics and are made in the US (if that matters to you—I think it’s a great thing).

jpw
08-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Can’t speak to bikepacking, but their clothes are well-made, have premium fabrics and are made in the US (if that matters to you—I think it’s a great thing).

I'm English, and I too think it's great to see manufacturers who can make it work by not going to China and Taiwan and Vietnam et.c. Nothing against those countries, but keeping it local is a better way. Thanks.

Dired
08-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Great stuff, had their merino base and the original jersey for a number of years.

dbnm
08-02-2020, 01:03 PM
It's funny you should ask because I am impatiently waiting for their S2-R bibs to come back in stock.

I've only owned their jacket and vest and they were extremely well made.

scoobydrew
08-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Great stuff, had their merino base and the original jersey for a number of years.

+1

Countless number of rides, wears, and washes on my merino baselayer that's only now starting to show signs of wear.

Jeff Weir
08-02-2020, 01:50 PM
I have two of their jerseys and they are probably far my favorite

Jeff Weir
08-02-2020, 01:53 PM
I have two of their jerseys and they are by far my favorite

Steve in SLO
08-02-2020, 02:35 PM
I have a pair of bibs that seem on par with Assos best

charliedid
08-02-2020, 02:38 PM
I have the Sachs & State jersey and quite like it.

mbrtool
08-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Steve,

How do their bibs compare to Assos as far as size?

Thanks,

Ray

thegunner
08-02-2020, 02:49 PM
i have their sj-1 waterproof jacket and it's a+

dbnm
08-02-2020, 02:56 PM
If you sign up for their email list, you'll get a discount code.

kingpin75s
08-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Well made and understated. My go to brand for when I actually wear a bike jersey.

The short sleeve synthetics are great for summer and I really like the long sleeve wool versions as well. In fact, grabbed a wool long sleeve SAS for my 7:30am ride this morning.

kingpin75s
08-02-2020, 04:29 PM

+1 on this as well.

Steve in SLO
08-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Steve,

How do their bibs compare to Assos as far as size?

Thanks,

Ray

S & S fit about the same as similarly-sized Assos prosline bibs from a few years back. They seem just a *titch* tighter than my Rapha classic bibs.

mbrtool
08-02-2020, 09:05 PM
thanks,
Ray

jpw
08-03-2020, 03:36 AM

What's the fabric?

Is it a DWR finish?

Wakatel_Luum
08-03-2020, 04:12 AM
I'm English, and I too think it's great to see manufacturers who can make it work by not going to China and Taiwan and Vietnam et.c. Nothing against those countries, but keeping it local is a better way. Thanks.

Agree, always bothered me when companies move offshore to maximize profits over employing locally.

marciero
08-03-2020, 05:27 AM
Somehow I wound up with six of their jerseys. They are pretty much the only jersey I wear. I started with the S1-A, their original "riding jersey", which has a non-stretchy sort of ribbed (not the right word) fabric. It developed lots of small pulls just from, I guess, rough spots on my hands. I kept wearing it as a beater jersey and would wear it for days on end on bikepacking and camping trips. I like the fit and the quality otherwise. The pull susceptibility is down to the fabric. I gave them another shot with their S2-R "performance" jersey when they offered a discount. That fabric is stretchy and luxurious, with a fine "hand", as they say. Nice. But now mostly I wear the S1-L lightweight jerseys- yet another fabric. I just did another bikepacking trip wearing one of those every day without washing. That jersey has seen lots of use and abuse and shows little or no wear aside from sun fading on the back. The lightweight is the most versatile because you can layer or add rain jacket or vest for warmth. That material is significantly lighter and cooler than the S2-R. If I were ordering again, I would size down in the S2-R as it is the most suited for a form fit. But I like loose fit in summer jerseys generally.

Finally, I have a LS merino, which I did size down in. Generally, I prefer loose-fit in short sleeve and closer fit in long sleeve, and especially with the merino which is stretchy and warmest with a form fit. It is easily the most comfortable LS jersey I've worn, and very versatile in shoulder seasons. It is super soft and luxurious, form fit but not the least restrictive in the shoulders, often an issue for me with form fit.

Aside from the pulls on the S1-R, another sort of minor issue is very slight puckering of the collar on one of the S2-R jerseys and on the LS merino after only slight use and one or two hand washings. That has not gotten any worse, does not affect function, and just means the jersey does not look brand new.

retropean
08-03-2020, 06:41 AM
I love their jerseys, seconding what everyone else said. The RiRi zippers are a nice touch too, they Are found on a lot of high end clothing and zip so smoothly.

Monsieur Toast
08-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Signed up for their email list. Got a free shipping code, but no discount.

I'm really interested in their bibs (& jerseys), but they're a lot more than the Pearl Izumis I usually wear (no duh). Anyone know if they ever run sales?

thegunner
08-03-2020, 05:19 PM
What's the fabric?

Is it a DWR finish?

yes, but also quite breathable. I used to run it in tandem with a thermal under + SS jersey down into the mid-30's, super versatile.

GOTHBROOKS
08-03-2020, 05:46 PM
i straight up hate my search and state bibs. weirdest fit ever compared to the endo customs made ones i typically wear.

fishwhisperer
08-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Their fabrics are primo, no denying. As others have noted, the merino blend baselayers are incredible and I wear one almost every time I ride. They also make my favorite knickers.

I'd recommend the brand without reservations, though at that price range you really can't go wrong so go with what fits your body best. Kitsbow is another brand making things in the USA that is on par with SAS in terms of quality and attention to detail.